Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Red face Looking for some help here Regarding a conceal carry licance with prior record

Hello to all, I am new to this forum. I was hoping to get some information regarding to applying for a conceal carry licence. I am currently 24 years of age and am a law abiding citizen who has had a few blemishes on his permanent record. I would like to know if I have a good chance of receiving a LTCF. Back when I was 16 I was not in the right mindset and tried marijuana the second time I ever used it was my last as I was caught by the police and received a marijuana ACD charge in N.Y.C and plead guilty(because I was) after that I stayed away from all drugs and even alcohol. I then at the age of 23(last year) Was arrested due to a non violent crime which was possession of a knife(legal)which I used for work as a maintenance guy but was dropped to a charge of Disorderly Conduct (in N.Y.C ). It is considered a violation there. Both charges were sealed & expunged. I recently moved to thePittsburgh area more specifically the Monroeville area.I am a Proud owner of a few firearms 5 rifles, 2 shotguns and 3 Handguns . I would now like to not only own a firearm but also carry it as well as of last summer I was robbed by three assailants at gunpoint I am a 6'6" tall 275 pound guy but even I wouldn't stand a chance against a bullet . I have taken Gun safety courses and have a Certificate of good conduct from N.Y. Can I still be eligible to receive a LTCF ?

Much appreciated,
    F.C
    Last edited by Fellow-Citizen; November 15th, 2010 at 09:24 PM.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Looking for some help here Regarding a conceal carry licance with prior record

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/383...-firearms.html

Based on what you have posted, I do not believe you meet the legal qualifications to receive a PA LTCF.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Default Re: Looking for some help here Regarding a conceal carry licance with prior record

Thanks for the reply,Would I by any chance be able to get a LTCF after a certain amount of time? or am I banned forever?

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fellow-Citizen View Post
    Thanks for the reply,Would I by any chance be able to get a LTCF after a certain amount of time? or am I banned forever?
    Assuming you take no action, the disability would be permanent.

The only option I'm aware of would be a pardon, then expungement from your record. The pardon/expungement would need to come from the state in which the conviction occurred. PA can't pardon/expunge for an offense that happened in NY.

ETA - I missed that the OP stated the charges were already expunged. If that is indeed the case, then there should be no issue with owning/possessing OR obtaining a LTCF.
    Last edited by gnbrotz; November 15th, 2010 at 09:59 PM.

(Monroe County)

If the record has been expunged, as the OP states, then is he not able to simply answer the related questions on the application, "No", and that is that? I was under the impression that expungement means it never happened, and a pardon means you have been forgiven for something that did actually happen...

If the record has been expunged, I would imagine that he would pass PICS, no?

ETA~ For the record, in N.Y. ACD is Adjurnment in Contemplation of Dismissal... IIRC...
    Last edited by headcase; November 15th, 2010 at 09:54 PM.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(York County)

While we're talking about licensing, having a drug conviction also means you cannot possess or use any firearms in PA. In your OP you mention owning a number of rifles, handguns, etc. I suggest you contact a knowledgeable attorney immediately. My guess is you are already in violation of PA law, it may be a 3rd degree felony to be in possession while prohibited.

I'm researching this from my cell phone, or my research would be better.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    If the record has been expunged, as the OP states, then is he not able to simply answer the related questions on the application, "No", and that is that? I was under the impression that expungement means it never happened, and a pardon means you have been forgiven for something that did actually happen...

If the record has been expunged, I would imagine that he would pass PICS, no?

ETA~ For the record, in N.Y. ACD is Adjurnment in Contemplation of Dismissal... IIRC...
    I'm with you, Headcase.

If they are indeed expunged, then they are not disqualifying and aren't a readily accessible part of your history without a courtorder to open them.

(Chester County)

i dont see how it would be a problem if the possesion was when he was only 16. would it even show up being since he was under 18. I would just go apply for the license if it was me. Worst case scenario, you get denied. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Assuming you take no action, the disability would be permanent.

The only option I'm aware of would be a pardon, then expungement from your record. The pardon/expungement would need to come from the state in which the conviction occurred. PA can't pardon/expunge for an offense that happened in NY.
    The charges were sealed after 6 months of staying clear of any other mishaps and then I had them expunged.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    having a drug conviction also means you cannot possess or use any firearms in PA.
    I don't agree. My understanding is that ANY drug conviction does make one ineligible for licensing, but it must be an M1 or higher to prohibit possession.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast