Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default I felt like I actually made a difference today.

I met someone today and we were talking about firearms. A ways into the conversation, it came out that he had purchased a few handguns from a neighbor and he wanted to get his LTCF, but he needed to go get the guns registered in his name. Neither he, nor the neighbor, had any idea that the sale had to go through a FFL or sheriff, that there was no "registration", or how to get his LTCF. He just paid cash for the guns, shook hands and that was that. I advised him to grab his neighbor, and head to the nearest FFL, and to just do the transaction there. We talked about the how handgun transfers were supposed to be conducted by statute, and the possible bad scenarios they could both be facing should the sale remain, shall we just say, "unfinished". I also gave him one of the nicely printed flyers I bought from Greg, and directed him here.

I have had plenty of OC conversations, a few police encounters, and have handed out or left off flyers at a shooting range, before. I have been able to answer quite a few questions on this forum, and have started a couple of threads that I hope have helped a few people out. But this was the first time I actually felt like I made a difference in someone's life, where, had I not spoken with them, they could have wound up in a whole lot of trouble, from simple ignorance of the law. Felt pretty good.

Hopefully, they'll get that done the right way ASAP, and we might get a couple of new members.

Just wanted to share that one.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

Default Re: I felt like I actually made a difference today.

+Rep [but I gotta spread it around ...]

If God didn't intend us to have guns why would he have given us a trigger finger?

(Adams County)

Good job headcase.

It's always intrigued me though... Why do we have to transfer the firearms through an FFL if there is no registration in PA?...
    Proud 3%er... We'll fight for your rights, even when you won't.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.FiredUp View Post
    Good job headcase.

It's always intrigued me though... Why do we have to transfer the firearms through an FFL if there is no registration in PA?...
    Official background check, and a way to trace it if used in a crime, are the two reasons I figure will be given... Given, of course, that the statute need be justified...

(Indiana County)

As a paratransit driver, I'll routinely stop at Sheetz for coffee (yes, I have my "frequent flyer" card - buy five cups and the sixth is free, and a refill for a mug (doesn't even have to be a Sheetz mug) is only 79 cents).

They usually have a corkboard just outside the facilities (coffee in means coffee out), and I pushpin a Pa. Open Carry flyer on it. I've never seen one last more than half a day.

If I'm out of OC flyers (rare), I'll pushpin a Zombie Response Team flyer instead.

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    . . . I advised him to grab his neighbor, and head to the nearest FFL, and to just do the transaction there. . . .
    Better that he met you first, before he met a cop and ended up in my office with a serious problem (he'd probably only have the guns confiscated, but the neighbor could be arrested.)

I like helping people out of trouble, it's a rewarding job; but it's better to keep them out of trouble in the first place. So, good work there.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Better that he met you first, before he met a cop and ended up in my office with a serious problem (he'd probably only have the guns confiscated, but the neighbor could be arrested.)

I like helping people out of trouble, it's a rewarding job; but it's better to keep them out of trouble in the first place. So, good work there.
    That is basically what I told him, along with the possibility that if a cop should happen to become involved, and knocked on the neighbor's door asking if he sold those guns to the guy, it would not be out of the realm of possibility for the neighbor to sense danger and give the old, "What!? My guns are gone?!!", routine... I think that one actually put the fear of God in him...

(Adams County)

Official background check, and a way to trace it if used in a crime, are the two reasons I figure will be given... Given, of course, that the statute need be justified...
    The bold part is why it makes me wonder. How could they trace it if it's not "registered"? I'm fine with the background check (kinda), but why would each different gun need to be transferred this way? Isn't one background check enough? If not, do serial numbers need to be involved during a transfer? If so, why?

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.FiredUp View Post
    The bold part is why it makes me wonder. How could they trace it if it's not "registered"? I'm fine with the background check (kinda), but why would each different gun need to be transferred this way? Isn't one background check enough? If not, do serial numbers need to be involved during a transfer? If so, why?
    Even without the "database", the FFL is required to keep the record of sale for a fairly long period before destroying it, IIRC...

(Adams County)

Even without the "database", the FFL is required to keep the record of sale for a fairly long period before destroying it, IIRC...
    I know how to make a record of sale on my computer... or my notepad and pen. That can include signatures, addresses, DOB, and all kind of other stuff that I may need for my PERSONAL records for my PERSONAL property. I've done that kind of thing with other pieces of property that I've sold. It bothers me that we have to do it through the government for the only pieces of property that we have that we may need to defend ourselves from a tyrannical government... Did I put "government" twice in that sentence?... Must have been a coincidence.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast