Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Question Registration of firearm for Sportsman's Firearm Permit??

Was just looking at the UFA for something else when this caught my eye. The bolded parts, in the below quote, sounds like it is saying that you have to register a firearm(s) when getting your SFP, and that that registration can be revoked.

It doesn't say that the SFP can be revoked.

I'm confused Does anyone understand this...or am I missing something (besides some brain cells)

BTW, I have never had a SFP and have no intention of getting one. Just curious.

And besides... there is no gun registry in PA!!!!!!!

The following can be found here

(c) Sportsman's firearm permit.--

(1) Before any exception shall be granted under paragraph (b)(9) or (10) of this section to any person 18 years of age or older licensed to hunt, trap or fish or who has been issued a permit relating to hunting dogs, such person shall, at the time of securing his hunting, furtaking or fishing license or any time after such license has been issued, secure a sportsman's firearm permit from the county treasurer.

The sportsman's firearm permit shall be issued immediately and be valid throughout this Commonwealth for a period of five years from the date of issue for any legal firearm, when carried in conjunction with a valid hunting, furtaking or fishing license or permit relating to hunting dogs. The sportsman's firearm permit shall be in triplicate on a form to be furnished by the Pennsylvania State Police.

The original permit shall be delivered to the person, and the first copy thereof, within seven days, shall be forwarded to the Commissioner of the Pennsylvania State Police by the county treasurer. The second copy shall be retained by the county treasurer for a period of two years from the date of expiration. The county treasurer shall be entitled to collect a fee of not more than $6 for each such permit issued, which shall include the cost of any official form.

The Pennsylvania State Police may recover from the county treasurer the cost of any such form, but may not charge more than $1 for each official permit form furnished to the county treasurer.

(2) Any person who sells or attempts to sell a sportsman's firearm permit for a fee in excess of that amount fixed under this subsection commits a summary offense.

(d) Revocation of registration.--Any registration of a firearm under subsection (c) of this section may be revoked by the county treasurer who issued it, upon written notice to the holder thereof.

(Washington County)

Default Re: Registration of firearm for Sportsman's Firearm Permit??

years ago you had to put the serial number of the firearm on the permit ,and needed a separate permit for each one . you dont have to do that now.

(Monroe County)

(c) says the permit is valid for any legal firearm, not that it is issued to a specific firearm.

There is nothing in subsection (c) about registering a firearm, so (d) doesn't really mean anything if you look at it on it's face. I am fairly sure, though, that it will be interpretted to mean that they can revoke the permit upon notice.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Monroe County)

I have a sfp and i did not have to register anything, that was about a year ago though.

(Montgomery County)

The last paragraph seems to be missing the word "permit" since a Sportsman's Firearm Permit will be registered with the County Treasurer who issued it and can be revoked by that county treasurer.

But no County Treasurer registers a firearm, so even if registration existed, how could a county treasurer "revoke" a registered firarm.

It just seems to be piss poor writing. Makes no sense in the context of the preceding paragraphs.

Now I know why there's always work for lawyers.