Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Beaver County)

Default Shoot or no shoot

So that Slappy thread (seriously... Slappy... that kills me) has me thinking. I'm right in the same room as most people here. Someone pulls out a gun on me that qualifies them for getting shot, by me, until they are no longer endangering my life. Blabbity blah blah, we've all typed that or said that out loud. We on the same page here? Good. So on to my point.

Let's say you are... you. Standing on your porch talking to your neighbor. Up walks Shithead A. SHA (work it out) comes rolling up on your yard and starts mouthing off to you. "You <did some shit you didn't do> to me and I'm going to kill you!" and then he pulls out his gun. You are doing the right thing, on your own porch, and you have your sidearm. You draw down on SHA.

Okay, break time. Who's thinking "I shoot this asshole in his face (center mass, you get my point) until he stops trying to kill me." You are. Tell the truth. Now for the curveball. SHA sees you draw and drops his shit and runs off. You now drew your gun on a guy, and didn't shoot him.

So what do you think? Puts a twist on the "no doubt I shoot the bad guy" thing. I guess what I'm getting at is there's no absolutes. Maybe it so happens that you did everything right, and ended up not shooting. It could happen.

Just some ramblin' thoughts before bed.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Shoot or no shoot

To be honest, I expect a pulled gun to be fired. If someone's pulling a gun on me, I wouldn't be betting on him trying to scare me.

On that far, far off chance that the BG has reflexes and awareness enough to see I've returned draw and decides to disengage, and the off chance that I haven't fired yet (remember, the entire interaction is the time it takes to lift your arm), then the pistol has already done it's job and can take a nap in its holster. I have a witness (neighbor), and physical evidence (BG's gun, prints and all). Time for a call to the cops.

(Pike County)

Default Re: Shoot or no shoot

Quote Originally Posted by Python73 View Post
    "You <did some shit you didn't do> to me and I'm going to kill you!" and then he pulls out his gun.
    Boy, I hope I didn't piss anyone that badly

On the side note, what are the odds, that one manages to draw, aim and shoot faster, than actor will pull the trigger? 50/50? 90/10 in my favor? I still have 10% chances of being friggin shot and this is not how I intend to depart.

I think situational awareness rules there. From monitoring the vicinity for weird people/activity to staying close to the cover.
    Je suis déplorable