Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > General

Notices

General General firearm-related talk that does not fit into any of the other forums.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old May 19th, 2008, 04:03 PM

(Schuylkill County)
run silent run deep has a reputation beyond reputerun silent run deep has a reputation beyond reputerun silent run deep has a reputation beyond reputerun silent run deep has a reputation beyond reputerun silent run deep has a reputation beyond reputerun silent run deep has a reputation beyond reputerun silent run deep has a reputation beyond reputerun silent run deep has a reputation beyond reputerun silent run deep has a reputation beyond reputerun silent run deep has a reputation beyond reputerun silent run deep has a reputation beyond repute
Default Out of state gun purchase??

Scenario, I walk into a gun shop in another state find a good deal and want to make the purchase. What laws govern the transaction? The state of purchase, PA law? Do i have to have it shipped to a PA dealer for transfer ????? Pardon me if it has been discussed before.

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old May 19th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Super Mod: In Memoriam

(Montgomery County)
JayBell has a reputation beyond reputeJayBell has a reputation beyond reputeJayBell has a reputation beyond reputeJayBell has a reputation beyond reputeJayBell has a reputation beyond reputeJayBell has a reputation beyond reputeJayBell has a reputation beyond reputeJayBell has a reputation beyond reputeJayBell has a reputation beyond reputeJayBell has a reputation beyond reputeJayBell has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to JayBell Send a message via Yahoo to JayBell
Default Re: Out of state gun purchase??

Under federal law, you can buy a shotgun or rifle at a FFl Dealer in any state, following that federal and state laws.

Handguns may be purchased, but must be shipped back to a FFL dealer in your own state, and transferred to you via your home state law.

NFA items have to be trasferred to a dealer in your own state for transfer to you.

Under no circumstances is it legal to purchase/sell any handgun/rifle/shotgun face to face from a resident of any other state without involving a FFL in the buyers home state.

thats how it works.

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

Last edited by JayBell; May 19th, 2008 at 04:11 PM.
Old May 21st, 2008, 10:17 PM

(York County)
theSaj has a reputation beyond reputetheSaj has a reputation beyond reputetheSaj has a reputation beyond reputetheSaj has a reputation beyond reputetheSaj has a reputation beyond reputetheSaj has a reputation beyond reputetheSaj has a reputation beyond reputetheSaj has a reputation beyond reputetheSaj has a reputation beyond reputetheSaj has a reputation beyond reputetheSaj has a reputation beyond repute

What about gifts? From parents? To parents? Etc?
Old May 21st, 2008, 11:18 PM
Super Mod: In Memoriam

(Montgomery County)
JayBell has a reputation beyond reputeJayBell has a reputation beyond reputeJayBell has a reputation beyond reputeJayBell has a reputation beyond reputeJayBell has a reputation beyond reputeJayBell has a reputation beyond reputeJayBell has a reputation beyond reputeJayBell has a reputation beyond reputeJayBell has a reputation beyond reputeJayBell has a reputation beyond reputeJayBell has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to JayBell Send a message via Yahoo to JayBell

Federal law makes no exception for parent-child-family transfers when involving crossing state lines.
A ffl must be involved in the buyers (or other person taking receipt) home state (or if a longarm, at a FFL).

State laws may vary.

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

Last edited by JayBell; May 21st, 2008 at 11:20 PM.
Old May 21st, 2008, 11:38 PM

(Westmoreland County)
Tokamak has a reputation beyond reputeTokamak has a reputation beyond reputeTokamak has a reputation beyond reputeTokamak has a reputation beyond reputeTokamak has a reputation beyond reputeTokamak has a reputation beyond reputeTokamak has a reputation beyond reputeTokamak has a reputation beyond reputeTokamak has a reputation beyond reputeTokamak has a reputation beyond reputeTokamak has a reputation beyond repute

The only experience I had with that was buying from Cabelas in WV.

They had a SW Model 10 we wanted. It was a reasonably priced Hong Kong police model with a lanyard - really handsome blued revolver. Still one of the most accurate revolvers I have ever shot.

Anyway, long story short. Contacted Braverman's in Wilkinsbugh. They accepted it from Cabela's for me (fee of under 40 if I remember correctly). Had to do the paperwork as if we were buying a pistol from Braverman's and that was it.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 12:41 PM
PAFOA Gold Supporter

(Washington County)
colagrrl has a reputation beyond reputecolagrrl has a reputation beyond reputecolagrrl has a reputation beyond reputecolagrrl has a reputation beyond reputecolagrrl has a reputation beyond reputecolagrrl has a reputation beyond reputecolagrrl has a reputation beyond reputecolagrrl has a reputation beyond reputecolagrrl has a reputation beyond reputecolagrrl has a reputation beyond reputecolagrrl has a reputation beyond repute

In regard to handguns, do prices at shops typically vary from state to state? Kind of along the lines of supply and demand?

Last summer when I was in North Carolina, I saw Bersa handguns that were priced considerably less than the prices that I was seeing up here. Not just a few dollars less, but more like an average of $50 less or more.

That said, how many of you take a copy of your local FFL's paperwork when you go on vacation? I found a local FFL with a great price, so I'm actually thinking of doing that this summer. Maybe that sounds weird to some, but I'd like to be prepared if I come across a new or used handgun that I want. Yeah, my vacations involve stopping at all the local gun shops & sporting goods stores