Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Adams County)

Default I know some TV Networks have an agenda when it comes to 2A, what about HBO?

I know that some people say that any gun story done on a certain network will be biased towards anti-guns.

Does HBO have any bias that is known?
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: I know some TV Networks have an agenda when it comes to 2A, what about HBO?

I've seen HBO's anti-gun slant on more than one occasion. They've had a couple anti shows on. I've never heard of them doing a pro-gun piece

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: I know some TV Networks have an agenda when it comes to 2A, what about HBO?

I would highly suggest that neither you or anyone you know take part in any TV appearance related to firearm ownership unless you are extremely well versed in public speaking and firearm issues.

I would suggest that anyone asked refuse to participate unless they are well established people with the experience (legal, political, and public-relations) to do it right.

The fact of the matter is gun owners have much more to lose by talking to potential hostile media than they have to gain. One wrong phrase, statement or even word can set us all back quite a bit.

Most people in general are simply not ready to handle media and this includes gun owners.

How many gun owners were duped into supporting Lost & Stolen reporting? How many gun owners are constantly tricked into supporting Assault Weapon Bans? Often times gun owners are their own worst enemies when they talk to media.

It is a sad, but true fact of life.
    Last edited by danp; April 11th, 2008 at 12:58 PM.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Bucks County)

I tend to agree with Dan on this one. One thing we need to think about is maintaining a cadre of people who can do this kind of stuff, so when the media comes calling, we can refer them to knowledgeable people. I don't think we do ourselves any favors by not having good relations with the media, but this is a minefield, and unless your club has someone in it who knows the issue inside and out, is good with messaging, and good with media relations, you're probably best off telling them no.
    Snowflakes in Hell Blog
    Where There's Snow, There's Firepower
    http://snowflakesinhell.com

(Cambria County)

While my vanity is inclined to consider this and the invitation, I have to agree with Danp and Sebastian. I'm not saying that no one should get involved with TV interviews, but I would suggest that you have a professional speak for you. Take any one of your recent posts, look at it from an outsider's view that has malicious intent and see if you can't take a sentence or two out of context and turn it into saying something you didn't intend to.

While I am a great public speaker, I know that edited TV is an entirely different medium and it requires some very specific skills that despite my abilities with the written word and speech, I don't have. I would suggest that the people you've invited, while all very eloquent on the forums, don't have those specific skills either. I could be wrong but I don't think so.

You're better off getting in touch with some people in the firearms rights effort that can or will know someone that would do such an event justice.

I'll PM you some contact information and I hope that helps. If you want an essay written or some other materials, I'll volunteer myself right away.

Please seriously think about this before you let the flattering proposition get the better of your judgment.

(Philadelphia County)

Put them in touch with guys like Harry Schneider, Kim Stolfer, Michael Christeson, etc. These guys are on point and know the issues. They are professionals in this field, it is what they do.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Monroe County)

I agree with Dan that Kim Stolfer should be your phone call.
    Last edited by headcase; April 11th, 2008 at 03:01 PM. Reason: TMI, I guess :)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Allegheny County)

i am also going to politely decline.

if it were a live broadcast, i might actually consder it.

but, i've seen first hand how reporters use editing to make it sound like people are saying something different from what they actually are saying (sometimes the complete opposite)...and also cut out supporting arguments and make a very rational argument sound like it has no basis...so i'm gonna pass given that it will be a taped and edited show.

thanks though.

(Montgomery County)

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the invitation you are speaking about? I've no desire to speak to anyone on camera (again), but I keep feeling I have been denied, critical need-to-information.

Peace is the the first choice of a wise man; superior firepower a close second. ~ Me

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by danp View Post
    Put them in touch with guys like Harry Schneider, Kim Stolfer, Michael Christeson, etc. These guys are on point and know the issues. They are professionals in this field, it is what they do.
    How about posting some phone numbers are addresses where we can direct them if we're approached. Just a suggestion