Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Schuylkill County)

Default Texas wrong to take children from Mormons

Took a while, but it appears that the hoax has been called for what it is.

State of Texas steals 400 children from their homes for no reason. Then tries to justify abuse with an anonymous phone call.

I hope the CPS get their asses sued off for jumping the gun.

Just wait till YOUR neighbor get pissed at you and calls CPS becuase of some dumb argument you got into with them.

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: Texas wrong to take childern from Mormons

"Of the 31 sect members CPS once said were underage mothers, 15 have been reclassified as adults — one was 27 years old — and an attorney for a 14-year-old girl said in court that she had no children and was not pregnant, as officials previously asserted."

WOW, a 50% failure rate to even get the ages right.

(Monroe County)

pretty sure they were expecting more to be reclassified as well to legal age

(Washington County)

Oddly, at the same time that the evils of polygamy (which I personally oppose) are all over the news, California makes gay marriage legal.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Texas wrong to take children from Mormons

hoax, retribution, what have you. those fkrs are weird, ignorant, and have an agenda to bankrupt the US Government.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.

(Montgomery County)

I would be careful about making the mormon cults the poster children for the dangers of the government overstepping boundaries.

Yes, it came out that some of the children were taken from 18 yr old girls (not minors) and I'm not saying seizing these children was the best method, but it doesn't excuse the main issue at hand. You have a continuous system where young teenage girls are being forced into having sex and marrying 50 year old men (who claim its the will of God) . So it isn't about having more than one adult wife, that is fine if they want to do that. I just think its a shame many of these young girls don't even have a chance to get out of the system, the damage is usually done by their teens.

So my point isn't to debate Mormonism, etc, but to caution jumping into bed (no pun intended) with dubious groups to advocate our gun rights or make examples of government tyranny. JMO

I want the original judges and children and youth services to be held criminally accountable.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Warsaw Pact View Post
    So my point isn't to debate Mormonism, etc, but to caution jumping into bed (no pun intended) with dubious groups to advocate our gun rights or make examples of government tyranny. JMO
    You're correct in that the issue at hand is inexcusable on the issue of sexual abuse of girls.

However, while I don't believe anyone here is clamoring to ally themselves with the Mormons on issues of abuse, they are entitled to have their rights protected as much as any of us. The whole reason many of our god-given rights are constitutionally protected is so that those of us that live their lives or speak in a way which may not be in keeping with popular opinion can continue to do so without fear of retribution from the government. If the government wants to go after Mormon men who sexually abuse children and charge them with a crime, no problems here as long as those men are afforded their rights to face their accusers, be given representation, and be given a speedy trial. But, to take children away from their adult mothers, however distasteful they may have been conceived, is IMHO an overreach of government power, assuming these children are being cared for and also not being abused in any way. On this issue, these people and their children deserve the support of those who cherish their rights.
    Last edited by ChamberedRound; May 23rd, 2008 at 01:50 PM. Reason: after re-reading, modified a sentence to clarify my meaning.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Montgomery County)

they are entitled to have their rights protected as much as any of us.
    That's the bottom line right there. Did they break any laws? If yes, then the law-breakers should be prosecuted. If no, this is just another example of over-reaching government. If you don't like polygamy, fine, you must go though the legal channels of changing the law. Otherwise, F off and mind your own damn business. Way to waste millions of taxpayer dollars. Good job!
    Last edited by 625; May 23rd, 2008 at 11:27 AM. Reason: typo

(Monroe County)

I agree that the government went way over the line here. These people, whether or not you agree with their religious beliefs, have rights. Prove a crime has been committed and punish the person who committed the crime. As far as polygamy is concerned, the government has no right to say who should or should not be married to anyone. Gay, straight, multiple, cats, makes no difference. Marriage is a personal decision by people who want to formally state to others that they are together, and should be respected by everyone. Agreeing or disagreeing with the act itself should not preclude respecting it. It is not something the government should have it's nose in, at all, except to protect it from being attacked. Forcing kids to have sex, on the other hand, is something that needs to be prosecuted, within the framework of the law. These are principles of the basic freedoms our ancestors came here to enjoy, and upon which this country was founded.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast