Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Exclamation It's ALWAYS loaded...whether it's loaded or unloaded.

I recently had a very close friend of mine over to my apartment. I have several firearms, one of them being a Springfield XD45. Among the many safety features that it has, the two that I find very important are the firing pin indicator and the loaded chamber indicator. So proud of my weapon, I gave my friend the pistol to let him see it. Beforehand, I dropped the clip and locked open the slide. My attention went elsewhere as he was admiring my piece, and before no time we were talking about the next subject. I was getting ready for bed several hours later, and the last thing I do is go to my hiding spot, grab my gun, make sure there is not a round in the chamber, and place it under my bed within arm's reach. I put my hand on the gun, using my index finger to feel for the loaded chamber indicator, and my thumb to feel for the firing pin indicator. Both were engaged in firing position. I couldn't believe it, so I carefully brought the gun into the bathroom, turned on the lights and pointed the gun into the mirror to make sure. There was a hollow point staring right back at me. Apparently when my friend put the magazine back into the handgun, he released the slide thus racking a round into the chamber. My point- It's ALWAYS loaded...whether it's loaded or unloaded.

Going back to when I put my hand on the gun, I treated it as if it was loaded and dangerous. In my head, I knew that I keep my weapon with a full magazine, no round in the chamber. Little did I know, a foreign soul was in my house (who was unfamiliar with handguns) and unknowingly racked one into the chamber.

It's rule number one in handgun safety: Treat every firearm as if it's loaded, even if you "know" it's not.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: It's ALWAYS loaded...whether it's loaded or unloaded.

Quote Originally Posted by cekeller6121 View Post
    I recently had a very close friend of mine over to my apartment. I have several firearms, one of them being a Springfield XD45. Among the many safety features that it has, the two that I find very important are the firing pin indicator and the loaded chamber indicator. So proud of my weapon, I gave my friend the pistol to let him see it. Beforehand, I dropped the clip and locked open the slide. My attention went elsewhere as he was admiring my piece, and before no time we were talking about the next subject. I was getting ready for bed several hours later, and the last thing I do is go to my hiding spot, grab my gun, make sure there is not a round in the chamber, and place it under my bed within arm's reach. I put my hand on the gun, using my index finger to feel for the loaded chamber indicator, and my thumb to feel for the firing pin indicator. Both were engaged in firing position. I couldn't believe it, so I carefully brought the gun into the bathroom, turned on the lights and pointed the gun into the mirror to make sure. There was a hollow point staring right back at me. Apparently when my friend put the magazine back into the handgun, he released the slide thus racking a round into the chamber. My point- It's ALWAYS loaded...whether it's loaded or unloaded.

Going back to when I put my hand on the gun, I treated it as if it was loaded and dangerous. In my head, I knew that I keep my weapon with a full magazine, no round in the chamber. Little did I know, a foreign soul was in my house (who was unfamiliar with handguns) and unknowingly racked one into the chamber.

It's rule number one in handgun safety: Treat every firearm as if it's loaded, even if you "know" it's not.
    I really can't remember the last time my gun wasn't loaded with one in the pipe, except when it is being cleaned. Why did you "carefully" go to the bathroom and look in the mirror? Why not just turn the light on, drop the mag and eject the cartridge? The way you wrote this comes across like you were scared of the evil, loaded, death machine.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    I really can't remember the last time my gun wasn't loaded with one in the pipe, except when it is being cleaned. Why did you "carefully" go to the bathroom and look in the mirror? Why not just turn the light on, drop the mag and eject the cartridge? The way you wrote this comes across like you were scared of the evil, loaded, death machine.
    That's what I was thinking. If you're keeping it for home defense it should be loaded. The only time mine isn't loaded is if I'm cleaning it, or on a cold range.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by cekeller6121 View Post

That's a great rule, and one I abide by as my father taught me...and so I have taught my wife, and so I shall teach my children

However, I've bolded the part where you made a VERY big mistake. You never hand over your firearm to someone without keeping attention on where it is, and what they are doing with it. You might have gotten a hollowpoint in your back by someone who didn't know what the heck they were doing, and thought they were being 'cool'.

Also, why after seeing the loaded chamber indicator didn't you drop the mag and rack the slide to remove the round? If you're pointing a gun at a mirror, you run the risk of putting a round on the other side of the mirror...what--and more importantly, WHO-- is on the other sideof that mirror?

So I stand corrected...two erorrs. Actually three, since you didn't check to make sure the gun was empty when your friend handed it back to you.

I'll stop before I find a fourth because I know you're trying to help...guns are like snakes, they'll bite you if you're not careful and their poison is deadly.

camper
    It's the 2nd Amendment that protects all others

(York County)

Just a couple minor points you didn't cover in your OP...

1) Your friend (or anyone for that matter) should hand a firearm back to you the same way you handed it to him, unloaded, locked open, and verified. Certainly NOT loaded and cocked!

2) When anyone hands you a firearm, you must verify that it is unloaded and locked open before receiving it. Not allowing yourself to get distracted by something else while actually handling a loaded and cocked weapon absentmindedly.

This is how negligent discharges occur, and people end up hurt or killed. At the very least you could have shot a hole through your wife's china closet.

Don't ask me how I know.

ETA: ...and once again my slow typing has me late to the punch.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Butler County)

You didn't notice the firing pin indicator or the loaded chamber indicator when you put it back in it's secret hiding place.

(Allegheny County)

Glad no one was hurt.

I am also of the opinion that defensive arms should be kept in a condition in which they are ready to be used.

Also, be careful of becoming reliant on those "safety features" as they can fail as well. Dented case and that top chamber indicator might not go up, or it could break, or it could break up or get grit in it and give you a false positive. The cocking indicator is not actually part of the fireing mechinism, it is possible it too could could get stuck out or broken off and the gun still function fine (as it should).

Press check. Mag check.

Ive said it before and I'll keep saying it. On this board in particular for some reason people are reluctant to get some quality professional training, and yet I continually see people making the kind of simple mistakes and having bad information that would all be cleared up in one course. We are talking one long weekend and less than the cost of a new gun. Wether or not you think you need it, I think its worth that small investment in time and money for the safety of yourself and your loved ones.

thank you for the reminder of rule #1
    All guns are always loaded.
    Last edited by Shawn.L; June 13th, 2010 at 06:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    The cocking indicator is not actually part of the fireing mechinism, it is possible it too could could get stuck out or broken off and the gun still function fine (as it should).
    Actually, with XD's I believe the cocking indicator is the firing pin itself.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by nightglider View Post
    from what I recall from when I owned XD's it is not the firing pin. In fact I particularly recall a "torture test" when the indicator broke off from a drop (and tons of abuse) and the gun still ran.

I may be wrong, but I dont think so.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by nightglider View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    from what I recall from when I owned XD's it is not the firing pin. In fact I particularly recall a "torture test" when the indicator broke off from a drop (and tons of abuse) and the gun still ran.

I may be wrong, but I dont think so.

The striker (firing pin) and the cocking indicator are 2 separate pieces. You can go to the SA website, download a .pdf of the manual, and see an exploded parts diagram. I looked at the XD45 and found it on page 35.

While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast