Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Colt M4 .22 VS S&W M&P 15-22

Well have been getting into AR scene quite a bit lately. Have been debating on getting a .22 version just for because of the price in ammo lately. I am debating between these 2 models and am leaning towards the colt because of how close to the real thing it looks. However after all my research i am afraid of all the problems people have with these things that it will be trouble from the get go. The S&W looks decent but i have heard of problems with this also. Any input would be great before i go purchasing my first rifle in a while and its something i regret.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Colt M4 .22 VS S&W M&P 15-22

I haven't heard of too many problems with the S&W's but have heard of a ton about the Colts which are made by Walther. If I were to choose I'd go with the S&W personally.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Beaver County)

Well my opinion and it maybe biased is for you to take a look at the Sig522. It is built better (IMO) then both the Smith and Colt. I've got probably 700 - 800 rounds fired and NO FTF, FTE or any issues at all. Here are a few posts to look at:

http://forum.pafoa.org/rifles-42/807...olo-50yds.html

http://forum.pafoa.org/rifles-42/467...522-rifle.html

http://forum.pafoa.org/rifles-42/780...-522-pics.html

(Lehigh County)

Yeah the sig is defiantly wearing on me a little bit. I just want something that looks identical to the ar15 i may never own who knows maybe ill just get the real thing and the .22 conversion cant decide if its worth spending the money at the moment or just get the .22. Ive shot the S&W and it shot perfect and very accurate. I just dont think it looks that good.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by V-MAN View Post
    Well my opinion and it maybe biased is for you to take a look at the Sig522. It is built better (IMO) then both the Smith and Colt. I've got probably 700 - 800 rounds fired and NO FTF, FTE or any issues at all. Here are a few posts to look at:

http://forum.pafoa.org/rifles-42/807...olo-50yds.html

http://forum.pafoa.org/rifles-42/467...522-rifle.html

http://forum.pafoa.org/rifles-42/780...-522-pics.html
    So how is a Sig 552 at all relevant to his question as to which .22LR AR to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by dvandriesen View Post
    Yeah the sig is defiantly wearing on me a little bit. I just want something that looks identical to the ar15 i may never own who knows maybe ill just get the real thing and the .22 conversion cant decide if its worth spending the money at the moment or just get the .22. Ive shot the S&W and it shot perfect and very accurate. I just dont think it looks that good.
    Ah who cares what it looks like, run it hard have fun.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by dvandriesen View Post
    Easy solution ... get the 556 and the 522 ...

Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Prime View Post
    So how is a Sig 552 at all relevant to his question as to which .22LR AR to buy?
    Not sure what a 552 is but a 522 is a 22LR

From Sig website:

The Look and Feel of the Classic SIG556 ™ in Affordable .22 Rifle

SIG SAUER, Inc., the leading manufacturer of commercial, law enforcement, and military firearms fuels the demand for the legendary SIG556 performance but in an affordable .22 LR caliber with the new SIG522 semi-automatic rifle. Featuring SIG556 parts including a Swiss type folding stock and polymer forend on a durable metal receiver with integral Picatinny rail. The SIG522 provides the avid sport shooter plenty of action on a classic military style platform that give the look, feel and dependability of our full size SIG556.

Last edited by V-MAN; December 6th, 2009 at 05:55 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

ahh 522, sorry I misread your earlier post. I did not know Sig was making one in .22 Very cool!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Prime View Post
    I haven't heard of too many problems with the S&W's but have heard of a ton about the Colts which are made by Walther. If I were to choose I'd go with the S&W personally.
    what he said

(Luzerne County)

Respects to Shawn and Legion, however hearsay is just that. I own and shoot the Colt/Walther M4. I've run about 1500 rounds through it with very little trouble. The first couple hundred rounds were from a VERY old brick of federals from K-Mart with like an $8.00 price tag. Had lots of failures with them. Now with fresh ammo, mostly American Eagle the thing just runs great. I had an issue with the mag catch not holding and the mag dropping out, a call to Umerex and a new mag catch solved the problem. One of the guys I shoot with also has one with no issues.

One of the big complaints seems to be the bolt lock and forward assist are just for looks and do not really work. Keep in mind this IS NOT an AR15, it simply looks like one. If having all the controle etc work like an AR consider a dedicated 22lr upper, about the same money as the Colt/Walther as long as you have a lower to use.

Hawkeye
    Last edited by Hawkeye54; December 6th, 2009 at 09:02 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye54 View Post
    Respects to Shawn and Legion, however hearsay is just that.
    very true.

the only verifiable complaint I know of was pics posted from a gun shop where one was dropped (Colt) and the lower reciever cracked in half. Maybe that one was out of spec, but it was disconcerting to see.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast