Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OC - oh no!

Default OC - oh no!

i don't open carry. although my employer is tacitly ok with my concealed carry, i deal with a lot of different people that are the basis of my income, that may or may not be pro-2A.

that said, i support and thank all of you that are willing to put up with the bs associated with OC. here's one of the main reasons why, and food for thought for those that CC, but oppose defending the right to OC (and i don't mean hunting):

what if every trivial exposure of your firearm was punishable by law?

what if every time you bent over the wrong way in the supermarket, a guard or police officer had the discretionary power to lock you up?

what if every time someone caught sight of your gun, a MWAG call goes in, and you have to spend 2 hours in lockup?

don't think it can't happen.

if you don't want to OC, well that's ok. but don't sling arrows at those who do.

(Pike County)

Default Re: OC - oh no!

Hmmm. That would be called "I live in New York" . Exactly what is your point? I'm not connecting the dots between draconian firearms laws, examples of which are on the books for our neighbors to the East, and OC in Pennsylvania. I'm all for the right to OC, and think the laws in NY and NJ suck. I live in PA because the laws in NY and NJ suck - I voted with my feet and my tax dollars.

All that said, creating binary scenarios is just fear mongering for our side, no different than the silly fear mongering the anti's use.

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    i don't open carry. although my employer is tacitly ok with my concealed carry, i deal with a lot of different people that are the basis of my income, that may or may not be pro-2A.

that said, i support and thank all of you that are willing to put up with the bs associated with OC. here's one of the main reasons why, and food for thought for those that CC, but oppose defending the right to OC (and i don't mean hunting):

what if every trivial exposure of your firearm was punishable by law?

what if every time you bent over the wrong way in the supermarket, a guard or police officer had the discretionary power to lock you up?

what if every time someone caught sight of your gun, a MWAG call goes in, and you have to spend 2 hours in lockup?

don't think it can't happen.

if you don't want to OC, well that's ok. but don't sling arrows at those who do.

(Monroe County)

I dont OC, but only for Tactical reasons, but i do support OC and the people who do it , if you dont use your rights you lose them.
    I think OC is great, i wish more people would do it.

Nyman

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by RobW View Post
    Hmmm. That would be called "I live in New York" . Exactly what is your point? I'm not connecting the dots between draconian firearms laws, examples of which are on the books for our neighbors to the East, and OC in Pennsylvania. I'm all for the right to OC, and think the laws in NY and NJ suck. I live in PA because the laws in NY and NJ suck - I voted with my feet and my tax dollars.

All that said, creating binary scenarios is just fear mongering for our side, no different than the silly fear mongering the anti's use.
    i think what he is getting at with this post is that there are alot of people on here who "support" gun rights.... when it is convienent or them... alot of people think oc should be banned or outlawed... because they conceal... i work with a man who carrys a gun on a daily basis and yelled at me to cover up or stop carrying.... now i dont oc all the time... but i do know that if it wernt for the many who oc on a daily basis and have the balls to stand up to the authorities we could very well end up like our neighbors to the north and east..

there are many people on this site who think ocing is asking for trouble and there are some who in the past have voiced their opinion on the fact... nothing against them because that is their beliefs... i believe if you are going to carry, wether it be concealed or openly, you should be willing to advocate for all gun rights.. not only those that make you feel comfortable..

my .02

oc, do it for the boobies

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrepp61 View Post
    i think what he is getting at with this post is that there are alot of people on here who "support" gun rights.... when it is convienent or them... alot of people think oc should be banned or outlawed... because they conceal... i work with a man who carrys a gun on a daily basis and yelled at me to cover up or stop carrying.... now i dont oc all the time... but i do know that if it wernt for the many who oc on a daily basis and have the balls to stand up to the authorities we could very well end up like our neighbors to the north and east..

there are many people on this site who think ocing is asking for trouble and there are some who in the past have voiced their opinion on the fact... nothing against them because that is their beliefs... i believe if you are going to carry, wether it be concealed or openly, you should be willing to advocate for all gun rights.. not only those that make you feel comfortable..

my .02
    Very good point. Rep sent.
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

(Pike County)

I completely agree with this statement and with the OP's main point. My comment was not directed at the sentiment, it was directed at the doom and gloom aspect of the message.

Quote Originally Posted by B2Luv2Hunt View Post
    Very good point. Rep sent.

(Centre County)

I also fall into the "I support OC, but I don't do it." My life is already complicated enough at this point that I don't do it right now just to avoid the hassle (maybe in a little while down the line when things settle down). Also, if I'm ever in a situation where I might need it, I'd rather the BG(s) not know I have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrepp61 View Post
    i think what he is getting at with this post is that there are alot of people on here who "support" gun rights.... when it is convienent or them... alot of people think oc should be banned or outlawed... because they conceal...
    Well, picking an open carry forum for his message is an odd choice. It's a bit like preaching to the choir.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by RobW View Post
    I completely agree with this statement and with the OP's main point. My comment was not directed at the sentiment, it was directed at the doom and gloom aspect of the message.
    It is not a message of doom and gloom, it is the reality faced by people in many different parts of the country, and the perceived reality many people in this very Commonwealth operate under, including some law enforcement personnel. He simply put out some very good reasons for people, who carry concealed and yet are vehemently against those who carry openly, to rethink their positions.

As always, I could not care less how people decide to carry their personal firearms, I only ask that they not demean others for their chosen method of carry, and that was what the OP was intending to get across.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast