Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default I don't know where...

...to begin with this one, what are your thoughts?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,314941,00.html

1st - I don't believe in atheists.
    2nd - If atheists do exist...I think we should remove them from under god.

In no way am I knocking whatever anyone believes...but we are a country built on a faith in god...no where does it say what god.

(Berks County)

Default Re: I don't know where...

This is old news. To be honest, the original pledge did not have "under God" in it and I am not overly averse to removing it from the pledge today. This is really one of those six of one half a dozen of the other things to me.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Allegheny County)

atheists definitely do exist...as i am one of them.

if i were writing the pledge or designing our money, neither would mention god. but, i don't really care if they do or not...just not worth getting worked up over.

of course, hearing theists say things like "atheists should be removed" makes me lean a little more toward fighting to remove references to god...as that attitude crosses the line of freely practicing religion into the arena of forcing religion on others--which, frankly, is not at all what this country is about.

at any rate, imho, we have much bigger issues to deal with in this country than whether or not the pledge or our currency mentions god.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    atheists definitely do exist...as i am one of them.
    That first part was just dumb on my part, repeating what a so called comic has stated. Lewis Black I believe.
    I have a friend who is also an atheist & a vegan, our conversations can get interesting. We've determined that there are more important things at hand than what one believes and doesn't believe also. Thank you for not getting to pissed at me. He is the only one I know with these beliefs, I wanted input from others.
    I'm torn...I've read the bible, it's a book definatly open to interpitation.
    But I can't help but think if there is a god then why do we have to endure the pain and suffering that runs rampant in the world...just seems ungodly.
    And yes this is old news but reoccurring...in general how can we as a nation please everybody?

It just occured to me that in the rules it states not to discuss religion on this forum...sorry people. I like to look at the world from the eyes of others.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by P89 View Post
    Lewis Black I believe.
    i love lewis black--he cracks me up...i don't think i saw that bit, though.

It just occured to me that in the rules it states not to discuss religion on this forum...sorry people.
    i didn't realize there was a rule against discussing religion either. i can understand the reasons behind the rule, but i also think discussing religion is fun as long as people (on either side) don't get overly defensive and insulted.

I like to look at the world from the eyes of others.
    a very worthwhile endeavor, imho.

(Berks County)

Hey, guys, come on. If that rule were ever enforce neither NineseveN or I would be allowed anywhere near this board. The idea, at least I believe, is to keep it civil. We can discuss all kinds of issues that can cause each other heartburn, politics comes to mind , but if we keep it civil all is cool. Just my $.02.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Berks County)

It just occured to me that in the rules it states not to discuss religion on this forum...sorry people. I like to look at the world from the eyes of others.
    Sorry P89, this is incorrect. There is nothing in the rules:
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/rules-129...rum-rules.html

which states that discussion of religion is not allowed. All the rules state, under the section "No excessively hateful content", is the following:

If discussing topics that may have strong ties to race, religion, etc. (such as illegal immigration or terrorism) please refrain from using slurs and ridiculous generalizations, the same point can be made other ways.
    My personal interpretation of the above rule (not an official PAFOA statement here) is that when discussing religion, be respectful. People take their religious beliefs seriously, and such topics should be approached with dignity. Any over-the-top disrespect or insult of one's religion will result, at the very least, in the thread being closed.

With that said, if a discussion on religion is underway and being handled appropriately, and someone has a problem with the discussion because it hurts their feelings, that person should stop reading the thread and move on. We're not going to close down threads because people have thin-skins and can't handle criticism.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    i didn't realize there was a rule against discussing religion either. i can understand the reasons behind the rule, but i also think discussing religion is fun as long as people (on either side) don't get overly defensive and insulted.
    As you pointed out before it accomplishes nothing that is overly important.

Maybe it wasn't Lewis Black...I suffer from CRS.

If you don't mind me asking...did you always have this belief?
    or after much thought did it occur to you?

It hit me like a rock...then I started questioning everything.
    Last edited by ChamberedRound; December 4th, 2007 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Fixed quote

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    Sorry P89, this is incorrect. There is nothing in the rules:
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/rules-129...rum-rules.html

which states that discussion of religion is not allowed. All the rules state, under the section "No excessively hateful content", is the following:

My personal interpretation of the above rule (not an official PAFOA statement here) is that when discussing religion, be respectful. People take their religious beliefs seriously, and such topics should be approached with dignity. Any over-the-top disrespect or insult of one's religion will result, at the very least, in the thread being closed.

With that said, if a discussion on religion is underway and being handled appropriately, and someone has a problem with the discussion because it hurts their feelings, that person should stop reading the thread and move on. We're not going to close down threads because people have thin-skins and can't handle criticism.
    Wasn't the first time I've been wrong...nor the last.
    The first post was provocative to get reaction, I am truely open to the mind set of others for understanding.

(Berks County)

Wasn't the first time I've been wrong...nor the last.
    The first post was provocative to get reaction, I am truely open to the mind set of others for understanding.
    Understood. I wasn't criticizing your provocative post, there's plenty of those around here. I was merely pointing out that you paraphrased the forum rules incorrectly. No harm, no foul.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast