Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Potter County)

Default Re: Interaction with state policeman

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Locking one's self out is why I keep a spare key in my wallet. No need for the rubber/plastic grip on it, just cut it off so it's slimmer, and put it in a fold.

yep ! i carry two in my wallet with the plastic part removed, one for each vehicle

inexpensive soulition for a big problem !
    gun control dosen't work, career criminal control will !

(Monroe County)

I am glad everything worked out.

Good on the troop for handling it right.

For me, no way the kid is locked in the car that long on the side of that kill zone. Windows can be replaced easy.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    As long as you know/remember the pass-number
    You can program in any five digit number you want. I put in a number I could never forget short of Alzheimer's.
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by pedaler73 View Post
    I've been debating whether to post this or not because of what happened to my girlfriend. I talked it over with her, and she was fine with me posting the story.

Last Tuesday, we went to the King of Prussia Mall after picking up some paperwork she needed in Philly. On our way back to Allentown, I was basically falling asleep at the wheel, so I asked her to switch places with me. I pulled over to the side of the NE Extension of the turnpike, halfway between the Mid-County and Lansdale tolls. Somehow, as we both got out of the car at the same time, one of us must have hit the lock button, and we locked ourselves out of the car. Here's the kicker...her 21-month old was locked locked in the car, asleep! Unfortunately, this was the night that the weather was real crappy...practically freezing rain. We were locked out of the car without coats, freezing wet and getting very upset waiting for help that was taking too long. Here's where the story turns to carrying. The first to arrive was a state trooper. He asked to see my driver's license. When I removed it from my wallet, he also noticed my LTCF.

Trooper: You carrying now?
    Me: Yes, sir.
    Trooper: Where is it?
    Me: On my right hip, under my shirt.
    Trooper: Okay, let me see that license, too.

He didn't check the weapon, didn't try to disarm me. As a matter of fact, he never even mentioned it the rest of the time on the side of the road.

To finish the story, we got in eventually with the help of a tow truck driver...over an hour later! Unfortunately, what happened to my girlfriend really destroyed the night. She had a panic attack because of not being able to get to her daughter, which then caused her to have an asthma attack. She spent the evening in the Lansdale Hospital ER. We make light of it now, but it could have been a hell of a lot worse.
    Man that sucks. What kind of car is it? In my car, it's impossible to lock yourself out because of the way the locking system works. This is a very good thing for me, because I'm a certified airhead when it comes to things like losing keys, etc.

I'm pretty sure at least one time in my past either I or maybe my mother actually managed to lock us out of the car with it still running. And my 2-year-old daughter once managed to lock my wife out of the house in her PJs when she was taking some trash out to the garage. She had to go running to the neighbor's house to call me home from work, and the baby was hysterical almost the whole time. But we never had the two happen together.

Couple of suggestions:

1. Carry a spare in your wallet, like one person suggested.

2. Get a hide-a-key if you don't want to carry one. Any car thief worth his salt isn't going to bother looking for it anyway because he most likely can get into and away with your car faster than he could find it.

3. Put your LTCF in a section of your wallet that is not visible when you get your DL out. I can't believe how many stories I've heard just on this site where people were CCing and were hassled about it during a routine traffic stop just because the officer saw it when the driver was taking out his DL.
    Almost a LIB .... ertarian

(Schuylkill County)

Glad everything worked out for you, but I do have to agree the window would have been gone if my little girl was in there for a minute, esspecialy on the turnpike.....

But yeah Ford is the way to go the keypad is a godsend for brianfarts.

(Bucks County)

Lower your comp deductible on your auto policy to zero which usually costs next to nothing. Glass breakage is covered under your comp on your auto policy and there is no chargable claim that will be assesed to your policy. Everyone should cary a zero deductible on comp.
    Look to the One Who is wearing what should have been your scars...

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by pedaler73 View Post
    I've been debating whether to post this or not because of what happened to my girlfriend. I talked it over with her, and she was fine with me posting the story.

Last Tuesday, we went to the King of Prussia Mall after picking up some paperwork she needed in Philly. On our way back to Allentown, I was basically falling asleep at the wheel, so I asked her to switch places with me. I pulled over to the side of the NE Extension of the turnpike, halfway between the Mid-County and Lansdale tolls. Somehow, as we both got out of the car at the same time, one of us must have hit the lock button, and we locked ourselves out of the car. Here's the kicker...her 21-month old was locked locked in the car, asleep! Unfortunately, this was the night that the weather was real crappy...practically freezing rain. We were locked out of the car without coats, freezing wet and getting very upset waiting for help that was taking too long. Here's where the story turns to carrying. The first to arrive was a state trooper. He asked to see my driver's license. When I removed it from my wallet, he also noticed my LTCF.

Trooper: You carrying now?
    Me: Yes, sir.
    Trooper: Where is it?
    Me: On my right hip, under my shirt.
    Trooper: Okay, let me see that license, too.

He didn't check the weapon, didn't try to disarm me. As a matter of fact, he never even mentioned it the rest of the time on the side of the road.

To finish the story, we got in eventually with the help of a tow truck driver...over an hour later! Unfortunately, what happened to my girlfriend really destroyed the night. She had a panic attack because of not being able to get to her daughter, which then caused her to have an asthma attack. She spent the evening in the Lansdale Hospital ER. We make light of it now, but it could have been a hell of a lot worse.
    I would've smashed one of the windows to get into the car. That whole mess didn't worth the $300 that you have to pay for the window repair.

Al

(Bucks County)

I have 3 keys that are in my pocket at all times...spare house key, and spare car key for each car. I can't get locked out. since i wear jeans all the time my pocket contents are simply moved from pockets of dirty jeans to pockets of clean jeans...

(Montgomery County)

My wife locked our then two-year-old in the van, running, spare key in her handbag (also in van) at a school function late last spring. The UDPD officer showed up with a slim jim and a waiver, releasing the department from any liability due to damage. In the end, the waiver wasn't needed, the cop and I ended up getting along just fine after he adjusted his attitude, and the spare stays with me now.

Glad all is well for the OP. Especially after a night in THAT er...................
    "bukakee ≠ waterboarding" ~tlgpa

(Northampton County)

Geez, I'll make sure to break the glass if it happens again. Wow, you guys are harsh!!
    Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II .45 ACP, Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast