Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Enfield No.5 Jungle Carbine

Just bought a jungle carbine off a member and I'm very happy ! Are there any experts out there on Enfields? Every thing I have looked up shows that this one is genuine. I was looking to find more information based on serial number, etc..
    Thanks !
    Steve

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Enfield No.5 Jungle Carbine

Congrats. Pics would help naturally. Are there any markings in particular you want looked up or any specific questions? The Skennerton book has production tables I believe...

(Montgomery County)

Only two makers. BSA and Fazakerley. Measure the front band distance from the rear of the chamber, should be almost 8.5 inches. If 10 or so, then somebody cut down a No 4. In addition, the rear micrometer sight should be 0 - 800 yds. If 1000 or a peep sight, then again a cut down Mk 4. Must also have the lightening cuts at the rear of the receiver and a hollow bolt head. Numbers on the bolt and receiver should match and they were made from late 1944 to perhaps 1947. Also check the head spacing. the SAMMI (sp?) gauges are incorrect. Brian Dick Ltd in SC has (or had) the correct Lee Enfield gauges make by Arrowmark in Australia. Not cheap, but it does save having the bolt come back rather fast!! Dave_n

(Cumberland County)

Everything checks out per the info. in Dave's post. The serial number is
    V666x and is dated 4/46. Was just looking for any information based on serial number and year ? Really a nice looking rifle with clean bore, nice wood, just some character marks, even the but plate is in great shape ! Here are a couple pics - can't wait to take her out !

the "tonnes" marking should be just in front of the hand guard.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Stooperzero View Post
    the "tonnes" marking should be just in front of the hand guard.
    sorry for my ignorance, but what is the tonnes marking?

Great Action and a piece of history. I have done some research on the "Jungle" Enfield and have read they can have a Zero issue. Looks like a real nice pc. and congrats .

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo Whiskey View Post
    Great Action and a piece of history. I have done some research on the "Jungle" Enfield and have read they can have a Zero issue. Looks like a real nice pc. and congrats .
    Thanks ! I read a little about the zero issues too. Most say they have zero issues, but some have said it was "made up" in order to get newer rifles that the military wanted ?? I'll see how mine is when I take her out - hopefully she will be as the previous owner stated - dead on

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    sorry for my ignorance, but what is the tonnes marking?
    The "Tonnes Marking" is all that stamping on most British made arms that state the calibre and the pressures they develop with normal ammunition loadings. It was, and still is I believe, an EXPORT marking for any arm leaving the UK. It is not an IMPORT mark as is sometimes stated. It is not to be confused with US importers markings which have had be applied to arms imported from anywhere per the provisions of the GCA "68. If the weapon was imported prior to the GCA "68 they would still be there. Hopefully yours was. Sometimes "Made In England" is also stamped upon export as well.
    These markings are in addition to the proof marks applied at the time of production.

In addition to the other items mentioned, one way to readily tell if your No.5 is a "real" one is to check and see if there is a reinforcment tab on the receiver just below the exposed bold head behind the breach. The rest of the lightening cuts are below the wood.

These lightening cuts had the unfortunite tendency to create a wandering zero problem with the No.5. The was caused by not enough metal at the receiver/barrel juncture to absorbe the heat generated by repeated firing. It was just enough to create a minor amount of warpage and cause the zeroing problem. This, along with Britain's search for a self-loading rifle, killed the No.5 for extensive post war service. The No.5 was only widely used in the Malayan Emergency in the "50s and in Kenya during the Mau Mau Uprising.

One interesting item that does not apply to your rifle is there were a VERY FEW, VERY EARLY No.5s that were made from off-the-line No.4 receivers. This made some sense as the No.5 is decended from the No.4 and these were pre-production rifles of sorts. One must be cautioned that these rifles were few and it takes an advanced collector to sort them out from the commercialy re-worked No.4s and the fake collector rifles.

I saw the pics and your rifle looks like a nice piece. Congrats.

(Monroe County)

The M5 jungle carbine is a sweet Gun well almost as sweet as a FR8, have fun man and enjoy it in spite of the wandering zero i'm sure its not your MBR, The M5 JC saw a lot of action in Borneo before the L1A1 came along in the 50's
    Incidentally BSA' Birmingham small arms made some fantastic motorcycles in the 50's and 60'son up through the early 70's I believe they were the first to make a 1000cc motorcycle at only 2 cylinders at that. Just a bit of history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast