Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default OC Scares people - not

This is a typical argument - if you OC people are going to scream "Man with a gun!", faint, run away, call the cops, etc. While I have not yet approached the frequency of some of our members, I am OCing on my own property all the time. Now for most people that means sitting in the house, cutting the grass, taking out the garbage, etc. But I run a business on the property, and have customers present on a regular basis.

Today I had a gentleman come to the shop for business purposes. He is a long term acquaintance, not quite a friend, but almost. I was sporting my S&W M&P 9c in a DeSantis Speed Scabbard on my belt right out in front of God and everyone. He had come for the purpose of cutting some wood (a business related activity) and we spent some time in the shop looking at machinery, talking about various things, etc. We then proceeded to the field where the wood he wanted was located. There was lots of moving around, bending over, turning my back etc.

Eventually the topic of shooting came up. I mentioned that I was almost late to our appointment because we were off buying Mrs. Plinker her first gun. He asked me what she bought. I replied,

"She bought a Smith and Wesson M&P 9c, just like this one on my hip here."

"You have a gun on you?"

No surprise, no fear, just a question. We had been together with the evil machine out in full view for over half an hour and he hadn't even noticed it yet!

So for those of you who are concerned that people are going to run screaming from the room if you OC, the likelihood that it will happen is minimal. Sure, anything can happen, but probably not. The activity of my open carry has proven to be remarkably anticlimactic. And that is a good thing.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: OC Scares people - not

Quote Originally Posted by PennsyPlinker View Post

So for those of you who are concerned that people are going to run screaming from the room if you OC, the likelihood that it will happen is minimal. Sure, anything can happen, but probably not. The activity of my open carry has proven to be remarkably anticlimactic. And that is a good thing.

Yep, that's what I keep saying.... No one believes me though

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by PennsyPlinker View Post
    "She bought a Smith and Wesson M&P 9c, just like this one on my hip here."
    Why did you feel the need to point out the gun on your hip?

Quote Originally Posted by Thekatar View Post
    I think it was because I felt an overwhelming need to assert my manhood, to let him know that I was Boss, that he was completely in my power.

Well, not really. He asked me a question. I answered it with as much information as I thought would be pertinent. I did not say, "She bought a S&W just like the one stashed in my safe", or "just like the one hidden in my truck". I was completely convinced that he HAD to have seen it by that point. I was wrong in that he hadn't. And that is my whole point. People don't see what they don't expect to see. And even when they do, it is not a big deal.

[postus interruptus]

Another customer showed up to pick up their finished work. It was a young lady with four children in the van. She did not faint dead away, and I did not even feel the need to say, "Hey baby, check out my piece." Of course, she had a Ron Paul sticker in the window of the van, so she might not have been impressed anyway.

(Delaware County)

I dont find it hard to believe. We have been setting up a project for 5 months now, and the project owner has been in our office at least twice a week, sometimes as many as 3 times a day. Last week was the first time he noticed my Kahr. He has always been straight to the point about everything, so he asked "whats the gun for?" I didnt speak, but my partner told him he carries it all the time. Nothing more said, hes been back several times since.

(Monroe County)

I read that they were having a discussion about guns and he answered a question using his exact same weapon as an illustration. Why should he not point it out?

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

Quote Originally Posted by Chevmeister View Post
    ... so he asked "whats the gun for?"
    Why, it's for shooting things!"

When my kids were real little, one of the girls noticed me putting my gun on. She said to the air - i.e. anyone in the room who might have an answer for her:

"Why is Daddy taking his gun?"

The oldest daughter answered her in a very matter of fact voice:

"In case he needs to shoot somebody."

That has been my answer every time someone asks me why I carry - In case I need to shoot somebody.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    I read that they were having a discussion about guns and he answered a question using his exact same weapon as an illustration. Why should he not point it out?
    It seems like he was upset that the guy didn't notice. Or something.

Why the need to point out the firearm?

It seems like he was upset that the guy didn't notice. Or something.
    You're joking, right? How can you possibly read what I wrote and get the idea that I was upset about something?

Why the need to point out the firearm?
    Let's see, I have already posted a response answering your question directly, and headcase has already posted his impression, which is a whole lot more accurate than your "supposition". So now my question to you is now, why do you keep asking the same question when you have already received clarification from the OP (that would be me) and from someone else who read and understood the intent of my post? Of course, I could also ask if you have an agenda. Do you? No need to answer, I already have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thekatar
    I hate to be an apologist for the OC'ers
    Looking for an Oc'er to pillory? Pass me by. I'll have none of it from you. And if you want to respond so you can have the last word, have at it. I am done with you.

(Allegheny County)

Wow, you're defensive. Something must have struck a nerve.

I just can't understand why, if nobody paid attention to your firearm, you take the opportunity to say "Lookee here, look at this!! See! A gun!!"

I would think that you would have been happy not to have the weapon noticed.

I just like to understand people's motivations for things. I CC because I don't want to be noticed. I don't move my cover garment to point out that I have a gun if someone brings up a gun in conversation.

Oh well, I'm just talking to myself - you're done with me.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast