Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Adams County)

Default A "what would you do" scenerio. 5/19

Here is the scenerio:

You and your wife are driving home with your two kids, ages 5 and 2. Your wife wants to stop for snacks at a convenience store. As you pull into the store parking lot and park close to the door, you look back and notice that the kids are sleeping. You offer to go in, but she insists that you always pick up the wrong stuff. So she heads in, while you wait out front. After a minute or two, you see two guys approach the door, neither looks suspicious. One guy walks in and towards the back. The other one hestitated a few seconds then turns to walk in. As he turns his jacket blows open and you see a gun stuffed in his waistband. He goes up to the clerk and starts talking to her. You can see that he didn't pull the gun but he is pointing to it and the clerk looks scared.

Basically, I am trying to convey that you can see what is happening and it looks like a robbery, but your wife and other patrons do not notice anything.

For the purpose of this excercise:
    Your wife is not carrying, but you are.
    They are your kids, or your nephews or something.
    You have a cellphone, and maybe your wife does too, but you do not know if it is on silent.

The choices I am trying to herd you into are:
    After calling the police and reporting it, Do you stay put and hope for the best?

After calling the Police, run in and try to save the day, leaving the kids in the car?

After calling the police while moving the car around back, leave the kids in the car and go in to get your wife out?

Of course if you have a better idea feel free to share it, these are just the ideas that I had in mind as your options.

With limited info, you may have to assume certain conditions to fullfill your plan.

It seems that in the situation you can either possibly endanger the kids to save your wife or leave your wife to defend herself while protecting the kids.
    Or you could just hope that the robbery plays itself out and no one gets hurt before they leave.

What say you? Is there a way out where no one is in danger?
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

(Bucks County)

Default Re: A "what would you do" scenerio. 5/19

Call or text the wife's cell phone, call the cops, move the car with the kids further away, wait for cops with gun at the ready if needed.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by PocketProtector View Post
    Call or text the wife's cell phone, call the cops, move the car with the kids further away, wait for cops with gun at the ready if needed.
    yep.

Look, I have worked in the C-store industry for a long time. I have been in many robberies. I have had to open safes at gunpoint, more than once.
    In this sort of senerio as soon as she hands over the $$$ the guy will try to get out of there ASAP.
    They are not there to do anything but score some quick cash, are scared, jumpy, and prob dont even have the gun loaded.
    The best way to find out if that gun is loaded and to leave your children without parents is to go storming in.

Pay attention, look for as many identifing details as possible so that when these guys get caught you can help put them away.
    Always look at the shoes. people will change, or toss out, shirts and jackets and such, but tend to be wearing the same shoes.

(Monroe County)

Hmmm, I think you back the car up and as far out off the way as you can, draw your weapon, and see what happens. First priority is the kids, and by knowingly going into the store, you leave them defensless and put yourself and your wife in danger. Calling or texting is a bad idea as well, as you don't know what her reaction is going to be. Even if she calmly starts to walk out of the store, who says the BG's don't grab her to keep control of the situation? If the BG is only pointing to his weapon and hasn't drawn it, chances are he doesn't want to get involved in a huge scene, and just wants a fast hit and go. When they leave, you get as much info as you can and then call the police. Never call the cops about a robbery in progress, if you are on the outside looking in. The chances of it turning into an armed hostage situation go through the roof when you do that. My 2 cents.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Lackawanna County)

My immediate answer is that there is nothing you can do in which nobody will be in danger. If there is a robbery going down (or any crime, for that matter), and there is a firearm involved, somebody is in danger. In this scenario, I would agree that the kids are top priority...they need to removed from the scene.
    Now, I'm not a parent, but I would not leave the vehicle to go investigate. Just because you only see 2 BG's, does not mean a third is not watching YOU. If you drive out back and leave the kids in the car to check out the scene, it is possible you may return to an empty car. Chances are the BG's are just in it for a quick bit of cash and will leave w/o doing anything terribly stupid (like draw their weapon or take a hostage). I would exit the vehicle, but not stray far from it, with my pistol at the ready. Other than that, I wouldn't provoke anybody or attempt to intervene. Once the BG's "make their getaway" I would call the police and make sure everybody in the store is okay. If they are in there for an extended period of time, something may be going wrong, and I would then call the police before they left.
    "Stupidity needs to be painful..."

"There's not a problem in the world that can't be fixed with a serious ass whoopin'!" - Me

(Lehigh County)

Not enough info for me to really make a sound tactical judgment, as I don't know the exactly layout of the store and surrounding area. The general idea, however, would be to call 911 and give as short a message as possible (something like "I'm at the so-and-so store at this intersection, and I have reason to believe there's an armed robbery taking place"), then leave the cell phone on and place it on the hood of your car or somewhere else so you don't have to actively hold it. Then keep acutely aware of the scenario while staying near the car. If the guy at the counter actually draws his weapon, then you draw yours (if you're still outside, the guy probably is completely unaware that you're paying attention to him) and take him down.
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

What's wrong with you?

It's legal to open carry, isn't it?

And, if he isn't committing a crime, it's also legal to have a handgun? Right?

Or, am I missing something... It's not like everyday a bunch of men walk into a family restaurant open carrying a handgun...

My God - What are people supposed to think? Perhaps this man knows the cashier and is engaged in a conversation...

(Perry County)

Well I can't really imagine there is anything safe for you to do. If you barge in and scare the guy he may end up shooting when he never intended to do so. You wouldn't want fatherless kids. (Let alone ones who would become anti-gun do to your murder)

He could be open carrying and just a friend of the cashier as someone else suggested.

Since this is a hypothetical wife and kids I could always rely on her martial arts skills. (My dream girl is Japanese and randomly has a Russian accent)

(Lehigh County)

rule of thumb is that someone who carries "mexican-style" or without a holster, is up to no good.
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    yep.

Look, I have worked in the C-store industry for a long time. I have been in many robberies. I have had to open safes at gunpoint, more than once.
    In this sort of senerio as soon as she hands over the $$$ the guy will try to get out of there ASAP.
    They are not there to do anything but score some quick cash, are scared, jumpy, and prob dont even have the gun loaded.
    The best way to find out if that gun is loaded and to leave your children without parents is to go storming in.

Pay attention, look for as many identifing details as possible so that when these guys get caught you can help put them away.
    Always look at the shoes. people will change, or toss out, shirts and jackets and such, but tend to be wearing the same shoes.
    Wise words from one of us who has been through this many times.

I would stay in the car, firearm at the ready. After the BG's have left, I would call the police. My life priorities in a survival situation:

1) Me (I am no good to my family if I am dead)
    2) My children
    3) My wife

It's a no brainer for me. Protect the kids and notify the authorities.
    VEGETARIAN: Native American word meaning "bad hunter"

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast