Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Schuylkill County)

Default Incident at birthday picnic still going and going and...

Over the weekend i attended a birthday picnic for my bonus son (its only been 9 months so i won't call him step yet). His dad and his side of the family attended, which i had no problems with since its his son and i'm more than mature enough to respect that. So everyone starts showing up, i had gotten there an hour earlier to help set up the food and decorations. As i'm playing in the backyard with my two kids, the dad walks up behind me and says something like "stash your piece in your car" (did i mention he was a bit of a "hoodie?) The gun butt must have been seen while i was running around with the kids. I told him that i had a lisence and that i carried all the time so it was no big deal. He repeated his put it in the car line and added "I don't want that around the kids, its not safe." I asked him how it wasn't safe and he threw back (this time raising his voice for all to hear) "I was in the army and guns can go off without touching them if they get too hot. If i would have known it was going down like this, i would have brought my own sh*t." I asked him not to swear in front of my kids and he walked away over to his corner of the party and i laughed (on the inside) about his firing all by itself comment. So my girlfriends dad came up to me a few minutes later and asks me to put it in my car to avoid a scene. Since the party was at his house, i went to my car and returned without my gun . The rest of the party went smoothly with only a few comments from his group which i ignored. i'll also add that he came over to me later on and apoligized for swearing.

For the last two days now he has been texting her about how he doesn't want guns around his son and how he doesn't think i should be around him either because i'm a danger and irresponsible and on and on and on. It started with threats of him coming over and beating me up which quickly changed to calling the cops and child services and telling them a story about how i brought a gun to the party because i wanted to shoot him and was waving it around and so on and so forth. So here is my question:

If he tells a story to the police, what is the possibility that they would come harass me over it?

I've got plenty of witnesses including the owner of the property but then again, hearing all the horror stories on here make me think that my side of the story wouldn't matter. Thanks for your help in advance.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Incident at birthday picnic still going and going and...

Does she still have the texts or did she delete them? If she has them, I'd call the police and file a harassment complaint against him and get them to document the content of the messages. I'd also talk to anyone that was at the party to make sure they know what he's stated he plans to do. Be proactive and you'll go a long way to eliminating problems before they arise.
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mjfletcher View Post
    Does she still have the texts or did she delete them? If she has them, I'd call the police and file a harassment complaint against him and get them to document the content of the messages. I'd also talk to anyone that was at the party to make sure they know what he's stated he plans to do. Be proactive and you'll go a long way to eliminating problems before they arise.
    Document what you can how you can now!!
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Somerset County)

I agree , be very pro active , don't wait for his story to come in first .
    Don't blame me ; I voted for an American .

The guy sounds full of hot air. I doubt he'll do anything. He shows his ignorance with the "guns going off" comment. Next time someone sees it printing just tell them its a heart monitor or something. You'll win and they'll feel like a jerk.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by falcn View Post
    Document what you can how you can now!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1861 View Post
    This. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Allegheny County)

Document document document.

I don't think it would be a bad idea to file a police report every time. That doesn't mean you want to press charges, just that you want a report taken. That way, if things escalate, you can show there is a history of threats that have been documented by the police.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1861 View Post
    x2. It may not be today, but someday this guy will get mad enough to follow through. Don't let him get the upper hand because you didn't want to act first.
    It's also much better to be an evicted survivor than an obedient corpse. -GunLawyer001

What? are you guys saying that rounds just don't cook off randomly on the civilian side of the house? Unbelievable!!! LOL Jesus, what a putz to even say something like that.

Not to support dumb ass but yes, there is something called a run away gun, that can happen if a barrel gets to hot from shooting. Now, keep in mind, we are specifically talking about Machine Guns with several hundred rounds fired throughthat particular gun in a very very short period of time, usually during summer months with little to no breeze...etc...meaning that certain conditions have to be set for it to happen. I've only seen it happen a couple times in over 20 years of playing Army Infantry and you really have to work hard at getting a Machine Gun to do it.

Follow the advise already given from previous posters on documentation and filing reports.

Try to get audio and/or video recordings of him threatening you

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast