Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default OC in philly on 4th of July

My wife and I decided to head down the Philly on the 4th to see the fireworks show at the Art Museum. Not wanting to get stuck in traffic we decide to load the mountain bikes onto the back of the car and park far away and ride over.

She worked till 6 so by the time we got down to Philly it was 7:15. We parked in a free lot down my N Front and Reed St. Not knowing what neighborhoods are good or bad I made sure i had my glock 36 on my side. Wearing jean shorts, a tshirt and OWB holster. We unload the bikes and set off stopping by Pats Steaks for some grub but my wife wasn't hungry for cheesesteaks. One of my coworkers told me about a restaurant called Mama Palma's so we decide to head that way which is about 3 miles i would guess. Heading over the neighborhood seems kinda seedy. Guys hanging out on corners and picnic tables in the street with people playing cards and drinking. Rode through without incident.

We get to the restaurant and well just my luck, they are closed for the holiday. Not knowing where to go from here we head up the Schuylkill River trail and get of just before the art museum. Every restaurant i could find was closed.

I see a cop standing on the corner and decide to ask him where i can grab a bite to eat around here totally forgetting about having my gun hanging out in the open. We ride up and I ask him where i can grab a bite to eat around here. He points around the corner and look and see like a million food stand.. Man i felt dumb. We rode off and he never said a thing about my firearm. <it was on my side facing him also> .

We ended up eating at a little Pizza joint around 20th and Market. Owner glanced down and smiled and didn't say a thing. Finished eating and rode back down to the Schuylkill River trail which was loaded with people waiting to see the fireworks. Not one comment or cop came running. Fireworks ended and we made it back to the car ok and headed home.

Not my first open carry experience since i do it all the time but it was my first in philly and not one negative incident occurred.

Default Re: OC in philly on 4th of July

good to hear you survived

(Delaware County)

Good Report!
    "...The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded...It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force."
    Marko Kloos 2007

(Carbon County)

Glad you survived.

Is that deriliction of duty? Shouldnt he have asked for your LTCF? One is necessary even for OWB in Philly as its a "city of first class".
    if you ever see my post edited...its most likely for speling :D
    "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges"-In Time of War the Law Falls Silent-Cicero
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum"-If you want peace, prepare for war-Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"America Starts Here!"-former PA state Slogan...until NJ complained and our wussy GovRendell changed it!

Quote Originally Posted by Archiver View Post
    Glad you survived.

Is that deriliction of duty? Shouldnt he have asked for your LTCF? One is necessary even for OWB in Philly as its a "city of first class".
    good point

(Dauphin County)

excellent post !!
    Tigers love pepper, they don't like cinnamon !

(Monroe County)

Good report

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Northampton County)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archiver
    Glad you survived.

good point
    Do cops ask everyone they see driving a motor vehicle for their driver's license?? One is required to operate a vehicle on a public street.

(Delaware County)

Good report, am surprised with philly and a big event which had dozens of cops you atleast were not asked about your sidearm with it being philly.
    But good for you, glad you had a fun night.

(Montgomery County)

Question Re: OC in philly on 4th of July

Isn't the Schuylkill River trail posted no firearms? I know it is in Montgomery county.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast