Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Which gun laws trump others?

I'm having trouble getting a straight answer on gun laws... can anybody point me toward Pennsylvania legislation?

Here's one scenario... I have a permit to carry in PA, but my place of work has it's own policy against firearms in the workplace. If I'm carrying at work, and someone finds out and complains, can my employer take any action?

I'd like to think that my constitutional and state rights to legally carry a concealed weapon would trump any employer rules...

Any input?

Thanks,
    StraightShooter

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Which gun laws trump others?

Here is a link to the Pa. Uniform Firearms Act (most of Pa.'s firearms law)
    www.paopencarry.org/law/ufa.html

1) Your firearms "rights" do not trump private property rights, such as your employer's rights to have say what you can and can not do on their property.

2) Pa. is an "At will" state for employment. Your employer generally can fire you for any reason they want.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Beaver County)

Private property right trump your 2A rights. If your employer has a policy prohibiting firearms, you could be fired if they found one in your possession at work.

(Monroe County)

Hey bdevil73 and Pa. Patriot,

Thanks for the information and quick reply.
    Not exactly what I was hoping to hear, but at least I can make an informed decision on whether or not to carry at work.

StraightShooter

(Monroe County)

I can't believe Pa. Patriot didn't post this link, so here is a valuable flyer full of the truth about carrying a firearm in Pa.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Monroe County)

Thanks for the flyer! Already printed a couple of them out... I'll also pass along to other handgun owners I know.
    StraightShooter

(Montgomery County)

You have the right to carry a gun.
    Your employer has the right to fire you for breaking thier rules on Private property.

Carry at risk to your job. If found with the weapon
    (depending on where you work of course) you can be cited for trespassing, but should not impact your license to carry.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by marinakorp View Post
    You have the right to carry a gun.
    Your employer has the right to fire you for breaking thier rules on Private property.

Carry at risk to your job. If found with the weapon
    (depending on where you work of course) you can be cited for trespassing, but should not impact your license to carry.
    You can only be cited for trespass if you refuse to leave the property. IF they say leave and you do then they can't press any charges against you.

Also a lot of companies have statements about leaving items in your vehicle and that they can search them at any time, if you don't permit them to do these they can term you as well. Personally I leave my weapon in my truck in the center console (no way they can see it from outside) or by just looking, and if they break into my truck they are going to have criminal charges and civil charges filed against them.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by StraightShooter View Post
    I'm having trouble getting a straight answer on gun laws... can anybody point me toward Pennsylvania legislation?

Here's one scenario... I have a permit to carry in PA, but my place of work has it's own policy against firearms in the workplace. If I'm carrying at work, and someone finds out and complains, can my employer take any action?

I'd like to think that my constitutional and state rights to legally carry a concealed weapon would trump any employer rules...

Any input?

Thanks,
    StraightShooter
    there is a stipulation in the carry laws that states that any place that wants to refuse your right to carry within their establishment must hang the official addendum or what ever its called...that is written in the law books. otherwise they are simply asking you not to carry there. while they CAN fire you for not complying, since it was stated at the time of hire, they can not go so far as to say, call the police and have charges brought against you.if at the time of hire they say that you may not have a gun there, and you still take the job, it is basically agreeing to these rules.however a line gets drawn when it is left in your car or something of that nature.even if its in their lot, its your property(your car).if your car gets damaged on their lot you are responsible since its your property, you are legally allowed to have a gun on your property...

however, businesses have a right to ask you to leave, and if you do not comply, you can be charged with trespassing!..since it's their establishment, they can refuse access to anyone.
    Last edited by CHEMICAL; June 26th, 2009 at 06:28 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    there is a stipulation in the carry laws that states that any place that wants to refuse your right to carry within their establishment must hang the official addendum or what ever its called...that is written in the law books.
    exactly what "law book" is this written in?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast