Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default can non resident w no pistol license get PA and/or Fla LTCF?

Hi all, i'm new to the forum, and am seeking some guidance. NY is my home state, and I do not have a pistol license from NY. The laws are alot tougher there as you all know. I spend about 40% of my time in Pittsburgh, as my fiance is in school here, and we maintain a small apt in the area. My name is not on the lease, and my driver license is from NY. Any way around switching my drivers license to PA to get a CCW LTCF here in PA? Since I spend so much time here, I do contribute to the local economy.

Also, if I cant get a CCW LTCF here in this state, am I correct that I may purchase a pistol and go to the range? If so, without a permit to have it in the car during transport to the range, can this cause a potential problem if stopped by LEO?

Lastly, I understand I may be able to obtain a non resident CCW LTCF from Fla, and if this is true will I be able to CCW in PA w the Fla permit (is reciprocity extended?), and will that allow me to obtain the non resident PA LTCF, even though my home state is NY?

Thanks all for any input and advice.

PS although I love it here, it snows almost every dam day! It's worse than NY!

(Venango County)

Default Re: can non resident w no pistol license get PA and/or Fla LTCF?

The only part of that that I know ( and I may have been miss informed) is that you are able to have a firearm in the vehicle. I think that it needs to be secured in the trunk, or other such way of keeping it out of reach. But only if you are on your way directly to or from a training excersize, the range, a gunsmith, etc. So no stopping to say hi to a friend along the way. Also, the ammo needs to be kept seperate, and the gun can't be loaded. I remember reading somewhere that loaded counts as a mag in the gun, a round in the chamber, and I think keeping the gun and ammo within a certain proximity of each other. But, when I got my first handgun, I asked about that. The guy told me to put the ammo in my glove box, keep the pistol in the box, and put the box in the trunk. And that if I went straight home and was pulled over, to be honest with the LEO in telling him what I had, and what I was doing. He said I shouldn't have any problems. Now granted, some of the information I got might be wrong. So I don't want you following this without getting it backed up. What I would honestly suggest would be getting ahold of a few different LEOs and finding out what they say you can and can't do, and anything they know of that might help you at. You might find someone that can help you out.

I actually used to live just outside of Pittsburgh, there are a few places that I wouldn't have minded carrying at when I was down there. But, I havn't been there since I was 19. Hopefully this information helps you, if only to point you in the right direction.

(Montgomery County)

You can only get a Non-Resident PA LTCF if you have permit from your state of residence. Being NY, and looking to be NYC by your listed location, a NY permit is not likely to happen.

However, FL doesn't require you to have a permit from your state of residence, and yes there is reciprocity between PA and FL.

(Allegheny County)

As an alternate LTCF substitute you can get a Utah Concealed Weapons Permit.

Both Florida and Utah require some level of training class be taken. Utah has a specific class that one can take to satisfy the requirement.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Jefferson County)

You can only transport a "firearm"(handgun) in a vehicle in PA without a license if you are going to/from: home, work, vacation home, range, gunsmith. Loaded magazines need only be in a separate container from the gun.

To be able to buy a handgun in PA you'll need proof you are a PA resident - your NYS drivers license will prove you are a NYS resident. Your photo ID, your drivers license, will need to reflect your current address. There are other means though for part-time residents.

You will not be able to get a PA LTCF since legally you're a NYS resident, and to get a PA nonresident LTCF you have to have a full carry permit from NYS. You can get a FL CWP which will allow you to carry in PA. But you still run into the problem of needing a gun.

Unlike New York, in the other 49 states a carry license/permit has NOTHING to do with the ability to buy guns. (in some it qualifies as a background check). You have to be a RESIDENT of the state in which you wish to buy a handgun in.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Unlike New York, in the other 49 states a carry license/permit has NOTHING to do with the ability to buy guns. (in some it qualifies as a background check). You have to be a RESIDENT of the state in which you wish to buy a handgun in.
    I neve knew either one of those things

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by jmarshall View Post
    I neve knew either one of those things

The first sentence about NY has been law since 1911 via the Sullivan Act, part about using it as a background check is from the Brady Act. The second sentence, law via the US Gun Control Act of 1968.
    Last edited by knight0334; February 19th, 2010 at 09:06 AM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    There was a thread on this very topic of buying guns out of state.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/240...-purchase.html

You do not need to be a resident of a state to buy a gun in that state. The shop will ship it to your local FFL near your home and they will complete the transfer to you. In NY and NJ this may be more problematic - I don't live there so I am not looking up the purchasing laws in those states. i.e. I don't know if NY prevents you from doing this.

