Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Debating OC'ing

(Luzerne County)

Default Debating OC'ing

Hi everyone, I would like to open up by saying that I have found this forum to be very helpful in familiarizing me with PA's laws regarding CC and OC.

I'm turning 21 in 2 weeks and have been a bit apprehensive about OC'ing. I feel that I will be treated with a bit more hostility because of my age. This brings me to my question. I was wondering if some on the board who are in their early twenties have had any negative experiences because of this, and any advice or suggestions in handling such a situation will be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Debating OC'ing

I would suggest, know what your rights are, know what LEO can and cannot do, don't let anyone intimidate you.
    Be calm and courteous,but stand firm that your rights not be violated, and if the insist, let them know you are complying, under protest.

voice recorder..........

(Washington County)

Actually I think people have more of a tendency to leave you alone if you're young. Maybe they're afriad, I don't know, but it always seems that they argue more with the older folks. Guess it depends on how you look. I have long hair. I suppose if you have more of a rough look about you they'd be less prone to disturb you as well...

Generally people only badger people they feel are not scared of in the least which is why it's usually the clean cut, well dressed, middle aged and up gentlemen that seem to get pestered. Such as Pro2A who was out weeding his garden when some lady jumped his shit.
    Last edited by CerealKiller; September 5th, 2009 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CerealKiller View Post
    Actually I think people have more of a tendency to leave you alone if you're young. Maybe they're afriad, I don't know, but it always seems that they argue more with the older folks. Guess it depends on how you look. I have long hair. I suppose if you have more of a rough look about you they'd be less prone to disturb you as well...

Generally people only badger people they feel are not scared of in the least which is why it's usually the clean cut, well dressed, middle aged and up gentlemen that seem to get pestered. Such as Pro2A who was out weeding his garden when some lady jumped his shit.
    While I might agree with you about the general public mostly bothering the "older" generation because of the fear factor you mention, it is my opinion that leo's would be more inclined to "pester" the younger carriers dressed in jeans and tee shirt more so then one of us middle aged members dressed in dockers and a sport shirt. I am not saying anything wrong with dressing like that, hell I wear jeans most of the time, just that I think "us" older folks may not get hassled as much by leo's.
    As far as Pro2A is concerned I may be wrong but I believe he is around 26 years old, certainly not middle aged. (which he will be relieved to learn)
    But once again this is just my opinion.
    Last edited by Driver400; September 5th, 2009 at 09:31 PM.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by CerealKiller View Post

You know that's a good point. I think I do that at work

(Chester County)

I'd strongly encourage you to get some retention training before just diving into OC. Just my 2 cents.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
    I'd strongly encourage you to get some retention training before just diving into OC. Just my 2 cents.

I just took a retention class a few weeks ago...

...puts a lot of things into perspective.

To the OP, keep in mind that no matter what anyone tells you, there are no guarantees in regards to the open carry of a handgun.

Welcome to the forum.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Monroe County)

I'm 22, and have OC'd about 8 or 10 times... I've been hassled by LE once. Usually all it takes is for you to tell the officer that you know your rights, and they will leave you alone... for now.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post

^^^^^^^
    This

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post
    I don't have time for a full reply right now, but I'm young as well (I look younger than I am) and haven't had any issues because of it. Check out the "What you should know before OCing" sticky for excellent information you should read and folllow...
    http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-14...re-you-do.html

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry