Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: pistols for disabled use

Smith and Wesson has their EZ Rack system line of guns. I*ve never used one but supposedly they are designed for people who have trouble racking a gun because of health problems. They also claim easy to load magazines and easy to clean. They might be worth looking into and researching.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/shield-ez-180023

(Delaware County)

Sorry to hear. I am in agreement. A revolver with a speed loader sounds like a win.
    Don’t like me ???? Tough, I don’t give a flying f@@k about ya.

(Chester County)

I just did a little search and looked at the weight of a Ruger SR 1911 full size at 39.0 oz. vs a S&W 686+ .357 mag w/a 7 round cylinder at 35.8 oz. They are comparable in size except for thickness and I don't think you'll feel undergunned with 7 rounds of .357, also .38 spl. out of a 686 is like a pop gun. Something to consider.
    Last edited by eatmydust; August 7th, 2024 at 06:48 AM.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    Sorry to hear that man. I don't know what to tell you for the best way to practice, but I used to shoot a 1911 in bullseye and that's one handed. Not the same as action shooting, but it can be done pretty well with practice. Maybe start with holding a weight with your arm outstretched and try and build muscle that way. That'll probably be the biggest thing in learning some one handed techniques for now.
    shooting (actually launching bullets) one-handed is not my concern. i worry more about malfunction clearing, loading and the like

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
    I just did a little search and looked at the weight of a Ruger SR 1911 full size at 39.0 oz. vs a S&W 686+ .357 mag w/a 7 round cylinder at 35.8 oz. They are comparable in size except for thickness and I don't think you'll feel undergunned with 7 rounds of .357, also .38 spl. out of a 686 is like a pop gun. Something to consider.
    again. it's not the shooting or weight that concerns me - right hand and arm are still good. it's clearing malfunctions and re/loading, etc. i wonder about

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    again. it's not the shooting or weight that concerns me - right hand and arm are still good. it's clearing malfunctions and re/loading, etc. i wonder about
    Sounds like a "New York reload" is the best answer.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
    Sounds like a "New York reload" is the best answer.

(Delaware County)

I never had a malfunction in a revolver that wasn*t cleared by pulling the trigger again. Reloads via a speed loader are safe holding the gun between your knees or even laid on a surface.

(Lancaster County)

Have you considered the Ruger sp 101 revolver in 9mm that uses full moon clips? Moon clips should help with one hand reloads and 9 mm is cheap ammo for practice. But recoil was more than I expected compared to similar weight 9mm semi auto, but still not that bad.

The moon clips would probably be harder to load than the cylinder of a revolver. But you would do this at home not under stress and when at the range or when carrying the loaded moon clips should make loading easier. So, you could buy extra clips and load at home or have a friend load the clips. I am sure with some thought a device could be made to assist you in loading clips.

With this revolver you can load and fire without moon clips but need moon clip to eject round with ejection rod. If load without moon clips need dowel rod, pencil, etc. to punch out rounds individually, which you should be able to do one handed.
    https://ruger.com/products/sp101/specSheets/5783.html
    Last edited by jack76590; August 12th, 2024 at 10:10 PM. Reason: added thoughts

(Delaware County)

I shoot a lot of moon clipped revolvers in competition. Moon clips are fragile. They bend very easily and a subtly bent moon clip might well appear to drop in, and then tie up the gun when the cylinder is closed. A minor tragedy losing a half a minute on an ICORE stage. Much more serious on the street.

Now, having the initial charge in a moon clip is a good thing. The clipped brass ejects much more reliably.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123