If you had to be a resident of a state to buy a gun then firearms auction sites would not exist on the national level.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by falcn View Post
    There was a thread on this very topic of buying guns out of state.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/240...-purchase.html

You do not need to be a resident of a state to buy a gun in that state. The shop will ship it to your local FFL near your home and they will complete the transfer to you. In NY and NJ this may be more problematic - I don't live there so I am not looking up the purchasing laws in those states. i.e. I don't know if NY prevents you from doing this.

If you had to be a resident of a state to buy a gun then firearms auction sites would not exist on the national level.
    I'm well aware of the buy/transfer thing, and are only splitting hairs that didn't need to be addressed.

You overlooked the fact that the guy is in PA, intents to stay in PA a vast part of the time, is looking to take possession here, intends to keep his NY residency, and doesn't have a NY pistol license.

Without the at least a NY residence license - buying the gun and having it sent home to do the transfer would be pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by RetLtMedic View Post
    Hi all, i'm new to the forum, and am seeking some guidance. NY is my home state, and I do not have a pistol license from NY. The laws are alot tougher there as you all know. I spend about 40% of my time in Pittsburgh, as my fiance is in school here, and we maintain a small apt in the area. My name is not on the lease, and my driver license is from NY. Any way around switching my drivers license to PA to get a CCW LTCF here in PA?

IOW can you avoid establishing residency yet benefit from resident status
    with a resident LTCF?......No

Also, if I cant get a CCW LTCF here in this state, am I correct that I may purchase a pistol and go to the range?
    You can make a purchase here but final FFL transfer must be completed in your home state for a pistol, which appears you cannot do because you don't have the proper NYS guestapo approval.

If so, without a permit to have it in the car during transport to the range, can this cause a potential problem if stopped by LEO?
    Currently a moot point.
    At such time you legally purchase a pistol in your home state, and assuming you are legally transporting through your state.
    When in Pa without a LTCF (or similar document) transporting an unloaded handgun properly stored in your trunk is unlawful with only a few exceptions, such as target practice, hunting, or to and from a FFL with no unreasonable stops in between. To and from one's residences I think is OK, but your not on the lease so I'm not sure if that would be legal.

Lastly, I understand I may be able to obtain a non resident CCW LTCF from Fla, and if this is true will I be able to CCW in PA w the Fla permit (is reciprocity extended?)
    You would be good to go with any non res permit that Pa recognizes, including FL, which would negate all the issues in Pa.
    Of course you need to be sure that you are not running afoul of NYS law transporting the gun back and forth. A restricted permit may not allow this if you are not traveling for the sole purpose of target practice or hunting…..not sure.

, and will that allow me to obtain the non resident PA LTCF, even though my home state is NY?
    No. You need a permit from your home state to obtain a non res Pa.
    Most sheriffs will not issue to a NYS resident without a non restricted NY permit. This a source of controversy among some, but that is the current reality. At any rate a non res FL is every bit as good, so I don't see the need.

So basically the way I see it you need to first get a pistol transferred through NYS. Get a FL or Utah non res in the mean time. If possible obtain a NYS unrestricted permit. Be sure you can lawfully transport through NYS with a restricted permit.

OR

You could say fuck NY get a DL transfer, get on the lease, then obtain a resident LTCF
    And not look back. It would probably be quicker.

Edit:

Are from Long Island?

I would assume that means a non restricted permit is a no go.
    Also I would assume that means travel through NYC on some level?
    Lord knows how many more levels of complication are added by that?
    Last edited by God's Country; February 19th, 2010 at 10:18 AM.
    FUCK BIDEN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast