Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default OC reaction from business owner

I went to my favorite video store this afternoon and the owner was there. I have had a passing acquaintance with her since it opened years ago. I was CC'ing. As I paid for my rentals(and usual late fees ), she says, "Oh it was you!", and starts to laugh. Perplexed, I asked what was me? She said that I was in a few weeks ago and I must have been "packing". It seems that the clerk on duty that afternoon saw my OC'ed firearm, and didn't know what to do about it. After I had paid and went home, he had left her a note with my account number or something and said he was scared of it and didn't know what he should do. She then said that she called him and asked what the problem was. He told her that a customer walked in with a gun on his hip. She asked if it had been pointed at him. He told her no. She asked what the person did, and he told her," looked around, picked out a few DVDs and paid for them, then left.". So she asked what the problem was. He asked if it was legal and she told him that as long as they had a permit it was. I laughed and told her that there was no requirement for a license to open carry in Pa, unless you're in Philly, and that it was a common misconception because not many people knew the law. She told me that obviously she didn't know you could OC with no permit. Then she jokes that instead of being worried about me, he should be worried about the guy in a wife beater hanging outside the store twenty minutes after they close.
    Anyway, we joked a bit and then I left. As always, make of it what you will.....

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: OC reaction from business owner

I can't give rep to the manager, so I'll give it to you instead....

That's a great story. You should go back in there when the clerk who was frightened is there and give him/her one of Rich's fliers and discuss how criminals don't OC, and rarely use holsters. A little education can go a LONG way.

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    I went to my favorite video store this afternoon and the owner was there. I have had a passing acquaintance with her since it opened years ago. I was CC'ing. As I paid for my rentals(and usual late fees ), she says, "Oh it was you!", and starts to laugh. Perplexed, I asked what was me? She said that I was in a few weeks ago and I must have been "packing". It seems that the clerk on duty that afternoon saw my OC'ed firearm, and didn't know what to do about it. After I had paid and went home, he had left her a note with my account number or something and said he was scared of it and didn't know what he should do. She then said that she called him and asked what the problem was. He told her that a customer walked in with a gun on his hip. She asked if it had been pointed at him. He told her no. She asked what the person did, and he told her," looked around, picked out a few DVDs and paid for them, then left.". So she asked what the problem was. He asked if it was legal and she told him that as long as they had a permit it was. I laughed and told her that there was no requirement for a license to open carry in Pa, unless you're in Philly, and that it was a common misconception because not many people knew the law. She told me that obviously she didn't know you could OC with no permit. Then she jokes that instead of being worried about me, he should be worried about the guy in a wife beater hanging outside the store twenty minutes after they close.
    Anyway, we joked a bit and then I left. As always, make of it what you will.....
    Nice job explaining the situation to the owner. Next time you see that same clerk just smile as you return you DVD's. Maybe he won't be so quick to charge you that late fee.

(Allegheny County)

Sounds like the manager takes the calm and sensible approach to situations. Kudo's to her.

We should sponsor a PA open carry day. With T-shirts of the law on them.

THAT, may put to rest the retards babbling dumb shit about laws they do not understand.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    I just repped you an hour ago for another post of yours. Can't help you this time around!

Funny how business owners tend to think things through. Wow, there's an interesting concept, eh?

What we REALLY need is an OC/CC awareness weekend. An annual event complete with Dipping Dots & strawberry shortcake! Oh, and COOKIES!!!
    ~ Luke... Come to the dark side... We have cookies! ~

If only the original clerk would have asked about the sidearm (yo man, like what's up with the gun? ), his fears would have been put to rest quickly and he would have learned something there on the spot from headcase.

I have to spread some love Headcase, but great story. It is always good to hear of a business owner with her (or his!) head on straight.

On my way home from PA Patriot's, we stopped just south of I 80 for some refreshment on the way home. The three of us walked into the store, browsed around for a few minutes, and then walked up to the counter to pay. Mrs. Plinker and our little Plinkette walked out the door, but I was held up by the lady behind the counter, who looked to be the owner from the way she was running the place.

"What kind of gun is that you have there?" (very friendly like)

"It's a Colt .45 auto." (stainless, with rosewood grips )

"My husband has one that looks a lot like it. He doesn't carry it much around here, but we take it with us every time we go to Philly!"

We talked for a few more seconds, and then I got out of the way just in case the guy behind me had a gun too.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by PennsyPlinker View Post
    We talked for a few more seconds, and then I got out of the way just in case the guy behind me had a gun too.
    Now that's funny right there & I don't care who you are!

Oh, you owe me ANOTHER keyboard Pennsy!
    ~ Luke... Come to the dark side... We have cookies! ~

... but I was held up by the lady behind the counter,
    WOW, she held you up even though you were OC'ing...she has guts, man, hope she didn't get much from you

Sorry, couldn't resist!

(Dauphin County)

"What kind of gun is that you have there?" (very friendly like)

"It's a Colt .45 auto." (stainless, with rosewood grips )

lol you know Pennsy Pride is one of the big sins

j/k man it is a beauty for sure.. i want one !!! lol
    Tigers love pepper, they don't like cinnamon !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast