Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default "You Spicka Da English?"

i wanna start by saying: my feet are killing me. my new job requires me to stand up for 12 hours straight, and in steel toe shoes, it's no wonder that, at the end of the day, my feet are cursing me in 3 different languages. i work for 4 days, then i'm off for 4. the first day of the weekend, i'm generally wiped out, and my feet need a chance to recover. that being said, i'm not the friendliest person in town. i'm not rude or anything, i just don't feel much like talking, or even acknowledging people.

so, of course, my lady needs to run around town to do errands. fine. as long as she does the talking, and the running.

today's agenda: my son's biweekly allergist appointment, then food shopping, then lunch, then home in time to get our girls off the school bus. not too much, thank G*D.

the doctor's office, and food shopping at Price Chopper in Taylor, went on without a hitch, as usual. the nurses have long since become accustomed to me and my gun, and have no problem with it, or me. same with Price Chopper.

our last stop was at Mickey Dee's. while i was on line, there was an older gentleman standing next to me, waiting for his food. he glanced down, and his eyes nearly exploded. he (very obviously) kept looking at my face, then my gun, in rapid succession. up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down. every few looks, he'd shake his head. he then leans over to some lady, and whispers at room temperature, "look at that! what the hell?" the lady looks over, her eyes open up a little, then she whispers back, inaudibly. a few people by this time have turned their heads and looked over in our direction.

the man began to rant, not in a loud psychotic way, but in more of a "i'm pissed off but too scared to complain too much" volume. "jesus christ, $#@%&, blargity blarg wotwot and hullaballoo..." i just looked over at him, and said nothing. like i said, i really wasn't in the mood. my feet hurt, i was hungry and tired, and they were taking too long to get my Big Mac (no pickles) to me.

"what are you doing?" he asks me. i looked at him, and ignored him. then, louder, "did you hear what i said? what are you doing? you spicka dah english?"

"yes, sir. i majored in english," i said, flatly.

then it got even funnier. he reaches over, and pokes me. in the arm. hard. "what are you doing?" he says to me, to which i replied, "can i help you?"

"what are you doing?" he asks again.

"i'm waiting for my Big Mac, and getting irritated."

"don't be a wise guy. what are you doing with that?"

i just looked at him, and turned back to the girl at the register. "can i add an apple pie to that order?"

"whaddya think this is, the wild west, or something? this isn't Texas, sonny!"

"the open carrying of a handgun is illegal in Texas, sir." ah, my food. i grabbed my tray, and turned to walk away.

"what's that supposed to mean?" now, people were craning their necks to watch the train wreck. "what's yer problem, anyway? you like to scare people, or something?

i just wanted to add, during this whole exchange, my lady had her head in her hands, feeling very embarrassed.

"you gotta lot a problems, kid. what kind of guy walks around with a gun like that?"

"you have some problems yourself sir. what kind of person harrasses someone who's minding their business?" i went from 0-60 in about 4.3 seconds, and was getting pissier by the moment. "it's my day off of work, i'm tired, i'm hungry, i have half of my family with me, who you're embarrassing, and you're being an asshole, in public. i come here all the time, and no one's ever bothered me, or my family. now, you want to make trouble? what i do is none of your business, or anyone else's. if you want to cause a scene, fine. how about i call the police, and press charges for harassment? would that make your day?"

"all i did was ask a question, you don't-"

"all i'm doing is telling you to fuck off."

"asshole!" and with that, he left, without his food.

one of the employees tiptoed over. "are you okay, man?" i apologized, profusely. he cut me off, saying "nonono, don't worry. i see you all the time, you and them beautiful kids you got. you don't ever bother no one; it ain't right some man gonna bother you for something that ain't hurtin' him."

"thank you. is your boss gonna ask me to leave now?"

"i don't think so."

the manager approached me as we were leaving, and asked if everything was okay. i said sure, sorry about yelling in the joint. he told me not to worry, some people just don't hear very well.

my feet still hurt!

(Monroe County)

Default Re: "You Spicka Da English?"

That's great the way you handled it given the circumstances. It's pretty cool that management is cool as well.
    It amazes me how some people react to these situations. I would think that if your carrying a gun your either a good guy or bad one, if your good then no problem. If your bad do you really want to be confronting them.

I read your post and had to rep you. +1

I really hate people who get in your face because they think its their prerogative to do so. I don't carry yet but have been berated while working and just hanging around for the most meaningless things that people don't like. A parent once told me to leave my little brother's football game because I had a sleeveless shirt on and my tattoo exposed. He said it was an abomination and shouldn't be advertising my immorality.

i would rep you more but i dont think i can.

Your definately not gellin' are you?
    Seriously, get some gel insoles...I stood on concrete & asphalt all day, they do help. If you don't it'll work it's way up to your knees over time.

As for the rest of it, you handled it about as well as I would have.
    Last edited by P89; January 29th, 2009 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Can't spell

(Venango County)

Sorry to hear you had a bad one.

I think you should have mentioned, in a kind way, that his touching you is considered assault by the way, and you could have him charged for that and the police would probably add disorderly conduct to it for his other behavior.

IANAL as you probably know from our prior interactions. But to me, this is as perfect an example of disorderly conduct as I have heard of.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Franklin County)

Forget the gel....get the memory foam ones....made especially for work shoes.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

"Tengo pistole senor, pero no hablo ingles."

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Forget the gel....get the memory foam ones....made especially for work shoes.
    you know, i bought those last week? they help some, but, sweet hey zeus, my feet feel like i danced the foxtrot with a drunk fat girl with 5 left feet.

not that i speak from experience.

and P89, you speak da troof, my knees are starting to get pissy with me. i walk in to work 36 years old, and leave walking like a 70 year old.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    you know, i bought those last week? they help some, but, sweet hey zeus, my feet feel like i danced the foxtrot with a drunk fat girl with 5 left feet.

not that i speak from experience.

and P89, you speak da troof, my knees are starting to get pissy with me. i walk in to work 36 years old, and leave walking like a 70 year old.
    Believe it or not, you will adjust some over time. Also, the four days off will actually hurt more than help. I'm on concrete all day too (only 8-9 hours, though), and Monday is always the worst.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Monroe County)

What a fuckstick. You should have grabbed his finger, twisted him to the ground, and had your kids all come kick him in the nuts, twice. You are a better man than I am my friend. I very likely would have injured him once he touched me. Sorry you had such a bad day bro.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast