Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default fixed place of business case law??

I was reading through this, and found a reference to a "Commonwealth v. Carr" which seems to imply that the PA Supreme Court only recognizes the exception of "fixed place of business" in reference to carrying a concealed firearm without a LTCF, for the owner of said business.

From the paper:

There are several other jurisdictions with similar prohibitions
    against unregulated handguns that limit the
    ‘‘place of business’’ exception to businesses in which
    there is a possessory or proprietary interest. See, e.g.,
    Scott v. United States, 392 A.2d 4, 6 (D.C. App. 1978)
    (exception limited to those with ‘‘controlling . . .
    interest in the business premises’’); Berkley v. United
    States, 370 A.2d 1331, 1333 (D.C. App. 1977) (‘‘The common
    understanding of ‘place of business’ read in context
    with ‘dwelling house’ . . . is one of a protectible possessory
    interest. . . . [T]he exception is applicable
    only to those who have a controlling, proprietary or
    possessory interest in the business premises in question.’’);
    People v. Free, 112 Ill. App. 3d 449, 453, 445
    N.E.2d 529 (1983) (exception extended to ‘‘proprietor’s
    fixed place of business’’); People v. Clark, 21 Mich. App.
    712, 716, 176 N.W.2d 427 (1970) (exception created to
    allow people to defend place in which they have possessory
    interest); State v. Valentine, 124 N.J. Super.
    425, 427, 307 A.2d 617 (1973) (‘‘place of business’’ not
    extended to cover manager of bar owned by another);
    People v. Francis, 45 App. Div. 2d 431, 432, 358 N.Y.S.2d
    148 (1974) (‘‘place of business’’ implies possession and
    right to defend); Commonwealth v. Carr, 334 Pa. Super.
    459, 462, 483 A.2d 542 (1984) (exception limited to ‘‘persons
    who have a controlling, proprietary, or possessory
    interest in their place of business’’).
    These cases illustrate
    their respective jurisdiction’s statutory intent to
    restrict the presence of unlicensed handguns in the
    public sphere. Because we conclude that this is the
    same purpose behind § 29-35 (a), we are persuaded
    to follow the example of our sister states who have
    interpreted the phrase ‘‘place of business’’ to mean that
    in which one has a possessory or proprietary interest.8
    Strong as my Google-fu is, I cannot find the Commonwealth v. Carr decision from 1984. Anyone else care to take a whack at it?
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: fixed place of business case law??

How you know your government hates you:
    "The public interest would not be served by permitting millions of employed Pennsylvanians to carry a loaded pistol on the job." Com. v. Carr, 483 A.2d 542, 545 (Pa.Super. 1984).
    The hidden punch line:
    Millions of employed Pennsylvanians can openly carry a loaded pistol instead.

(Dauphin County)

http://scholar.google.com/scholar_ca...t=800000000002

As for honing your google-fu, here's what I did:
    googled "free pennsylvania case law search"
    5th result is "AltLaw.org is Closed", whose page says "November 19, 2009 | Earlier this week, Google announced the addition of legal cases to Google Scholar. It's good, very good. But you don't have to take our word for it: try it out yourself."
    Then I punched "483 A. 2d 542" into Google Scholar after selecting the "Legal opinions and journals" option, which wasn't selected by default.
    Carr was the first result.

I hadn't heard of Google Scholar before but I am pleasantly surprised.

(Delaware County)

After this case AFAIK one must prove a "controlling, proprietary, or possessory interest in their place of business."

Because he was "just an employee" is not enough reason to satisfy 6106(a).
    (a) Offense defined. — No person shall carry a firearm in any vehicle or concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a license therefore as provided in this subchapter.

According to the Case:
    The Statutory Construction Act at 1 Pa.C.S. § 1903(a) states in relevant part that "(w)ords and phrases shall be construed according to rules of grammar and according to their common and approved usage." "His" as used in 18 Pa.C.S. § 6106(a) is a possessive pronoun connotating ownership or control over the "fixed place of business." The gasoline service station clearly was the fixed place of business 462*462 of the proprietor, Mr. Cummings, and not the place of business of Appellant Carr because Carr had no controlling, proprietary, or possessory interest in the service station. Our legislature could not have intended to permit every employed individual in the Commonwealth to carry without a license a concealed, loaded firearm on the job site.

Personally i don't think this guy should have gotten hit like he did. This was a gray area and IMO should have been considered as such. I think they should have made it a point to make the statute to be less ambiguous because he had good intentions and was not IMO splitting hairs.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32148&dateline=128288  0834

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by VinF88 View Post
    Personally i don't think this guy should have gotten hit like he did. This was a gray area and IMO should have been considered as such. I think they should have made it a point to make the statute to be less ambiguous because he had good intentions and was not IMO splitting hairs.
    Check out the dissent, which readily points out that "permitting millions of employed Pennsylvanians to carry a loaded pistol on the job" is not really that absurd at all.

Myself, I can read fixed place of business as widely as an unchanging venue where affairs take place -- for example, if you've got a brick and mortar store, the business is the transactions of goods for money, and I think everyone who is carrying out their affairs at the fixed place is entitled. I can see place of abode read so expansively to include the immediate place of residence. I don't see how that isn't one way to read it, but I certainly can't see how the 'fixed place of business' element is so limited as to only provide for someone with a "controlling, proprietary, or possessory interest".

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by MDJschool View Post
    Check out the dissent, which readily points out that "permitting millions of employed Pennsylvanians to carry a loaded pistol on the job" is not really that absurd at all.

Myself, I can read fixed place of business as widely as an unchanging venue where affairs take place -- for example, if you've got a brick and mortar store, the business is the transactions of goods for money, and I think everyone who is carrying out their affairs at the fixed place is entitled. I can see place of abode read so expansively to include the immediate place of residence. I don't see how that isn't one way to read it, but I certainly can't see how the 'fixed place of business' element is so limited as to only provide for someone with a "controlling, proprietary, or possessory interest".
    Yeah I agree. This story hits home especially for me because my father and I own a gas service station just like the one in this case. I carry without a license right now when I'm there because I'm not yet 21. Personally I feel bad that this guy was made an example of because he was just following the statute as it seems written. He goes to work there every morning; seems fixed enough to me.

(Monroe County)

Words have meanings. While I don't believe the law should even be involved in who or where one, may carry a firearm, there is a difference between one's place of employment and one's place of business. One is where you work for someone, and one is where you run your business. To Vin, make sure you carry openly and transport it legally...

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    To Vin, make sure you carry openly and transport it legally...
    No transportation necessary however why would i have to have it open. Its our business.

(Dauphin County)

No transportation necessary however why would i have to have it open. Its our business.
    So do you have a "controlling, proprietary, or possessory interest" in the fixed place of business? That's what Carr requires. If not, you should start writing your motions and briefs now for a court case that could happen upon you. You might have the legally superior position, and I'm sure we'd applaud you for moving to overturn Carr, but Carr is just another piece of written down words that someone (police, prosecutor, judge) will try to use to back up their attack against your liberty.

(Monroe County)

If you meet the definition of an owner of a fixed place of business, then you may conceal it there. Do you ever work outside the building? Not sure they would consider that being in your fixed place of business. Take the trash out? Run out to get lunch and forget it's on you? Million ways to fuck you without a LTCF, my friend. Would not want to see you have to defend your ability to get a LTCF in the future, much less even possess a firearm, because someone called the cops and the responding cops decided to let the courts sort it out....

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast