Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Colt 1991... Need Some Opinions

So, a friend of mine is looking to sell a Colt 1991. When I first saw it, I said "Ohhh a 191.... 1991?" I don't know much of the specifics, besides that it was a Colt 1991 Commander (looked like it was a blued finish). It looked like it was in good condition, but I don't know any of the specifics, like year made or anything like that.

His asking price (for me, 'cause he owes me money anyway ) was $200. Does this sound like a good deal, again barring the specifics?
    "Twice today have I been told that my outfit does not match my gun..."

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Colt 1991... Need Some Opinions

Quote Originally Posted by msquaredserver View Post
    So, a friend of mine is looking to sell a Colt 1991. When I first saw it, I said "Ohhh a 191.... 1991?" I don't know much of the specifics, besides that it was a Colt 1991 Commander (looked like it was a blued finish). It looked like it was in good condition, but I don't know any of the specifics, like year made or anything like that.

His asking price (for me, 'cause he owes me money anyway ) was $200. Does this sound like a good deal, again barring the specifics?
    New they go for about $750 - $850....

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    New they go for about $750 - $850....
    Thanks. I did see that on a couple of sites.. which kind of discouraged me. Deals that are too good to be true are usually too good to be true.

Specifically though, I was looking for user testimony, if anyone's had any experience with the gun themselves. Thanks again.

(Tioga County)

I bought a Colt 1991A1 years ago. I still have it I have put countless rounds out the barrel. the only thing I have had to replace is the recoil spring. The general rule is replace the recoil spring around every 2000 rounds. Mine eats anything I feed it and I can shoot about a 3" group at 35 yards when I do my part. I have added a Pierce insert on the grip. but that's a personal thing. Oh and I carried it for a good number of years also. The 1991A1 I have is a full size 1911. they are in the series 80 group

USNRET '61-'81

$200 is a excellent deal if your willing to 'donate' the $$ he owes you.

Transfer would need to be by FFL
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by tdyoung58 View Post
    $200 is a excellent deal if your willing to 'donate' the $$ he owes you.

Transfer would need to be by FFL
    Or the sheriffs dept, right? I'm sorry to ask as I know how much everyone hates these questions but how does that work? I know, I know, take it to an FFL. But do I just walk into Gander Mountain and say "I'm transferring a gun" and bring it with me? It seems like it'd be more direct to just head over to Scranton and have them do it there. Also, I don't want some jerkoff store to say "Hey buddy.. psst.. over here.. I'll give you $350 for the gun" and buy it out from underneath me. The guy's kinda slippery so yeah.

(Tioga County)

Most sheriffs won't do a transfer. the FFL doesn't need to know how much your paying he just does the paperwork and makes the PICS call. My gun guy would never try to out bid me in that sort of transaction. He might on the other hand make the receiver of the pistol an offer after the transaction is complete if it was something he really wanted.

Or the sheriffs dept, right? I'm sorry to ask as I know how much everyone hates these questions but how does that work? I know, I know, take it to an FFL. But do I just walk into Gander Mountain and say "I'm transferring a gun" and bring it with me? It seems like it'd be more direct to just head over to Scranton and have them do it there. Also, I don't want some jerkoff store to say "Hey buddy.. psst.. over here.. I'll give you $350 for the gun" and buy it out from underneath me. The guy's kinda slippery so yeah.
    USNRET '61-'81