Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default CNN and "The Life Of A Gun" story

Flipping thru the stations this morning and came upon CNN (which I never watch because they are news HACKS!) but saw a story they produced that was entitled 'The Life Of A Gun'. They discussed how a dirtbag gang member from IL was involved in gun traffic.
    They said that this guy 'preyed' on college students who needed the money and paid them $100 and a shopping list so they would go into a gun store and buy certain guns and then turn them over to him.

NOT THAT I AM SURPRISED.........BUT what they forgot to mention in their unbelievably biased news CRAP was that these 'poor college students' were committing FEDERAL OFFENSES. They didn't happen to mention if these 'poor college students' happened to get charged (Doubtful). But they did take great pains to discuss how many crimes were committed with the guns that the trafficer did end up purchasing thru straw purchasers.

Pisses me off because of the blatent and unbelievable bias and downright misinformation that comes out of these 'news' agencies. Lying liars and the lies that they tell!!

Apparantly this is going to be a week long series of short news stores. Here is the link. They don't allow comments (imagine that!)

http://my.bresnan.net/video/play/387799/channels/cnn/us

Default Re: CNN and "The Life Of A Gun" story

Quote Originally Posted by JohnUSCG View Post
    Flipping thru the stations this morning and came upon CNN (which I never watch because they are news HACKS!) but saw a story they produced that was entitled 'The Life Of A Gun'. They discussed how a dirtbag gang member from IL was involved in gun traffic.
    They said that this guy 'preyed' on college students who needed the money and paid them $100 and a shopping list so they would go into a gun store and buy certain guns and then turn them over to him.

NOT THAT I AM SURPRISED.........BUT what they forgot to mention in their unbelievably biased news CRAP was that these 'poor college students' were committing FEDERAL OFFENSES. They didn't happen to mention if these 'poor college students' happened to get charged (Doubtful). But they did take great pains to discuss how many crimes were committed with the guns that the trafficer did end up purchasing thru straw purchasers.

Pisses me off because of the blatent and unbelievable bias and downright misinformation that comes out of these 'news' agencies. Lying liars and the lies that they tell!!

Apparantly this is going to be a week long series of short news stores. Here is the link. They don't allow comments (imagine that!)

http://my.bresnan.net/video/play/387799/channels/cnn/us
    lol. it's a crap series, no doubt. not all that biased, just not all that well done. but not sure why you're up in arms over the failure to mention that the purchasers were committing federal crimes. unlike fox, i think CNN assumes its average audience is intelligent enough to figure some things out themselves, without over-editorializing it, or cramming [fake] facts down their throats. whether or not the college students were committing a crime was not the point of the story - the point of the story was how gun trafficking occurs. if they had done the opposite (and focused on the college students) there would be twenty faux news watchers whining how they focused on the white teenagers, and not the black criminal (the actual trafficker) and how PC BS is ruining "are" country.

i was surprised, actually, by how few gun trafficking investigations are ongoing by the dept. in question. it's a smaller problem than i realized. CNN glossed over this.

i also like how the dad, retired cop, shot at the gangsters in Chicago that killed his son, and this was included in the story as a seeming positive note. if i was a chicagoan i'd be saying "wait, what about MY right to have a handgun like the old man!" (Yeah yeah i know the law has technically changed, but the hurdles are still there).

The biggest failure in the story, in my opinion, is that they fail to highlight the fact that guns are being trafficked by criminals into the hands of criminals, to states with overly strict gun laws. they should focus on the "if guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns" reality. i agree that they may have some innate bias against doing so. unfortunately that bias is reflected among a lot of centrists, including moderate repubs i know.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueGunGuy View Post
    but not sure why you're up in arms over the failure to mention that the purchasers were committing federal crimes. unlike fox, i think CNN assumes its average audience is intelligent enough to figure some things out themselves, without over-editorializing it, or cramming [fake] facts down their throats. whether or not the college students were committing a crime was not the point of the story - the point of the story was how gun trafficking occurs. if they had done the opposite (and focused on the college students) there would be twenty faux news watchers whining how they focused on the white teenagers, and not the black criminal (the actual trafficker) and how PC BS is ruining "are" country.
    Well...one reason I am 'up in arms' is because on it's face...it is supposed to be a story on illegal gun traffic. By glossing over what is, undoubtedly, a MAJOR component of how straw purchasers are completing their deed....it gives the casual watcher the impression that the only bad guy is the guy behind the straw purchase. False! Major failure to deliver FACTS. It still purports that there is a 'loophole'. I never said they should 'focus' on the college students who were doing the purchasing....I simply said they ommitted the fact that they are a major part of the gun trafficking that occurs.

And second.....who said the teenagers who did these straw purchases were white? Where did that come into play in the story? Not a very good assumption on your part! I don't care if they were white, black, green or blue......FEDERAL law says they committed a felony. That should have been included in the story.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnUSCG View Post
    Well...one reason I am 'up in arms' is because on it's face...it is supposed to be a story on illegal gun traffic. By glossing over what is, undoubtedly, a MAJOR component of how straw purchasers are completing their deed....it gives the casual watcher the impression that the only bad guy is the guy behind the straw purchase. False! Major failure to deliver FACTS. It still purports that there is a 'loophole'. I never said they should 'focus' on the college students who were doing the purchasing....I simply said they ommitted the fact that they are a major part of the gun trafficking that occurs.

And second.....who said the teenagers who did these straw purchases were white? Where did that come into play in the story? Not a very good assumption on your part! I don't care if they were white, black, green or blue......FEDERAL law says they committed a felony. That should have been included in the story.
    for what it's worth, when they aired the story again two minutes ago (I have CNN on in the background) the anchor went off on the fact that the college students committed serious crimes, and shouldn't it occur to someone that if some guy is paying you to buy him a gun, because he apparently can't, it may be used for something bad. the anchor actually gave the woman who did the segment some grief over this. the segmrent prodocuer was like "he felt bad" and the anchor was like "it should be pretty obvious to anyone that that was the wrong thing to do."

i do agree that cnn segment producers can be pretty simple-minded, and it often taked the anchors to point out obvious issues, or raise objectivity issues.

at the end of the day there are no completely reliable network or website sources out there. we have to rely on ourselves to get diverse news sources, and use our brains to filter and interpret content.