Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Carbon County)

Unhappy My OC experience today..

Hey guys, had a good day for the most part OC'ing in Wilkes Barre, Had to go to FedEx to ship a package and no one gave a second look or said anything, a few other errands through out the afternoon, Burger King, Petsmart. Not an issue. When I got back to Hazleton we went to H&R Block to get the taxes done, nothing. Well after taxes were done(we did a little better than we thought) I decided to go to Ed's sports shop in Tamaqua, needed a new holster. I ended up getting a Blackhawk CQC, without the serpa lock. Put it on and put my XD 40, 4" and went about my business. Next stop was Wally World in Hometown. OC'ed into the store, a few looks, but not much concern otherwise. After shopping for groceries there for over an hour and not much more than a look, wife was in the check out line and I decided to run back to sporting good to get some .22 rounds for my other toy, I had to wait for all the last minute fishermen to get their licenses, the cashier came out to help me at the case. Well he looked and then just smiled, got my ammo, paid and went to meet the wife. Well she was done and checked out, so I walked over to her. She decided to use the bathroom. As soon as she walked away, some guy walked over to me and identified himself as Josh. He said "my name is Josh I work security for wal-mart, I need you top cover your pistol" to which I replied I am not required to cover it. He stated that he knew but I needed to cover it up. He asked me if I had a concealed weapons permit to which I stated yes, I have a license to carry a firearm. He then said, "well then cover it now". He got a little ignorant when he said that. I told him that there is not a law against open carry, and that just because I had a LTCF did not mean that I was required to carry it concealed. Also there was no sign at the front door stating there was no firearms, which I have learned from you guys carries not weight anyway. All this time I was being polite, but apparently he didn't like the fact that I was carrying. I am not a thug, or whatever, just an average looking guy. I was wearing OD green shorts and a Team Realtree long sleeve shirt and my camo Yankees Hat. Go NY. Anyway, after staring at me, he told me to "cover my gun now", I stated that I am waiting for my wife and then I would be leaving. He started to walk away and said "whatever". Now on to my question, did I handle the situation correctly or was I wrong? I don't think I stepped out of line or did anything wrong but my wife says I should have just covered it up and walked out. Just curious about some of your opinions. It was my first real attempt at OC'ing, but may not because of the negative reaction. But others opinions on how I handled myself would definitely help. Maybe I should have just covered, maybe I shouldn't but I now I am not sure. What do you think? Thanks, Jim
    If zombies start chasing us, I'm going to trip you!

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: My OC experience today..

Hmm., Not a biggie deal. I think you did fine.

As for constructive criticism, my input is that I would not have mentioned anything regarding legality or license, etc.

The store is private property so they CAN tell you to cover up, leave, etc.

So, not being there, but going on what you described I think I would have simply answered in the affirmative when asked about the permit. When he said to cover it I would have said I don't carry concealed but I will be leaving momentarily anyway (as you did). Hopefully that would be the end.
    If he was not rude or otherwise not good with that I might then ask if the store policy is that no openly carried firearms are allowed or not, for future reference. If he answered in the affirmative I would follow up with the branch manager, preferably in person, right then to verify.

Again, the dialog about how OC is legal is just as irrelevant in the store as the presence or lack of "no guns" signs.

I would not be surprised if this is just the LPG acting on his own initiative. There have been a few reports similar to yours on OCDO. At least one of them the OC'er followed up with the manager (on the spot) and the manger had no problem. IOW, the LPG was overstepping his contractual duty and hassling the OC'er because he felt like it, not because he was enforcing any policy. May not be the case in your encounter, but something to consider.

(Luzerne County)

Additionally, the fact that you were waiting in the area between the registers and the door, with a cart full of PAID for groceries waiting on your wife.... IOW: LEAVING. makes me think that this was an LPG guy with a attitude and nothing more. Could be wrong, just my hunch from the way your story reads.

Nice to see another local OC'er

You see the thread for the small get together tomorrow night at Bennigan's in WB?

(Dauphin County)

i think ya did good man, i dont think after the third time of him telling me to "cover it up" i would have been so polite, but you did good

(Monroe County)

IMHO, I think that maybe if you had started off with,"I'm just waiting for my wife, and we are leaving.", it may have placated the guard. They have the right to ask you to cover it or leave as it is their store, their rules. A sign has no weight in so far as it can't bar you, but a representative has the right to ask you to leave or in lieu of leaving, covering up. Please try to know your rights and responsibilities a little better before getting into a losing battle that may wind up with you facing trespassing charges. I would encourage you to check through the OC and the new carry rights fliers and then if you are unsure about anything, post. I know I, or any other member, would be happy to answer any question you may have, or at least point you in the right direction. Keep up the OC, if you feel comfortable with it, just remember to not get confrontational. Hope that works

ETA: While I was thinking it, I realized that I didn't post it, so... I think the rest of your day was just great, good report
    Last edited by headcase; April 11th, 2008 at 10:25 PM.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by 4XLT View Post
    i think ya did good man, i dont think after the third time of him telling me to "cover it up" i would have been so polite, but you did good

But we must be. I know I need not tell you that, asit was a figurative point you were making, but for the sake of record...

(Dauphin County)

i know and believe me i am more aware of my own attitude while carrying either way .

and headcase makes a good point with possibly starting off with im just waiting for the wife and will be leaving in a moment..

this is all so new to me yet i feel as if i have learned so much about not only my rights but Pa laws in general, it gets a bit over whelming at times...

(Carbon County)

I see what you guys are saying and I guess I kind of forgot about the private property thing, my bad. I see where I made my mistakes and now I know better. I understand my rights for the most part but I guess I should KNOW them. Thanks for your input. Hey Patriot, I did see that thread about tomorrow but I won't be able to make it, but I did also read about the possible meeting at Old Country Buffet in May possibly and I may try to make it to that one. I just found the one about tomorrow, a little late for me to make plans, but will keep an eye out for any other meetings. Well like I said thanks for your input, I love this site, I have learned a lot so far and will surely be sticking around and soaking up as much info as I can. Thanks, Jim

(Luzerne County)

Your certainly welcome.

Yeah, the dinner tomorrow is not a big event. When we make plans to do some shopping, etc I like to post up that we'll be eating in case a couple people want to eat and chat... We do a lot of biz down in hazleton too, so I'll be sure to post up if we plan to go that way for future weekends

(Carbon County)

Hey sounds good, Looking forward to meeting some of you guys here someday. I'll be looking forward to a Hazleton meet someday. Thanks again and good night. Jim.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast