Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default OC does deter crime... I have proof

I was coming home today from work. I live in a townhouse which faces the street and I park on the street because I live in town, there is no where else to park. Well I had just come home from work and picking up my son from daycare. I had my gun on, open carry in the car. I always strap it back on when I get out of work.

Anyways, I park and as I always do I checked to make sure no one was coming on either side before I opened the door into the road. I don't need some jack ass taking my door off as I open it, or someone robbing me as I open it. I stepped out of the car and went around to the other side and got my lunch pail and laptop bag off the front seat and set it on the sidewalk inside the door, put the seat forward and then went to go unbuckle my son.

Suddenly (I mean in the manner of 2 seconds the following took place) two kids around the age of 13-14 came down the sidewalk riding on bikes too small for them (you know the gangster types). One split from the side walk on to the street, and he sorta flanked the drivers side door to distract me I guess... and the other came up on the side I was on. At this point my back was facing the side walk and I was kind of burried in the car getting my son out. I noticed the one kid on the other side kind of motioning to someone behind me. There was another kid on his bike on the sidewalk behind me. I didn't see him until he was right up on me. Mind you they were on bikes, so they were quick.

I heard the one in the street say "grab his bag". I went to condition orange instantly, I knew some shit was going down, but didn't know what right away. I turned quickly and faced my back to the car, I didn't grab my gun, just placed my palm over it as a reaction more than anything to protect it. I didn't need who ever was behind me getting a hold of it... well as I turned, the one kid on my side saw it, ducked back onto his bike and was gone... They both bolted rather quickly after I did that. I mean they were GONE.

As they rode off I saw them looking back multiple times... my heart was thumping, but I think I handled it well. Just a show of how quickly something can go awry... even with your radar on.

Also they didn't grab my bag, and even if they did, I'd prolly just trip his bike and take it back. In this case my open carry scared them off enough not to take it. If he pulled a gun, I would have emptied my mag.... but like I said I didn't know what was going on right away.

RE-EDITED TO CLARIFY A LITTLE MORE
    Last edited by Pro2A; June 23rd, 2009 at 09:18 PM.

(York County)

Default Re: OC does deter crime... I have proof

Quick thinking. Have a beer on me!
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Allegheny County)

Rep sent and well done. Just goes to show you how important situational awareness is.
    The 2nd amendment is the RESET BUTTON on the constitution.
    Faith, Fun, and Firearms.
    Grace Life Church member

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    I was coming home today, and I park on the street in front of my house because I live in town. Well I had come home from work and picking up my son from daycare. I strapped my holster back on like I always do when I get out of the car after work. (I was OC)

Well as I always do I checked to make sure no one was coming on either side before I opened the door into the road. I stepped out and went around to the other side and got my lunch pail and laptop bag off the front seat and set it on the sidewalk inside the door, and then went to go unbuckle my son.

Suddenly (I mean in the manner of 2 seconds the following took place) two kids around the age of 13-14 came down the sidewalk riding on bikes too small for them (you know the gangster types). One split from the side walk and he sorta flanked the drivers side door to distract me I guess... and the other came up on the side I was on. I didn't see him until he was right up on me. Mind you they were on bikes, so they were quick.

I heard the one in the street say "grab his bag". I went to condition orange instantly. I turned quickly and faced my back to the car, I didn't grab my 1911, just placed my palm over it as a reaction more than anything to protect it... the one kid on my side saw it, ducked back onto his bike and was gone... They both bolted rather quickly after I did that. I mean they were GONE.

As they rode off I saw them looking back multiple times... my heart was thumping, but I think I handled it well. Just a show of how quickly something can go awry... even with your radar on.

Edit: They didn't grab my bag.
    Your OC scared the children!!!!!! you need to go through the CC indoctrination camp!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Franklin County)

I can guess and probably nail in 2 guess where you live/were in town. It's ashame how crappy Chambersburg has become in spots. I've grew up here, and for the short time I've been alive, I've seen the decline.

But nice to see a fellow who is local. Be nice to go to the range sometime.

(Franklin County)

I live on West King... it's not so bad over here. They just come up from the section 8...

(Franklin County)

Ah, I live out on 997 by the Mall. Not much out here, but my Grandma, (RIP) used to live back on Washington St. I used to rollerblade, hang out with the old fogeys, and all kinds of stuff when I was little back there. It used to be alot nicer.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    Your OC scared the children!!!!!! you need to go through the CC indoctrination camp!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hahahha!!! Nice
    Regards Robert
    Smile... it increases your face value!
    Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not. ~Thomas Jefferson

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    I was coming home today, and I park on the street in front of my house because I live in town. Well I had come home from work and picking up my son from daycare. I strapped my holster back on like I always do when I get out of the car after work. (I was OC)

Well as I always do I checked to make sure no one was coming on either side before I opened the door into the road. I stepped out and went around to the other side and got my lunch pail and laptop bag off the front seat and set it on the sidewalk inside the door, and then went to go unbuckle my son.

Suddenly (I mean in the manner of 2 seconds the following took place) two kids around the age of 13-14 came down the sidewalk riding on bikes too small for them (you know the gangster types). One split from the side walk and he sorta flanked the drivers side door to distract me I guess... and the other came up on the side I was on. I didn't see him until he was right up on me. Mind you they were on bikes, so they were quick.

I heard the one in the street say "grab his bag". I went to condition orange instantly. I turned quickly and faced my back to the car, I didn't grab my 1911, just placed my palm over it as a reaction more than anything to protect it... the one kid on my side saw it, ducked back onto his bike and was gone... They both bolted rather quickly after I did that. I mean they were GONE.

Edit: They didn't grab my bag.
    Funny how the deterrent factor is an unquantifiable fantasy in a lot of OC arguments. I've experienced it twice, I know of at least three others on here who have experienced it, and now this. Isn't the argument usually the risk against the benefit? How many times is a person generally targeted as a crime victim? If OC stops it once, well, maybe that was your one time...

Great post.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    Funny how the deterrent factor is an unquantifiable fantasy in a lot of OC arguments. I've experienced it twice, I know of at least three others on here who have experienced it, and now this. Isn't the argument usually the risk against the benefit? How many times is a person generally targeted as a crime victim? If OC stops it once, well, maybe that was your one time...

Great post.
    C'Mon, OC will ruin it for everyone!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast