Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Adams County)

Default christmas came early. 1 question

OK got my LTCF approval letter yesterday in the mail. The office was not open to pick it up yesterday. So my question is this. Would it be legal to carry today with my approval letter? Thanks for your responses and Happy Holidays..

(Tioga County)

Default Re: christmas came early. 1 question

Nope. Not until you have the license in hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Doeboy_99 View Post
    OK got my LTCF approval letter yesterday in the mail. The office was not open to pick it up yesterday. So my question is this. Would it be legal to carry today with my approval letter? Thanks for your responses and Happy Holidays..
    USNRET '61-'81

(Somerset County)

I would just stay home and enjoy Christmas today and pick it up tomorrow if it were me.
    Don't blame me ; I voted for an American .

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwilson452 View Post
    Nope. Not until you have the license in hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1861 View Post
    I would just stay home and enjoy Christmas today and pick it up tomorrow if it were me.
    I agree. Waiting another day or to is going to matter much.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Doeboy_99 View Post
    As long as you're walking and not carrying concealed.

(Monroe County)

You have to pay the rest of your fee when you pick the license up, no? If that is how it works in your county, then you don't have anything yet, and are not allowed to carry as if you do, IMHO. Merry Ho ho ho. Relax, enjoy the holiday, and go get it when you can

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Lackawanna County)

I am not a lawyer, cop, deputy, judge, federal agent, nor am I an official dog catcher, but...

As I recall, a "license" (or even a "permit", for that matter) is not a "piece of paper" (or "card") but it is sort of an "intangible thing" - it is an "agreement"/"understanding" that the governmental privilege (whatever the privilege is) granted to you, in fact, is granted to you. While a placard or paper might show/symbolize that you are 'licensed', (legally speaking) it is not 'a license' per se. The card is just 'proof' that you are a licensee. If you are licensed, you are licensed - whether you have any official proof on you or not.

If I accidentally drop my license 'card' in a vat of acid, I am still "licensed" (and, of course, I could get a replacement/duplicate card).

I did a little rummaging when this particular idea presented itself last and it seemed plausible that, the way the UFA is written, you do not necessarily need to carry 'proof' (an official 'card' or 'paper') to be "licensed" or to exercise the privileges of your LTCF. The only part that snagged was where the laws states a licensee's duty to present the 'license' on lawful demand. Technically, one could argue that this 'presentation' could take the form of an 'explicit statement' or something - the law does not say what (other than your 'license') must be presented or how it must be presented.

However, I am not suggesting that *any* judge *anywhere* in Pa. would *have to* agree with me or find any of these arguments at all reasonable.

Also, I am not suggesting that *anyone* ever try to get your average Barney Fife on the street to comprehend any of the above when you are suddenly found carrying concealed without any 'official proof of licenseure' on you.

If *I* did not have my LTCF card on me for some reason (lost/stolen/whatever), I would not carry concealed or in a vehicle.
    Cogito, ergo armatus sum.
    ...Say that to my face.

(Lackawanna County)

If I recall correctly, the permit must be on hand while carrying. Not having it on your person (while cc'ing ... and if memory serves correctly) will get you treated by LEOs as if you have none, according to the law. Not worth the hassle of proving yourself innocent before being charged as guilty if you ask me.

Others on this forum can more than likely quote the exact terminology from State law, but I'm pretty sure the above stated is close.
    - Never judge a person until you've walked a mile in their shoes. If you still don't like them, you're a mile away .... and have their shoes.
    - Always remember, you are unique ..... just like everyone else.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by AverageJoe View Post
    If I recall correctly, the permit must be on hand while carrying. Not having it on your person (while cc'ing ... and if memory serves correctly) will get you treated by LEOs as if you have none, according to the law. Not worth the hassle of proving yourself innocent before being charged as guilty if you ask me.

Others on this forum can more than likely quote the exact terminology from State law, but I'm pretty sure the above stated is close.
    Not even.

Bruce is correct. While it's certainly not recommended to routinely leave your license behind while in a vehicle or concealing, the legal requirement is to "be licensed", not "be in possession of a license".
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Lackawanna County)

gnbrotz, I stand corrected. Thank you. I greatly value your knowledge and appreciate the correction.

I could have sworn I read that somewhere my above statement was close to correct ... my bad. Sorry ... I'll sit in the corner with the dunce cap now.
    Last edited by AverageJoe; December 25th, 2008 at 10:51 PM. Reason: ... cause even with a spell checker ... I still can't seem to get it right
    - Never judge a person until you've walked a mile in their shoes. If you still don't like them, you're a mile away .... and have their shoes.
    - Always remember, you are unique ..... just like everyone else.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast