Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Great OC experience tonight - Educated one of the misinformed good guys!

So I OC'ed all day long today, 7:00AM until a few minutes ago when I finally came home to stay. For the most part, the day was uneventful. I did have one encounter at the grocery store that I'd like to share, though.

I was standing at the dairy case looking for the particular brand of yogurt my fiancee likes (PITA, that damn yogurt). As I'm standing there contemplating the yogurt future of our household, I see a man out of my peripheral to my right (my strong side, where my gun is sitting). This fella keeps moving a few steps closer to me, stopping and pretending to be looking at food, but eyeing up my gun pretty obviously. At this point I'm starting to get leary, so I begin to step away from the dairy case. At that point, the conversation starts, as the guy basically hollers in my direction:

Guy: "Hey, is that legal?" (Of course at this point, I'm thinking this is going to be a repeat of headcase's grocery store experience from earlier this week!)

Me: "Excuse me?"

Guy: "Is that legal, carrying your gun uncovered like that? I mean, everyone can see it!"

Me (smiling at this point): "Yes, sir this is perfectly legal in the state of Pennsylvania. Anyone who can legally own a handgun may carry said handgun openly on his or her person. An LTCF isn't even required, unless said person is in a vehicle or in Philadelphia."

(So obviously now I'm waiting for some asinine comment intended to start an argument with me. I was pleasantly surprised when I heard instead . . . )

Guy: "Wow! I never knew that! That sure looks a hell of a lot more comfortable than carrying my gun inside my waistband like I have been for three years now! Maybe I'll start doing that instead!"

Me (relived at this point): "Yes, it certainly is more comfortable. You do need to be extra cognizant of your situational awareness and firearm retention while OC'ing, though. But, you should be doing that 24/7/365 anyway. Hey, I need to get going home to the Mrs. with her yogurt. I would suggest you check out this website and the discussion forums, especially the concealed & open carry section." (I write down www.pafoa.org on a piece of paper I had in my pocket and hand it to him).

Guy: "Great I'll check it out! Thanks for the info!"

Me: "No problem, you have a great night."

All in all, I thought it was a great experience. Education like this is one of the main reasons I OC. Today was a good day.

(Venango County)

Default Re: Great OC experience tonight - Educated one of the misinformed good guys!

Nice !

10 char..LOL

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Great OC experience tonight - Educated one of the misinformed good guys!

Good for you Dave........one step closer to banishing the ignorance !!

Marry you, and ruin it all ? I say let's play in sin. ~Michele
    Do ya like warm oil massages ?~Me
    As long as it's gun oil.~Michele

(Montgomery County)

heh, i OCd today, pretty unintentionally.

I was totin the FN 5.7, bladetech IWB on the strong side, and a double mag holster on the other(thats like 61rds)

I go to the local Weis markets to pick up food, nobody noticed that i can tell.
    at leastnobody saud anything about it.

stop into the local minimart, and spot the PD Cruiser in the slot next to me, dont think anything of it.

Walk inside, grab my crap, and get a tap on the shoulder

Cops there, he says "You got a valid license to carry?"

i said "yup"

He says "That a Five Seven?"

I said "Yup"

so we had about a 5 minute discussion on the gun merits and cartridge, and he says "ok, have a good day"

and walks out.

thats it.

more than a little surprised by the smalltown cop.

Wont be doing it regularly tho, this time i just forgot.

as a note, i was wearing my Zombie Squad T, thats has the big ZS on the front, and "We make dead things deader" on the back
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Delaware County)

Great job educating a fellow gun owner!

(Monroe County)

Nice to have an experience like that. It makes you have more faith in LEO.

(Monroe County)

I have to spread the love around or I would rep you two

Outstanding job BCD!!! One of the reasons I OC is just that reason. Keep up the good work

I know you didn't mean it, Jay, but good job anyway

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Luzerne County)

Good job.....
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    He says "That a Five Seven?"

I said "Yup"

so we had about a 5 minute discussion on the gun merits and cartridge, and he says "ok, have a good day"

and walks out.

thats it.
    It does me good just knowing that America does still exist in places on the north american continent. I haven't been there in a while and often miss it.

i would like to see someone oc in upper darby, havertown, springfield, broomall, ect... just curious to see what would happen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast