Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Mercer County)

Default "Once You Have an LTCF, You MUST Carry Concealed!"

Ugh.

Here is a prime reason why I'm one of those "jerks" who insist on calling it an LTCF, not a CCP.

I was talking with a buddy who really wants to get into handguns. He was talking to some friends "who really know their guns" and they told him that once he gets his "permit" he "must carry concealed."

Oh, brother.

I told him what an LTCF allows and pointed him here and to PAOC. I think he met my explanation with skepticism since I was just one guy and this group of friends "who know their guns" told him something different.

It's hard enough to get people into guns, but when gun owners spread around rumors and falsehoods, it makes it incredibly confusing - and may discourage new gun owners.

It's a License To Carry Firearms. It allows more than concealed carry. And it certainly doesn't demand concealment.

Thanks again to Dan for this site (and Rich for his site). It's more helpful than you can imagine...
    Nine out of ten moderators approve of this post!

(Northampton County)

Default Re: "Once You Have an LTCF, You MUST Carry Concealed!"

Quote Originally Posted by Paradigm View Post
    Thanks again to Dan for this site (and Rich for his site). It's more helpful than you can imagine...
    Seconded! I met the same 'experts' when I first got my LTCF, and have debunked many a myth since then...
    And don't think you're off the hook, voters, you're the ones who made this bed. Now you're the ones who are going to have to move over so a gay couple can sleep in it. Tomorrow you're all going to wake up in a brave new world, a world where the Constitution gets trampled by an army of terrorist clones, created in a stem-cell research lab run by homosexual doctors who sterilize their instruments over burning American flags. -- Stephen Colbert

(Columbia County)

Since joining this site, I have learned tons of information that I otherwise knew as false. Unfortunately, I have spread false information to others that I knew as fact in the past. When one gets their license, it is not made clear where they can and cannot carry, methods of carry, etc. I wish they would make a small publication to give out with one's LTCF when they pick it up... and I don't mean that 'encycopedia' they give you that outlines PA's firearms laws in lawyer terms and is several hundred pages long. I mean, maybe a pamphlet or a small book of only a few pages that lays out what you can and cannot do with your LTCF in plain, simple english.

Quote Originally Posted by max384 View Post
    Since joining this site, I have learned tons of information that I otherwise knew as false. Unfortunately, I have spread false information to others that I knew as fact in the past. When one gets their license, it is not made clear where they can and cannot carry, methods of carry, etc. I wish they would make a small publication to give out with one's LTCF when they pick it up... and I don't mean that 'encycopedia' they give you that outlines PA's firearms laws in lawyer terms and is several hundred pages long. I mean, maybe a pamphlet or a small book of only a few pages that lays out what you can and cannot do with your LTCF in plain, simple english.
    Like these

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...nsylvania.html

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...carry-you.html

As a member here you should be relieved he was misinformed.
    A.) You can correct him and guide him to "responsible" gun ownership.
    B.) Before he does OC, you could suggest training skills such as retention and basic safety and targeting. etc
    c.) Now not only do you get to prove your correct, he gets to meet with a larger group of gun enthusiasts that do know what they are telling others and he'll be able to consider this group his friends soon enough.
    -Remember the Constitution-

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by max384 View Post
    I wish they would make a small publication to give out with one's LTCF when they pick it up...
    Unfortunately, "they" are the county sheriffs. And there are a TON of threads on here about how their county sheriff has stapled false information to the LTCF application. "They" aren't favorable to being corrected. "They" want the ability to bend the law to their own liking.

Obviously, there are many sheriffs who know the laws and don't make up things as they go along. For these folks, we are thankful.
    Nine out of ten moderators approve of this post!

(Monroe County)

Unfortunately, "they" are the county sheriffs. And there are a TON of threads on here about how their county sheriff has stapled false information to the LTCF application. "They" aren't favorable to being corrected. "They" want the ability to bend the law to their own liking.

Obviously, there are many sheriffs who know the laws and don't make up things as they go along. For these folks, we are thankful.

Very true in deed. Even if it was a singular pamphlet to be used by all like the permit from coming from the State does not keep local sheriffs from doing their own thing. NO matter who I called and how much information I provided to the Monroe County sheriff he refused all references that were not Monroe County residents.

I'm just thankful for this site to set the record straight.

(Monroe County)

Forgot to respond to the OP:

Unfortunately your friend is falling into a familiar trap. They are incorrect which is not unusual because ignorance is bliss and few want to take the time to educate themselves or deal with the fact that they were wrong. Problem being if you say it loud enough, long enough, and convince enough people to do the same then it becomes fact. Guide him to this sight and see if he is like his friends and refuses or is to lazy to educate himself or if he becomes an educated gun owner regarding his rights in his state of residence. Let's hope for the latter.

I've encountered LEOs like this. Instead of correcting them, have them correct themselves. Ask them, individually, or as a group, to produce the law that says one must carry concealed. Tell them you really want to know. Produce a LTCF and ask someone to show you on that license where it says "concealed". This will work, although it might not make you any friends.

(Monroe County)

This is one of the reasons I try to drop off flyers at the local gun range when I can. I engaged the staff, brought them around, and then they were eager to help spread the word....

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast