Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (York County)

Default I would like to OC but...

I have my PLCF and cc everywhere I go. I am always checking to make sure
    my firearm isn't showing. I didn't realize we could OC. I haven't seen any OC
    in my hometown of Hanover. I think if I seen someone do it I would be more
    likely to OC. So I guess I would welcome some encouragement here. Thanks.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: I would like to OC but...

Welcome to PAFOA! I know we have at least one other member in Hanover who OC's on a regular basis (fingers80002). I bet he'd be happy to share his experiences with you and perhaps even meet up at some point so you could actually see someone OCing "in real life".

Remember, don't be pressured into OC simply because others are doing it. This is a decision that is completely up to you.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by algoesfast View Post
    I have my PLCF and cc everywhere I go. I am always checking to make sure
    my firearm isn't showing. I didn't realize we could OC. I haven't seen any OC
    in my hometown of Hanover. I think if I seen someone do it I would be more
    likely to OC. So I guess I would welcome some encouragement here. Thanks.
    Well first off let me say welcome to the forum. Now let me say this, you should only OC if you are ready to and not becasue some one else is doin it. Beside the OC meet and eats I have been to I have never ever seen any one esle but me OC. Ocing is not to be taken lightly, there is risk of encounters with uneducated LEO and soem of them can be rude and down right nasty. You need to have a proper secure holster to do so.

When out Ocing you also need to be attentive and nice. Always know what is going on around you at all times. Also you will be an ambassador for the gun world. Which meand being very polite and courteous. There is a lot more to OC then just tucking in your shirt and going for a stroll.

Now let me say this, OC is very addictive you will find out how comfy it is. It keeps the gun off of you on a hot day and it gives you very fast accses to your gun if you should need it.

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty!

(York County)

Thanks for the comments. I believe I should have introduced myself and gave
    some background. I went shooting with my father as far back as I can remember. I also joined the Army when I was 17. I take carrying a firearm very seriously. I am always polite and nice to everyone I encounter. I don't want anyone to be able to say that I contributed to a confrontation. At this moment I do not have a suitable holster for OC. But I carry a S&W sigma 40.
    I always have 14 rounds. I have lots of reading on being aware of people around you. I already won't allow people to get close to my carry side. I know that it is my responsibility to protect my firearm at all times. I am confident that I can open carry safely and represent us well. I just seems strange to think about OC. Oh and on the topic I guess if I am cc I don't need to be so concerned about anyone being able to make out the outline of my firearm? Thanks again.

(Franklin County)

Please don't take my comments as trying to discourage you from OC. I am a big supporter of OC, and practice it daily. However, some of our detractors accuse us of telling anyone to "just do it" without any practical considerations.

Others correctly point out that there are important things to keep in mind - things that apply to CC too, but even more to OC - things like weapon retention and being aware of your surroundings.

I carry a S&W Sigma in .40 as well. I have a Blackhawk Serpa holster, which employs an active retention on my firearm. I am very happy with it's performance. If you purchase this holster for the Glock 20/21, it will fit your Sigma.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by algoesfast View Post
    Thanks for the comments. I believe I should have introduced myself and gave
    some background. I went shooting with my father as far back as I can remember. I also joined the Army when I was 17. I take carrying a firearm very seriously. I am always polite and nice to everyone I encounter. I don't want anyone to be able to say that I contributed to a confrontation. At this moment I do not have a suitable holster for OC. But I carry a S&W sigma 40.
    I always have 14 rounds. I have lots of reading on being aware of people around you. I already won't allow people to get close to my carry side. I know that it is my responsibility to protect my firearm at all times. I am confident that I can open carry safely and represent us well. I just seems strange to think about OC. Oh and on the topic I guess if I am cc I don't need to be so concerned about anyone being able to make out the outline of my firearm? Thanks again.
    Welcome to the PAFOA! I also carry a S&W .40VE. I use a Serpa Blackhawk Level II. Cost me about $35 at Warners in Tannersville. Everything said previous is great advice. Look up Fingers, or PM him, he is a great guy and I am sure he would not mind going on a little OC around town with you. If you feel you are ready, but are nervous, just jump in and do it. The first time, and maybe a few subsequent times, will probably feel like you are naked walking around town, LOL, but it passes... I felt very similar to how you feel when I did it my first time. After reading about Pa. Patriot and Gnbrotz just going about their lives while OC'ing with no real problems, I just said, F'it and did it. I was scared spitless the first time, but like I said, it passes.

If you don't feel you are ready, then don't do it until you are sure. It all boils down to what you want to do. If you need someone to hold your hand(not meant in a mean way), I am sure Fingers will be happy to square you away

*Hey Fingers, ya like how I volunteered you

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    Welcome to the PAFOA! I also carry a S&W .40VE. I use a Serpa Blackhawk Level II. Cost me about $35 at Warners in Tannersville. Everything said previous is great advice. Look up Fingers, or PM him, he is a great guy and I am sure he would not mind going on a little OC around town with you. If you feel you are ready, but are nervous, just jump in and do it. The first time, and maybe a few subsequent times, will probably feel like you are naked walking around town, LOL, but it passes... I felt very similar to how you feel when I did it my first time. After reading about Pa. Patriot and Gnbrotz just going about their lives while OC'ing with no real problems, I just said, F'it and did it. I was scared spitless the first time, but like I said, it passes.

If you don't feel you are ready, then don't do it until you are sure. It all boils down to what you want to do. If you need someone to hold your hand(not meant in a mean way), I am sure Fingers will be happy to square you away

*Hey Fingers, ya like how I volunteered you

Thanks, sorry I didn't get in sooner.

PM me.

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

Fingers was attending a shooting party today, let him rest a lil LOL
    LOL, I am a woman...

i OC in hanover a decent bit. it drives my co-worker nuts... lol

"you dont need a .45 at hickory falls while playing put put!!!"

swing by my office some day... Marine Corps Recruiting on Carlisle street.

318-4301 is my work cell.
    Grant
    This Space For Rent

Quote Originally Posted by XD40coyote View Post
    Fingers was attending a shooting party today, let him rest a lil LOL
    thanks by the way!!!

i had a great time!
    This Space For Rent

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast