Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Thank you PAFOA members

Hello all,
    Awhile back, applied for my LTCF and was denied due to a 11 year old, unclassed drug misdemeanor. Long story, explained in my other thread, but it was so minor, PA doesn't even put it in a "class". I am currently seeking to have it expunged/pardoned.
    In the meantime, I applied for my FL and AZ. Today, after only a 12 day wait, I received my AZ permit.
    So a big thank you is in order to all PAFOA members who helped educate me in this process.
    Hopefully, one day, PA will realize that their process may not apply to all indivduals.

Thanks again,
    Thailand

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Thank you PAFOA members and a question.

I also have a quick question about GFSZ and my non-res CWP. If I am incorrect in any of my assumptions, please correct me, as I'm trying to learn before I CC.

1. When you purchase a gun, you are only allowed to go to the range/gunsmith with the gun locked and unloaded, without a CCW/LTCF.
    2. I am allowed to CC except within 1000ft of a GFSZ with my non-res CWP.

Now my question. If I am driving and find myself coming to a GFSZ, can I put my gun into a locked case, unloaded, proceed through the school zone, and continue to CC once I am 1000ft away?

Sorry if this seems like an odd question, but I just would like to be sure beforehand. I did do a search, but didn't seem to find a similar situation.

Thanks in advance. This site is a wealth of information.

(Fayette County)

Glad it worked out for you!

Many of us have had past "legal hiccups". We learned from our mistakes and are better citizens because of it.
    We deserve the right to self defense just like every other non felon!
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by thailand View Post
    I also have a quick question about GFSZ and my non-res CWP. If I am incorrect in any of my assumptions, please correct me, as I'm trying to learn before I CC.

1. When you purchase a gun, you are only allowed to go to the range/gunsmith with the gun locked and unloaded, without a CCW/LTCF.
    2. I am allowed to CC except within 1000ft of a GFSZ with my non-res CWP.

Now my question. If I am driving and find myself coming to a GFSZ, can I put my gun into a locked case, unloaded, proceed through the school zone, and continue to CC once I am 1000ft away?

Sorry if this seems like an odd question, but I just would like to be sure beforehand. I did do a search, but didn't seem to find a similar situation.

Thanks in advance. This site is a wealth of information.
    Use the reference library to find the statute that relates to your questions.
    6106 covers the first two(absent a valid license):

6106(b)(8) says that if you are going to the gunsmith, the firearm needs to be unloaded and in a secure wrapper.

6106(b)(4) says that while going to or coming from the place you target shoot, you can carry concealed, or in a vehicle, but the firearm must be unloaded. While at the place where you are target shooting, you may carry concealed and it can be loaded.

The gun free school zone thing is a bit tricky. Read it. While I have never heard of anyone being prosecuted under the GFSZA, the possibility does exist. With no license, IIRC, you may not possess a firearm in a GFSZ, unless you live within it, and are on your own property. The ATF has decided that you must have a license issued by the state the GFSZ is in. The act itself indicates that you are good with a reciprical license. Make your own informed decision, after reading up on it.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Thank you PAFOA members

Thanks guys for the responses. I'm glad that I can CC, but I don't want to be a horror story...

And you are right, the GFSZA is very tricky. I've read it a few times, but always come up with multiple conclusions when I think of how it pertains to my question. Then again, I was never very good at completely understanding legal jargon.

I feel that I can CC anywhere, as my non-res permit allows me to, but when I come up to a SZ, I must put in in a locked container, unloaded. And if I am stopped by a LEO, it is in the locked container, unloaded. I read the law as "you cannot CC within 1000ft of a school zone on a non-res permit"...but if you are outside that, feel free to, even if my destination is not a target range.

Please feel free to poke holes in this. I would very much like to hear other opinions on this.

Thanks,
    Thailand

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by thailand View Post
    Thanks guys for the responses. I'm glad that I can CC, but I don't want to be a horror story...

And you are right, the GFSZA is very tricky. I've read it a few times, but always come up with multiple conclusions when I think of how it pertains to my question. Then again, I was never very good at completely understanding legal jargon.

I feel that I can CC anywhere, as my non-res permit allows me to, but when I come up to a SZ, I must put in in a locked container, unloaded. And if I am stopped by a LEO, it is in the locked container, unloaded. I read the law as "you cannot CC within 1000ft of a school zone on a non-res permit"...but if you are outside that, feel free to, even if my destination is not a target range.

Please feel free to poke holes in this. I would very much like to hear other opinions on this.

Thanks,
    Thailand
    What non-res permit do you have?

(Montgomery County)

I currently have the AZ permit, and I'm awaiting the FL one.

(Monroe County)

That being the case, I am not confident, if you take the popular interpretation, that casing your firearm to travel through the GFSZ will help you. Personally, I don't believe the GFSZA can be legally enforced, and that the only prosecution one would expect would be a tack on charge, but YMMV.

(Montgomery County)

I see... so am I correct in assuming:

I am allowed to drive in a GFSZ with my weapon unloaded and cased if my destination is a target range.

I am not allowed to drive in a GFSZ with my weapon unloaded and cased if my destination is not a target range.

Or, do I just have to avoid GFSZ altogether? Honestly, before I had any permit, I may have driven through one, but it was to go to the range.

Obviously I can't CC in a GFSZ.

Sorry if it seems I am repeating myself, but I want to make sure I completely comprehend what I can and can't do.

Thanks for putting up with my line of questions. I'm basically trying to see if destination matters...

(Venango County)

Too bad our GPS systems don't have a button to route due to firearms laws. Maybe someday...any takers?

Also would be nice to have a motorcycle warning when approaching or crossing state lines!

But for your case Thailand, I would try to route around school zones whenever possible. With today's internet you could probably make routes to avoid schools though it might be a pain; it would only be temporary until you can get the LTCF from PA.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast