Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Watching Cops Last Night

Guy was pulled over for speeding in OH, as he was reaching into the glove compartment to get his paperwork, cop spotted his handgun and freaked out on the guy. Calling for backup and drawing on the guy, screaming yelling for him not to move, do anything, screaming into his mike for backup to hurry up he had a guy with a gun.

Once backup arrived (three other cops) they yanked the guy from his car throwing him down on the ground really jacking him around.

Cop asked, what he needed a gun for?
    Guy responded, "Protection"
    Cop, Protection, Protection from what? (I was thinking from a**es like you)

Guess that's the reason I will always let LEO's know what I have before they "find" it.

Hope the guy had a good gun lawyer
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Watching Cops Last Night

Quote Originally Posted by tdyoung58 View Post
    Guy was pulled over for speeding in OH, as he was reaching into the glove compartment to get his paperwork, cop spotted his handgun and freaked out on the guy. Calling for backup and drawing on the guy, screaming yelling for him not to move, do anything, screaming into his mike for backup to hurry up he had a guy with a gun.

Once backup arrived (three other cops) they yanked the guy from his car throwing him down on the ground really jacking him around.

Cop asked, what he needed a gun for?
    Guy responded, "Protection"
    Cop, Protection, Protection from what? (I was thinking from a**es like you)

Guess that's the reason I will always let LEO's know what I have before they "find" it.

Hope the guy had a good gun lawyer
    Or.....He could have not kept his gun with his paperwork and got his ticket, driving off to speed and shoot another day, avoiding the whole mess in the first place....

We should not have to live our lives like we are criminals FFS, but the reality is that if a cop sees a firearm on a traffic stop, he will most likely freak out. Be smart about preparing for LEO contacts, so you don't have to go through crap like that....

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Monroe County)

Isn`t the Buckeye one of the states that requirer letting the LEO know if stopped.

Ohio:
    If a licensee is transporting a loaded concealed
    firearm and is stopped by a law enforcement officer,
    he must keep his hands in plain sight, notify the
    officer that he has a concealed firearm and a license
    to carry a concealed firearm, and follow all specific
    instructions issued by the officer.

I would have let him know if it had been me before I reached over and opened it. It was obvious the guy knew it was in there. Cop still over reacted.

Guess that's why it was on Cops
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Bucks County)

Might be a dumb question but I’ve heard a few different answers before. But in PA, if I’m concealing do I bring it to the officer attention during a traffic stop and show proper identification and permits. Or not say anything unless he asks? I’ve never been pulled over while CCW and I’m not sure what I’d do in that situation.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by buckscobill View Post
    Might be a dumb question but I’ve heard a few different answers before. But in PA, if I’m concealing do I bring it to the officer attention during a traffic stop and show proper identification and permits. Or not say anything unless he asks? I’ve never been pulled over while CCW and I’m not sure what I’d do in that situation.
    IANAL

Cop: Do you have anything illegal in the car?

You: No sir I have nothing illegal in the car!

In PA you do not have to report that you have a gun unless being arrested.

DC

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by buckscobill View Post

Personally I will obey all commands from the officer but I will not inform him that I am CCing. Most of the time you will just be issued a ticket for your traffic violation and you will be on your way. Maybe if I had to reach for any personal information he needed and there would be risk of my firearm being displayed, would I notify the officer. Pa law does not require notification. If you notify the officer you have a firearm initially, you will probably be yanked from your car and weapon taken and ran in the system.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by tdyoung58 View Post
    I would have let him know if it had been me before I reached over and opened it. It was obvious the guy knew it was in there. Cop still over reacted.

Guess that's why it was on Cops
    I did not see the show but unless the LEOs shot the driver or beat the snot out of him I don't think that they over reacted in any way. The driver was STUPID, broke the law and was very lucky that he did not get shot in the bad of the head 2 seconds after the lone LEO saw the handgun.

I am very glad that he did not get shot for his sake and the officers but it very well could have happened and the LEO very possibly would not have been charged. I am not sure that I would have wanted him charged if I was sitting on a grand jury that heard the case.

This is exactly why I am a firm believer that we all should present our LTCF with our driver's license when the officer first approaches the driver's side window. This way the LEO knows that he may see a handgun and he also knows he probably is daling with a law abiding citizen. I that position is not popular with some people but I have discussed this topic with numerous LEO including family members and everyone of them said that they really would like to be presented with the LTCF because they did not want to be surprised by seeing a handgun when the driver straches to the glove box for his insurance card or under the the seat, etc. I have also heard from several that getting the LTCF up front without asking is really appreciated by them and they are more inclined to be "flexible" when deciding if a ticket is really appropriate for the situation.

I hope that this cops episode demonstrates a good lesson in how NOT to act and will save others from trouble.

OK fire away all of you who take exception. Sorry but it is just my opinion.

Have a great day and be safe.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by shermdo View Post
    I did not see the show but unless the LEOs shot the driver or beat the snot out of him I don't think that they over reacted in any way. The driver was STUPID, broke the law and was very lucky that he did not get shot in the bad of the head 2 seconds after the lone LEO saw the handgun.

I am very glad that he did not get shot for his sake and the officers but it very well could have happened and the LEO very possibly would not have been charged. I am not sure that I would have wanted him charged if I was sitting on a grand jury that heard the case.

This is exactly why I am a firm believer that we all should present our LTCF with our driver's license when the officer first approaches the driver's side window. This way the LEO knows that he may see a handgun and he also knows he probably is daling with a law abiding citizen. I that position is not popular with some people but I have discussed this topic with numerous LEO including family members and everyone of them said that they really would like to be presented with the LTCF because they did not want to be surprised by seeing a handgun when the driver straches to the glove box for his insurance card or under the the seat, etc. I have also heard from several that getting the LTCF up front without asking is really appreciated by them and they are more inclined to be "flexible" when deciding if a ticket is really appropriate for the situation.

I hope that this cops episode demonstrates a good lesson in how NOT to act and will save others from trouble.

OK fire away all of you who take exception. Sorry but it is just my opinion.

Have a great day and be safe.
    I'd like to second that. Being upfront with LEO's goes a long way with them. Just being straight and not bullshitting is the best way to get out of a ticket. More than lying, cops hate surprises. Catching a glimpse of your piece when you reach for your registration definitely counts as a surprise.

(Allegheny County)

if you have a gun in your glove compartment and that is also where your registration, etc. is, then, imho, you would be nuts to not tell the LEO about it before opening the glove compartment.

but, here in PA where there is no legal duty to inform, if the gun is concealed on you waist, i would recommend against notification unless you are asked to exit the vehicle.

the officer is not going to discover the gun unless you have to get out of the car. so, there is little risk involved in not informing if you are never asked to exit the vehicle.

however, there have been numerous cases of people being disarmed (and sometimes having their gun "run" through whatever databases the officer runs it through) as a result of informing. there was at least one case posted here on PAFOA where the gun was illegally confiscated because it was not in the PSP sales database (even though it does not need to be in that database).

so, by informing, you are risking:

1. being disarmed which (even if you do not have a problem with that in principle) means unneccessary gun handling by someone who may not be familiar with the gun you are carrying or the holster in which it is carried. this is an accidental/negligent discharge waiting to happen.

2. having your gun confiscated.

personally, i see nothing good, and potentially something bad, coming from informing in PA if you are not asked to exit the vehicle and the gun is concealed on your person or some other place where the LEO is not going to see it.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast