Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default C.W.P.: Is it valid in all Counties in PA?

I just recently moved to Lancaster County, Pennsylvania from Florida. I took my NRA Basic Pistol Course while I was living in Florida but never got around to sending in my application for my Concealed Weapons Permit due to being out of work and not being able to afford it. I was looking into getting my C.W.P. in PA and noticed that it (C.W.P.) is NOT valid in all Counties. Is that true or false? Thanks!

Default Re: C.W.P.: Is it valid in all Counties in PA?

PA's LTCF is good state wide. Where did you here different? Link?

FL's CHP is good statewide as well.
    Last edited by stephpd; April 3rd, 2009 at 09:25 AM.
    Divided we ever have been, and ever must be.Two thirds always had and will have more difficulty to struggle with the one third than with all our foreign enemies. - John Adams

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by iMoses14 View Post
    I just recently moved to Lancaster County, Pennsylvania from Florida. I took my NRA Basic Pistol Course while I was living in Florida but never got around to sending in my application for my Concealed Weapons Permit due to being out of work and not being able to afford it. I was looking into getting my C.W.P. in PA and noticed that it (C.W.P.) is NOT valid in all Counties. Is that true or false? Thanks!
    Welcome to the forum.

First, in Pa. it is called a License To Carry Firearms, LTCF for short. The LTCF does more then allow you to conceal a firearm.

Second, the LTCF is valid throughout this Commonwealth. You may carry a concealed firearm anywhere in the state that a firearm may legally be possessed with a valid LTCF. Would you mind revealing where you got this erroneous information?

Go through these links, you will find a great deal of info for a newbie.

Please use the correct forums

Pa. gun rights

Where you can and can't carry in Pa.

The Pa. Uniform Firearms Act

Forum rules

How rules are enforced

SAY HI THREAD

Rep system users guide

Report post button

Rules for posting classified ads

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

Thanks! I did a search on Google and came across a site that said something about the laws for LTCF/CWP varied by County. I just wanted to clear that up before I went to the County Sheriff's Department and handed in my application. Thanks again.

Also, I heard a needed a special permit to carry in Philadelphia. Is that true? If so, what do I have to do?

http://www.pafoa.org/law/carrying-fi...oncealed-carry

"Pennsylvania LTCF's are available to both residents and non-residents and are valid for 5 years. For residents, the applications are handled by their county sheriff's office, with the exception of Philadelphia where they are handled by the Gun Permits & Tracking Unit of the Philadelphia Police Department. It should be noted that permits issued by one county must be honored by all counties including Philadelphia regardless of rumors to the contrary."

Am I misreading that? I have been awake for 24 hours so there is a possibility.

(Montgomery County)

"Pennsylvania LTCF's are available to both residents and non-residents and are valid for 5 years. For residents, the applications are handled by their county sheriff's office, with the exception of Philadelphia where they are handled by the Gun Permits & Tracking Unit of the Philadelphia Police Department. It should be noted that permits issued by one county must be honored by all counties including Philadelphia regardless of rumors to the contrary."

No, you're not misreading anything. It does not matter what county you get your LTCF from, they are good in every county in the state---except where carry is not allowed.

Ok. Just makin' sure. Does the Pennsylvania LTCF allow you to carry knives or any other weapons? Florida allowed all kinds of crazy weapons to be concealed. I carry a Smith & Wesson S.W.A.T. knife with me at all times. Was just wondering if that is covered with the P.A. LTCF. Thanks.

(Monroe County)

Actually, I think maybe you are misreading it, lol. There is a different agency that handles the issuing of LTCF in Philly, but the LTCF is a uniform license, like a drivers license, that is valid everywhere. Philly's LTCF is the same as one issued anywhere else in the state.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

You might not be understanding it correctly. All counties issue permits and are honored by all.

There is no special permit for Philly, but you have to have a LTCF to carry, either OC/CC.
    Divided we ever have been, and ever must be.Two thirds always had and will have more difficulty to struggle with the one third than with all our foreign enemies. - John Adams

Ok. Thanks! I guess 'misreading' and 'misunderstanding' ARE two different things. Haha! Damn to not sleeping. Thanks again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast