Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default 18PA.C.S6109(i) offense for sheriff on successful overturn of recovation

Do we have any accounts of a charge on a Sheriff with a 18PA.C.S6109(i) offense after a person has successfully overturned a revocation (the strongest time to do it, I imagine)?

Note the following:

(i) Revocation.--A license to carry firearms may be revoked by the issuing authority for good cause. A license to carry firearms shall be revoked by the issuing authority for any reason stated in subsection (e)(1) which occurs during the term of the permit. Notice of revocation shall be in writing and shall state the specific reason for revocation. Notice shall be sent by certified mail to the individual whose license is revoked, and, at that time, notice shall also be provided to the Pennsylvania State Police by electronic means, including e-mail or facsimile transmission, that the license is no longer valid. An individual whose license is revoked shall surrender the license to the issuing authority within five days of receipt of the notice. An individual whose license is revoked may appeal to the court of common pleas for the judicial district in which the individual resides. An individual who violates this section commits a summary offense.

Obviously a sheriff could violate this by not undertaking the enlisted requirements by law. Note that it is a violator of the section and not the violator of the section whose license has been revoked.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: 18PA.C.S6109(i) offense for sheriff on successful overturn of recovation

I believe that punishment is for people who fail to turn in their permit on notice of revocation, not for the sheriff
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Franklin County)

Default Re: 18PA.C.S6109(i) offense for sheriff on successful overturn of recovation

Quote Originally Posted by danp View Post
    I believe that punishment is for people who fail to turn in their permit on notice of revocation, not for the sheriff
    I agree with dan, BUT based on the literal wording of the section, I can see where you're coming from and a good attorney might make an interesting argument to that effect.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Monroe County)

I don't believe the argument would get anywhere. The statute specifically names the parties it refers to all through the statute. Every time the word "Individual" is used, it refers to the license holder. I wish it was murkier, but I don't believe it is...

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    I don't believe the argument would get anywhere. The statute specifically names the parties it refers to all through the statute. Every time the word "Individual" is used, it refers to the license holder. I wish it was murkier, but I don't believe it is...
    Even if it were murkier, the answer would likely be found in the legislative intent of those who drafted the UFA. I interpret the section to apply to the licensee.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by policemedic View Post
    I interpret the section to apply to the licensee.
    Or "former" licensee as the case would be

Quote Originally Posted by policemedic View Post
    Even if it were murkier, the answer would likely be found in the legislative intent of those who drafted the UFA. I interpret the section to apply to the licensee.
    In that case, I would try to find the judge who decided the handgun registry was alright. Maybe we could get 'individual' to apply to a sheriff here!