Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (York County)

Unhappy I saw my father as a mortal man for the 1st time today

Today my father is in the hospital once again waging the long battle agaist cancer that he has been engaged in for the past 10yrs. Up until today he has been as hard assed about this as he has everything else in his life.

But as I sit her tonight helping this once hulk of a man adjust his frail frame to a more comfortable position in bed, I can't help but realize that we are all human, and will one day need the help of others to do the simplest of tasks.

I guess what I'm tryiing to say is that now maybe I am a man? I am offering the same kind words and soft hand to the man who once offered them to me and nursed me to health as a child.Have I come full circle? Over the years my father and I have had our differences, as I'm sure that all fathers and sons do, but they are all washing away and seeming very insignificant at the moment. I have no real faer of losing my father, he was in the army, then an LEO for the past 30+ years so I came to know long ago that he may just not make it back one day. What I am sad for is that our daughter may not grow to know the man that I called "daddy". Her 'Poppy' is sick, and not feeling well, and she cannot understand why. We try to explain it to her as best as we can. But still she is upset.

In all reality dad will likely be discharged home by the weekend, but most likely not as the same man who used to have arms as wide as canyons, hands as hard as steel and a heart as soft as clouds. I only hope that I can one day live up to his legacy, and pass on what I have learned to my children.

Sons forgive your fathers, fathers love your sons.

Dave
    3%

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: I saw my father as a mortal man for the 1st time today

my deepest sympathies, i never had a relationship with my biological father, and because of this i try to be the father you described above, and hope that they will know that i love them beyond words. let him know what he means to you, i'm sure it will speak volumes to him and he will have peace of mind through his trials.
    mikey

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brown-Bear View Post
    Today my father is in the hospital once again waging the long battle agaist cancer that he has been engaged in for the past 10yrs. Up until today he has been as hard assed about this as he has everything else in his life.

But as I sit her tonight helping this once hulk of a man adjust his frail frame to a more comfortable position in bed, I can't help but realize that we are all human, and will one day need the help of others to do the simplest of tasks.

I guess what I'm tryiing to say is that now maybe I am a man? I am offering the same kind words and soft hand to the man who once offered them to me and nursed me to health as a child.Have I come full circle? Over the years my father and I have had our differences, as I'm sure that all fathers and sons do, but they are all washing away and seeming very insignificant at the moment. I have no real faer of losing my father, he was in the army, then an LEO for the past 30+ years so I came to know long ago that he may just not make it back one day. What I am sad for is that our daughter may not grow to know the man that I called "daddy". Her 'Poppy' is sick, and not feeling well, and she cannot understand why. We try to explain it to her as best as we can. But still she is upset.

In all reality dad will likely be discharged home by the weekend, but most likely not as the same man who used to have arms as wide as canyons, hands as hard as steel and a heart as soft as clouds. I only hope that I can one day live up to his legacy, and pass on what I have learned to my children.
    Sons forgive your fathers, fathers love your sons.

Dave
    *bold is mine

I think you just did bro....

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Carbon County)

My sympathies and prayers to you and your family.
    If zombies start chasing us, I'm going to trip you!

Rep to you sir, as you have brought tears to my eyes.

I lost my Daddy 2 yrs ago Friday. I ask everyday for just one more day with him.

Make the most of your time together. Keep him safe and warm just like he did you. He deserves your love the way he loved you.

I bet he is just as proud of you as you are of him.

God Bless!

(Lackawanna County)

wow. i'd rep you if i could.

i went through a similar realization last year, when my father became deathly ill. he caught an unspecified viral infection. he lost lots of weight, and was dehydrated. it got so bad, that he came close to total renal failure. he was touch and go for a few weeks, and for every minute of it, i sat by the phone, with trembling hands, trying to ready myself for the worst news.

like you, i always looked at him as immortal. a better way of saying it might be: he's the only man i'm still afraid of, but in a respectful, admiring way. talking to him on the phone, i could hear the weakness in his voice, how it cracked every time he spoke of leaving my mother alone. he was afraid, for the first time, and was letting me know it. thank G*D, he made a slow, but full, recovery.

i can honestly say that i understand what you must be feeling now, and all i can tell is this: you are not alone.

(Jefferson County)

Its very humbling to see the person you know as Superman to become a frail mortal. Being strong for him and seeing him as he'd want to appear is about all you can do. Serve the man and his dynasty all the honor that is due to a king. No matter how trying the times, do all you can for him.

My sympathies go out to you and your family.
    Last edited by knight0334; October 1st, 2008 at 10:21 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Pike County)

Prayers sent to your father, you, and your family.

(York County)

Dave,
    Sorry to hear about your father. It's really hard watching someone you love wither away, I know because I watched as brain cancer took my step-father in 12 short months. Live every day like it's your last, none of us know how much time we have.

(Westmoreland County)

I too can relate. My Dad died almost 2 years ago. He was always the strong one and to watch him slip away a little more after each stroke (5 in all) was very tough to take. He was in a nursing home, and as the time drew nearer, I dreaded each phone call. There is an old hymn "Precious Memories". The lyrics really hit home. You and your family (especially your daughter) will be in my prayers.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast