link to story here

St. Pete Police: Resident Shoots Intruder In Burglary Attempt
    TBO.com

Published: July 18, 2008

Updated: 07/18/2008 08:40 pm

Related Links

Struggle Ends In Death

Lajuan Dandy
    A man fatally shot an armed intruder with the intruder's gun during an attempted burglary, St. Petersburg police say.

About 12:30 p.m. today, Jack Donaldson entered the back door of his apartment at 1018 22nd Ave. S. to find a masked man with a semi-automatic handgun, St. Petersburg police spokesman Bill Proffitt said.

The two struggled, and the intruder dropped his weapon. Donaldson, 27, picked it up and shot the intruder, whom police identified as Lajuan O. Dandy, 39, of St. Petersburg.

Donaldson chased after another man who ran from the apartment and fired at least one shot at him, but missed, Proffitt said. Police did not have a detailed description of the other man.

Investigators asked anyone with information about the man to call police (727) 893-7780.
    SWEET! Check out some of the comments....
    Last edited by gnbrotz; July 21st, 2008 at 08:22 PM. Reason: fixed link

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Chester County)

Default Re: Tampa man kills intruder w/own gun

Now that is justice!!!!! Karma will bite you in the ass every time!!!!!

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty!

(Allegheny County)

HA HA HA... like that one guys signiture. About the difference between being trained, or just a guy holding a gun. What a fool, shot with his own gun trying to ambush and rob someone at their own home. GOOD! JUSTICE is served. Scum bag!

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    link to story here

SWEET! Check out some of the comments....
    South St. Pete. No surprise. I live on the north side, but barely.

(Chester County)

Great shooting! Thank you for saving us taxpayers some money on this one. This story is unfortunate for the homeowner, but very motivating for reducing the amount of career criminals in the gene pool.
    The comments are amusing. Lots of home defense gun talk.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Venango County)

What is wrong with our critical reading skills??

So many questions. Unless the article gets updated.

The homeowner struggled with the suspect who was armed. The suspect drops his firearm. Homeowner gets said firearm and shoots suspect.

A lot of people who commented seemed to have missed that.

Questions:

If this were NJ, and the homeowner happened to not be allowed to posess firearms, would they arrest him?!

Makes a case against OC but seriously, points out the if you get it out you best be using it principle; even for bad guys.

In this case, I believe the suspects may have had the weapon to intimidate and they did not want to kill someone. Ooops. Their bluff was called or they were too slow to react (bad situational awareness) and they got shot instead.

Good for the homeowner and all who would have been their future victims.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Northampton County)

Their critical reading skills go a long way to show how they had such difficulty in the 2000 and 2004 elections...

But that is a really great story...

(Lebanon County)

Glad to hear it. It's good that he knew what he was doing with that gun once he picked it up! I found it a little alarming that he chased after the other guy and tried to shoot him. Not being there I could not see the environment but I'm saying that shooting while they're in your home is one thing. Chasing them down becomes the job of the police. I would say "TRAINED PROFESSIONALS" but I was just told at the range recently that most of the cops that go there to qualify can't hit a 3'x4' target (can't hit the paper AT ALL) so I don't think police fall into that category. I'm just saying that chasing and shooting becomes their job so if anyone else gets hurt inadvertantly then the victim is not facing any liability there. Ultimately once he shot the first guy his home was secure and he was not harmed in any way so.... yes, I'd have wanted to shoot them both too but it wasn't actually necessary for his own safety so I think as much as I'd have been inclined to do the same I have to say I disapprove of that part. If he could have shot him while he was still on his property that's one thing but to chase him down and try to shoot him is something else entirely. JMO of course.

(Allegheny County)

How about this one if the intruder was disarmed, or lost his own firearm, can the homeowner be charged with murder? ....Killed an unarmed man.

Lots of Anti-gun DA would run you through the system in PA just because they could for attempted murder. Just like they did in somerset man case and now the family is going after him in a civil lawsuit

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08104/873048-100.stm
    Somerset man cleared in homicide now being sued
    Sunday, April 13, 2008
    The parents of a Somerset County man who was fatally shot outside another man's apartment have filed a wrongful death suit against the shooter.

Jay and Carolyn Zimmerman are seeking unspecified damages against 29-year-old Matthew Eperjesi.

Mr. Eperjesi was living in Somerset Township when he killed 33-year-old Perry Zimmerman and critically wounded another man in April 2006. Mr. Eperjesi says he shot in self-defense.

Evidence at a coroner's inquest showed Mr. Zimmerman and the other man were drunk and kicked in Mr. Eperjesi's door because they mistakenly believed a party was being held there.

The Zimmermans' attorney calls the shooting intentional and unprovoked.

A coroner's jury found the shooting justified and homicide charges against Mr. Eperjesi were withdrawn.

First published on April 13, 2008 at 6:47 am

This guy is lucky this happen in a state that has a castle law.

Sadly PA is NOT getting a castle doctrine law for at least another two years, the chance of even getting HB 641 up for a vote in before the end of this 2007/2008 session is just about zero.

(Lebanon County)

I could not give an opinion based on the limited info provided in that article....