Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Prior Arrest - Florida Gun License

Hello everyone,
    I'm new to this forum so I hope I dont repeat a question that was asked before. But maybe someone can help me out with it. Here it goes;

I sent out my Florida application today (now I sit and wait). However, a few years ago, 3, I was arrested for som
    ething dumb and the charges were dropped. Will this effect my waiting period, or even approval for the permit?

I have read some information on this site that speaks about the restrictions in PA, however, I cant find anything from Florida. Im told that even one arrest, without a conviction can stop you from obtaining your permit.

Thanks,
    AIR ASSAULT TROOPER
    Last edited by AirAssaultTrooper; March 12th, 2009 at 01:59 AM.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Prior Arrest - Florida Gun License

Quote Originally Posted by AirAssaultTrooper View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I'm new to this forum so I hope I dont repeat a question that was asked before. But maybe someone can help me out with it. Here it goes;

I sent out my Florida application today (now I sit and wait). However, a few years ago, 3, I was arrested for som
    ething dumb and the charges were dropped. Will this effect my waiting period, or even approval for the permit?

I have read some information on this site that speaks about the restrictions in PA, however, I cant find anything from Florida. Im told that even one arrest, without a conviction can stop you from obtaining your permit.

Thanks,
    AIR ASSAULT TROOPER
    Try here, seeing as they are Florida and we are Pa., you may be able to get better answers. GL

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Prior Arrest - Florida Gun License

Thanks for that link, Here is the information I received, just in case anyone in the future has the same question.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/eligible.html

Eligibility

Eligibility Requirements

You must be 21 years of age or older.
    You must be able to demonstrate competency with a firearm.
    Unless you are serving overseas in the United States Armed Forces, you must currently reside in the United States (US) AND be a US citizen or deemed a lawful permanent resident alien by Department of Homeland Security, US Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS). If you are serving overseas in the US Armed Forces, submit a copy of your deployment documentation with your application. If you are not a US citizen, submit documentation issued by the USCIS proving you are a permanent legal resident alien with proof you have resided in the state of residence (as shown on your application) for at least 90 consecutive days prior to the date the application is submitted.
    Proof of residence includes, but is not limited to:

Monthly utility, telephone, power, or cable bills, which show your name and address.
    Monthly pay stubs or other documentation from your employer, which show your name and address.
    Monthly credit card statements, which show your name and address.

Possible Reasons for Ineligibility:

The physical inability to handle a firearm safely.

A felony conviction (unless civil and firearm rights have been restored by the convicting authority).

Having adjudication withheld or sentence suspended on a felony or misdemeanor crime of violence unless three years have elapsed since probation or other conditions set by the court have been fulfilled.

A conviction for a misdemeanor crime of violence in the last three years.

A conviction for violation of controlled substance laws or multiple arrests for such offenses.

A record of drug or alcohol abuse.

Two or more DUI convictions within the previous three years.

Being committed to a mental institution or adjudged incompetent or mentally defective.
    Failing to provide proof of proficiency with a firearm.
    Having been issued a domestic violence injunction or an injunction against repeat violence that is currently in force.
    Renouncement of U.S. citizenship.
    A dishonorable discharge from the armed forces.
    Being a fugitive from justice.
    Detailed explanations of these various disqualifying conditions are provided in the Application for the Concealed Weapon/Firearm License.

Sentence suspended means a person was convicted, but the Judge 'suspended' or delayed the punishment for the conviction (the 'sentence'). The conviction still stands.

If all charges were 'dropped' or 'dismissed', in the eyes of the court, it didn't happen (in simple terms).