Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default How long to get used to Serpa release?

I bought a Blackhawk Serpa CQC Sport paddle holster a little while back, and much to my suprise like it. I'm generally not a fan of paddle holsters, and really not a fan of plastic holsters. But I've found the Serpa stays put on the belt, doesn't flop around, is actually a comfortable paddle holster until one has sat in my car seats with it on for a while (the paddle digs into one of my belly rolls after a few hours in the Hyundai), and is very fast.

At least, is very fast if I don't miss the frigging release. It seems so natural, but even after more than a thousand practice draws, and doing 10-15 morning and night, yesterday at the range Sean yells "GO!" and I missed the damn button. Clearly, it's not a holster I can carry if I can't use it right, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue? I just bought a really nice (and much better looking!) DeSantis Speed Scabbard as my usual carry holster to go with my Don Hume IWB, but there are times, like when fishing or hiking around, that the toughness of the Serpa would be nice, along with it's being impervious to things like rain and bumps and knocks.

If I can figure out how to get the gun out of it
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Chester County)

Default Re: How long to get used to Serpa release?

To long IMHO, unless you are LEO... If I always OC'ed it might be helpful in retention, but under duress I would hate to have to tangle with it when my weapon was really needed.

I am sure others will be along shortly who totally disagree...

(Allegheny County)

It took me a few draws.

I have seen the suggestion of putting a patch of grip tape on the button to help remind your finger to index on the button and speed finding it.

(Monroe County)

It may be specific to the one that fits your weapon. I have had mine for about two years and right from the very first time I drew I have not had a problem. Is the specific problem that you don't get enough pressure on the release to allow a draw, or are you missing touching the release altogether? If pressure is the problem, layering grip tape until the height is just right sounds like a very good fix.

That being said, while I love my Serpa, if you are even a tiny bit concerned about it, and your performance with it, I would drop it like it was hot.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    It may be specific to the one that fits your weapon. I have had mine for about two years and right from the very first time I drew I have not had a problem. Is the specific problem that you don't get enough pressure on the release to allow a draw, or are you missing touching the release altogether? If pressure is the problem, layering grip tape until the height is just right sounds like a very good fix.

That being said, while I love my Serpa, if you are even a tiny bit concerned about it, and your performance with it, I would drop it like it was hot.
    I miss the button. I thought I had a consistent draw, but apparently not! When I actually hit the button, the gun clears slick as snot. Still, I agree with your last paragraph. If I occasionally miss at the range or home, I think it's a pretty good bet I'd miss if I were trying to defend my family or myself!

Quote Originally Posted by d90king View Post
    To long IMHO, unless you are LEO... If I always OC'ed it might be helpful in retention, but under duress I would hate to have to tangle with it when my weapon was really needed.

I am sure others will be along shortly who totally disagree...
    I have the same holster..I have never had a problem catching the release..It maybe how you draw..Me i always have my forefinger run along the holster. So when i draw my finger is right on the release and on the side of the slide when i bring it to eye level..As it should be til ur ready to fire. My .02 cents. Hope that helps.

Semper Fi,

(Berks County)

I honestly never once missed the button on any of my SERPAs. The holster forces you to draw with your index finger along the side of the holster, which lends itself to your finger being properly indexed along the side of the pistol after the draw.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Karma8541 View Post
    I have the same holster..I have never had a problem catching the release..It maybe how you draw..Me i always have my forefinger run along the holster. So when i draw my finger is right on the release and on the side of the slide when i bring it to eye level..As it should be til ur ready to fire. My .02 cents. Hope that helps.

Semper Fi,
    I was taught to draw with my finger at the register position. That is why it doesn't work for me... The tab is lower than the slide, it closer to the trigger guard.

I don't want to draw a pistol and end up with my finger on the trigger guard...

Very well could work for others with different habits....

Quote Originally Posted by BerksCountyDave View Post
    I honestly never once missed the button on any of my SERPAs. The holster forces you to draw with your index finger along the side of the holster, which lends itself to your finger being properly indexed along the side of the pistol after the draw.
    I actually do draw with my finger indexed. Thing is, I consistently miss it just forward of the button. I've tried moving the holster a bit to see if that helped, but not really. I'm gonna have to have Cathy video my draw again sometime and see where I'm positioning my finger on the Beretta. Not that it matters, I'm really beginning to doubt this is the holster for me. Kind of a shame, it's a good holster. I've still got the Bianchi nylon flap holster I carried sometimes in the military. It's a good one for field use, and protects the gun very well. And I can actually get the gun out of it LOL.

(Cambria County)

When I got my Serpa I had it down solid after doing some practice draws for a while. I felt comfortable with it.

Then I used it for a training class. It was like I had to relearn it over again, but after a couple hours it was fine and I had no more issues.

Then I started doing some force on force training with it and had to relearn it over again because I was getting hung up. Now I am not having any problems, but I am scrapping the thing as soon as I get my new holster.

The major drawbacks with the Serpa for me:

The release button rests between the first and second joints of my index finger, which makes it harder to activate.

Under stress, if I start my start the draw before the button is fully depressed the gun gets 'hung' in the holster. The pressure from pulling on the gun puts pressure on the button which prevents the button from being activated. I have to release the pressure on the gun, activate the button then continue my draw. In FoF training this has proven to be very inefficient. I can use the holster with very few problems now, but there was a 'learning period'.

Being that I had to 'learn' the holster when I first got it, then 'learn' it again when doing serious range work, then 'learn' it again when I was doing FoF, I have decided that I have zero interest in 'learning' to use it in any other scenerio, such as a real threat.

When I first got the holster the only thing I did not like was the slight possibility of something getting into the button mechanism and locking the gun into the holster. Given the fact that I don't crawl through dirt and disbris, that was an acceptable risk. But now, that combined with the above problems has made the holster completely unacceptable for me.

I encourage people to be especially critical of their decision to go with the Serpa. I was really confident with it for about a year. I knew there were a bunch of nay-sayers that didn't like the Serpa, but I'm one of those 'have to figure it out for myself' kind of people. Be sure to test it out for yourself. There are big differences between just drawing in your living room, drawing under stress at the range, drawing while getting pinged by plastic BBs and drawing in a life or death situation.

Like Headcase said, if you have any doubts or issues, scrap the thing. And do yourself a favor and look for reasons to scrap it, rather than trying to compete with the nay-sayers and looking for reasons to keep it. (which is probably the only reason I had mine as long as I have.)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast