Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cambria County)

Default OC but prepared to CC

Ok.. So i have been asking a lot of questions about OC/CC in other threads and i apologize if my questions seem to be nonsense... But i just wanted to ask about this.. I am new to OC. When i OC i always am prepared to CC. IE: I wear a long shirt and tuck it in to OC , but its long enough to wear it untucked to CC if for some reason i feel i want or need to CC. Does anyone else OC this way?

Default Re: OC but prepared to CC

Why?

10 char

(Cambria County)

Well i have said before.. if i could find where i posted it i would just quote it , but ill rewrite it. I am still uncomfortable with OC due to the fact that i am concerned with someone trying to disarm me from behind.. I have yet to have incident with OC and now that i understand the laws behind it , i am not worried about that.. Im just unsure at the moment about someone mugging me from behind and using my own firearm against me...

Quote Originally Posted by JGeezer1986 View Post
    Well i have said before.. if i could find where i posted it i would just quote it , but ill rewrite it. I am still uncomfortable with OC due to the fact that i am concerned with someone trying to disarm me from behind.. I have yet to have incident with OC and now that i understand the laws behind it , i am not worried about that.. Im just unsure at the moment about someone mugging me from behind and using my own firearm against me...
    You will not have time to cover if that happens.
    IF that happened, your situational awareness isn't working.
    Not trying to criticize, or judge, but , are you sure your ready for OC?

(Cambria County)

This is exactly what i am talking about... Not im not talking about instantanious situations.. But i have noticed when i am at wal mart or example... on saturday, i was grocery shopping and forgot half the stuff i went for , just looking at people, looking for printing, and constantly keeping note of who was around me.. I had noticed that i ran into the same person almost 10 times... But if for example my car broke down in the bad end of town and i had to walk some where.. I would not feel comfortable walking down a dark alleyway with my weapon hanging out there for a quick grab... Although my holster is quickly accessable for me, i have to shift my weapon a certain way to realease it where as i dont know that someone could actually grab it from behind me... Someone said on here before , which put carrying in general in perspective for me, If you carry a gun you best be mentally prepared to pull the trigger or you will be killed by your own weapon... I appreciate the input here

(Chester County)

OC definitely requires your situational awareness to be at peak, all the time. I OC on occasion, and when I do, my awareness of my surroundings is as fine tuned as it can be. A part of that awareness, IMHO, is the ability and awareness of when it is prudent to conceal. I dress with the ability to OC/CC as I wish, but I've never covered out of fear that someone might take my weapon. People don't sneak up on me...anymore. I used to be one of those types who walked along in my own world, completely oblivious to my surroundings. Getting punched in the face while walking home from the store one day changed that, real fast. If you get within 30 feet of me, I KNOW you are there. You won't be surprising me. That level of alertness is definitely necessary for OC or CC. Being able to cover up to keep from terrifying my poor aunts.....now that's a reason to keep my cover garment handy.
    KnightZero - Zombie Killing Mercenary Watchman for hire. Will work for food.

http://kn1ght-z3r0.livejournal.com/tag/firearms - My firearms, and my ramblings on the Open Carry Movement.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by JGeezer1986 View Post
    This is exactly what i am talking about... Not im not talking about instantanious situations.. But i have noticed when i am at wal mart or example... on saturday, i was grocery shopping and forgot half the stuff i went for , just looking at people, looking for printing, and constantly keeping note of who was around me.. I had noticed that i ran into the same person almost 10 times... But if for example my car broke down in the bad end of town and i had to walk some where.. I would not feel comfortable walking down a dark alleyway with my weapon hanging out there for a quick grab... Although my holster is quickly accessable for me, i have to shift my weapon a certain way to realease it where as i dont know that someone could actually grab it from behind me... Someone said on here before , which put carrying in general in perspective for me, If you carry a gun you best be mentally prepared to pull the trigger or you will be killed by your own weapon... I appreciate the input here
    Here's my two cents...

Carry your weapon however you are comfortable. I mean this especially if you are new to OC and are uncomfortable about carrying OC in certain situations. There is no OC law for you to follow, you won't get kicked out of any club because you chose to cover up your weapon. If you are in a situation where you don't feel comfortable OC'ing..just cover it up.

Do retention drills. If you have friends that know you carry, unload, clear, holster, and have them try to grab it out. Just make sure they understand that if they do get it out, they are to immediately stop and run the drill again.

or get professional retention training.

Being situationally aware shouldn't mean you are so focused on scoping out the people around you, that you can't function in your normal life, bro.
    You can be aware of your surroundings and still remember to bring the milk home.....

If you are this freaked out because you are carrying a firearm, maybe you should chill for a bit CC, until you are a bit less jittery carrying....

Just the vibe I'm getting from what you posted.....

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Cambria County)

I have noticed since i have started carrying , my awareness of people around me has incresed.. Even if for some reason i am not carrying. The reason i have started carrying to begin with was there was recently trouble down the road with someone who was dealing with drugs , and i seen their friend parked outside my house smoking. When i am at home my side arm is always on me.. and naturally it stays there when i go out. What i fear the most is coming home with my family and finding someone either in my house or outside my house and they are ready to do anything not to get caught... Every time when someone even knocks on my door , i find my self pulling my side arm and making sure i have a round in battery and re-holstering....

For all the news I read and the gun forums I visit I've yet to hear of a citizen having their gun taken from them let alone used on them. Not to say it has never happened but I can't find any stories recently to back up that myth.

Maybe for LEO's but they get to close to criminals for me.

That person you saw in the store 10 times is probably store security. No need to worry about them. Situational awareness will keep folks from sneaking up from behind you. My guess is that you are in too high an alert status and being new to this you can get a little to paranoid. Relax just a little but scan more then stare or be looking for others with a gun.

As far as criminals wanting to take your gun it is not a safe bet for them and most will pass on the chance of dying. The misquote of being ready to use the gun has to do with drawing and trying to scare the bad guys. If you have to draw you have already made up your mind and you shoot. No need to talk or wave it around. The gun is for life and death situations and not intimidation.

And stay out of dark alleys. Cross the street from vagrants hanging out on the corners and stay in lighted areas. Keep some distance and run if you have to.
    Last edited by stephpd; January 26th, 2009 at 12:47 AM.

(Lackawanna County)

Try hanging out in public with a friend who OC's. Two armed people will be more likely to deter a gun grab and will give you backup in a situation (and an extra witness). You never said if you carry in a retention holster or not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast