Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Bought a 1974 Dodge Dart Sport

So, based on all the cool cars I saw on another thread, I bought a 1974 Dodge Dart, Straight 6, 2 Door Sport from a guy in Indiana (via classiccars.com). I paid him for the car, and was looking into the transport company to get it, and in the meantime, he mailed me the title. The guy had bought the car from some older couple many years ago, and he had it in dry storage for the past 15 years. It does run and drive, but needs alot of work. Here is the problem: the title doesn't have the sellers name on it (he's really old) and he told me to just fill it out for him the way Pennsylvania wants it. I haven't asked AAA yet what to do, but have any of you run into this? My friend from Indiana said the registration (and no inspection) and titling is pretty sloppy, and he said he has bought vehicles and put them on the road with no title. Any suggestions? I think the original names on the title are dead people as well.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Bought a 1974 Dodge Dart Sport

Wow where do I start..

Matters on how you want this cars tags Classic (Classic Motor Vehicle) motor vehicle registered under Section 1340.

Antique, classic and collectible plates?

As far as getting it here there are alot of ways..

http://www.dtdtransport.com/ is just one of them that transport Antique, classic cars.

Needs alot of Body work?

Just asking im a Body Shop Manager =)

(Allegheny County)

I just want to use it for a "Sunday" and Sunny Day driver. I would put way less than 5K miles on it per year. We had a dart when I was a kid and that's why I have been looking for a Dart for years. I found this one, and the price was right. When I talked to the guy, he asked me alot of questions about why I wanted the car. He has sentimental ties to the vehicle, and wanted to make sure it wasn't going to get molested. He knew he could get more money for the car, but he said he wasn't after the money at this point. He also has a bunch of Satellite parts in the same posting so it's still up. Here are the pics etc.:

http://www.classiccars.com/Classifie...17EA803D&cs=11

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by st.marys View Post
    So, based on all the cool cars I saw on another thread, I bought a 1974 Dodge Dart, Straight 6, 2 Door Sport from a guy in Indiana (via classiccars.com). I paid him for the car, and was looking into the transport company to get it, and in the meantime, he mailed me the title. The guy had bought the car from some older couple many years ago, and he had it in dry storage for the past 15 years. It does run and drive, but needs alot of work. Here is the problem: the title doesn't have the sellers name on it (he's really old) and he told me to just fill it out for him the way Pennsylvania wants it. I haven't asked AAA yet what to do, but have any of you run into this? My friend from Indiana said the registration (and no inspection) and titling is pretty sloppy, and he said he has bought vehicles and put them on the road with no title. Any suggestions? I think the original names on the title are dead people as well.
    Damn....I looked at the photos, and memories of my 72 Dart Swinger came back. Same speedo and dash. Same 225 cu inch "slant six". I gotta have another one!!!

Hey, have fun with the car. It may take a bit of work, but parts shouldn't be too difficult to find, and in the end, it will be worth the effort!

I also had a 70 or 71 Duster (I forget the year), but I can tell you that the Duster with less pollution crap on it would run rings around my 72 Dart.

(Cumberland County)

Looks ok for the money..

But it all matters on what you want to do with the car..

BTW The rear Qtr. Panels look very rough

(Lackawanna County)

Those panels are an easy fix; some of the easiest sheetmetal repairs that you can do; just make sure that you get GOOD panels, not the Chinese ones.

I almost bought that car!

Get thee to www.moparstyle.com now...
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(Butler County)

I can't help you with the legal part, but I owned a pile of 6 cyl. mopars back in the day. All good runners but they like to rust out. Beware of ball joints too. Seems like I had to change a lot of them. Sold one with 196,000 mi. on it. The next owner run it up to 213,000 mi. before he wrecked it. Good winter car, didn't have enough power to spin the wheels. Get one of those ceramic things that go on the fire wall ( I forget the right name for it ) Keep it in the glove compartment.

(Berks County)

That's a Ballast Resistor. They go at the strangest moments so make sure to keep one with you.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for all the great info, I'll have to check out the moparstyle.com message board. I have a mail out to the old guy to see if he has any info on what Indiana is telling him. I think I'll try to find the Indiana DMV myself.

(Monroe County)

I owned three Darts and two Scamps(same damn car) in my younger days. Fastest I have ever gone in a motor vehicle was in a 74' dart. Going down a monster hill on Rt.17 in N.Y. I buried the needle so bad, it took a full count of fifteen for it to start back down on the way up the next hill.... Slant sixes ruled...

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast