Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default What to considere buying used

I am a new guy on this site and have been looking at a few used guns. There are a few that I am really interested in and am considering making an offer. Is there anything I should be concerned with when buying used? Is there anything I need to consider or watch out for on the transfer?

Thanks
    Luke

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: What to considere buying used

1. Cost. Is the gun being offered to cheap or expensive, compared to others you have seen?

2. Condition. Is the barrel shot out? Ar there any parts missing? How is the finish? Dos the safety work?

3. Ammo cost. Sure it is a rally good deal on the gun but can you afford the $40.00 a box for the ammo?

4. Parts availability. Can you still buy magazines, firing pins for it?

5. Who are you buying it from? Is the person or shop trustworthy?

6. Do I really need this gun? This is not a factor for some of us. We want one of everything.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Pike County)

Luke,

In this post you ar missing a BIG factor to what you are asking.

What types of firearms are you talking about here? Rifles? scatterguns? pistols? airsofts?

Each gun has its reviews, and not knowing what you are looking for is hard to answer.

But my crystal ball says here is what to look for in any firearm. As a general rule of thumb.
    1- do you like it? Buy what YOU like, and what is comfy to YOU, not others.
    2- is it made by a reputable maker? S&W, Colt, Ruger etc.
    3- is it affordable? this is to buy and FEED ammo to it.
    4- Overall condition? fit and finish, rifleing, wear, etc.
    5- are replacment parts on the market?

Now on to the transfer...
    The only thing YOU need to be worried about... Is telling any lies, trying to cover up you past. It is NOT a good idea to wrongfully/LIE on any questions asked on the form. There are NO trick questions or tests. You wont be asked to hop on one foot while rubbing you head and stomach at the same time.Well if they do get a video for us...

Give more details as to what you are looking at, and what your concerns of the transfer are. then you can get better answers, and gain more knowledge. There are alot of folks here with years of knowledge, you just need to be more specific with your questions.

Snert

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Snert View Post
    Luke,
    Give more details as to what you are looking at, and what your concerns of the transfer are. then you can get better answers, and gain more knowledge. There are alot of folks here with years of knowledge, you just need to be more specific with your questions.

Snert
    I am looking at a 9mm pistol. I really like the glock 26 and the smithfield armory compact and subcompact. I want to get something I can carry and shoot at the range and not pay a lot for ammo.

In my question on the transfer, I am more concerned about the history of the gun and have no intentions of trying to pull anything off.

Thanks for the quick responses.

Quote Originally Posted by luc.who View Post
    I am looking at a 9mm pistol. I really like the glock 26 and the smithfield armory compact and subcompact. I want to get something I can carry and shoot at the range and not pay a lot for ammo.

In my question on the transfer, I am more concerned about the history of the gun and have no intentions of trying to pull anything off.

Thanks for the quick responses.
    Go with the Glock as long as it has not been beat to death. Parts are easy to come buy! When you transfer a pistol the owner must sign off. Ofcourse if the transaction seems shady then back away. Make shure the seller is the one who is signing off on the pistol.

IANAL
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Pike County)

All sales of handguns MUST be transfered at a FFL or local LEO's department. With that said most bad guys wont want to do a transfer the leagle way. so if they are not going to either listed above then walk away.

Whats a smithfield armory?? or did you want to say SPRINGFIELD armory?

Between the two you mention, find what fits YOU best. Some love glocks their a good gun.. But I dont like the way they feel, so I dont own any. I dont like the XD's either, another good gun. But I do like the smith M&P's, they to me are comfy, and I can handle them better. So its all personal preferance.

Snert..

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by luc.who View Post
    I am a new guy on this site and have been looking at a few used guns. There are a few that I am really interested in and am considering making an offer. Is there anything I should be concerned with when buying used? Is there anything I need to consider or watch out for on the transfer?

Thanks
    Luke
    I think the questions you asked were answered pretty well in previous posts. I would like to suggest one thing. I think a very important part of firearm ownership is to make youself aware of the laws. In my oppinion it is second only to the subject of safty in gun handling. This site has a lot of info on many aspects of owning guns. Welcome to the PAFOA and just dive right in.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.