Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Officer disarming Question

This is a question which popped in my mind after reading several threads on here and also reading a thread about a former police officer cleaning his gun and shooting his child in the head. And also remembering the video of the cop shooting himself demonstrating gun safety, and the list goes on.
    Here's my question, if anybody has an answer. If a police officer disarms you for "everyone's safety" and he shoots himself, you, or somebody else with your gun by mishandling it, who is responsible? If you consent to being disarmed might you be partially responsible? What if you don't consent and it happens? Several related questions here, Mods if this is in the wrong venue I apologize and move it to appropriate place.
    The answer to a fool is silence.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Officer disarming Question

Have you ever had a traffic ticket, or a disagreement with a cop? Did they tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth?
    If your scenario were to occur: I'd bet money that "you wiggled at the wrong time time, or twisted to voice your non-consent and it accidentally caused the gun to fire". YOU should have been more careful. YOU better pray it's you that gets hit and not friendly old officer safety minded.
    Not all cops are as I described. Some would let you keep your weapon and your rights intact.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Sunrise View Post
    This is a question which popped in my mind after reading several threads on here and also reading a thread about a former police officer cleaning his gun and shooting his child in the head. And also remembering the video of the cop shooting himself demonstrating gun safety, and the list goes on.
    Here's my question, if anybody has an answer. If a police officer disarms you for "everyone's safety" and he shoots himself, you, or somebody else with your gun by mishandling it, who is responsible? If you consent to being disarmed might you be partially responsible? What if you don't consent and it happens? Several related questions here, Mods if this is in the wrong venue I apologize and move it to appropriate place.
    that's a good question, one i brought up to the Scranton PD when i filed my complaint about being disarmed illegally. i was told that in the incredibly rare circumstance it happens (), the officers responding would be held accountable for any damges or injuries that may occur.

i'm holding my breath...

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    that's a good question, one i brought up to the Scranton PD when i filed my complaint about being disarmed illegally. i was told that in the incredibly rare circumstance it happens (), the officers responding would be held accountable for any damges or injuries that may occur.

i'm holding my breath...
    Were you OC or CC at that time? I'm assuming OC. It just has to suck to be legally carrying and having police trying to change the circumstances on you. I've read many threads where rights were violated big time, even the current one going on now. Police are here to enforce the law not create them, and if they're not sure they shouldn't act upon it. Thus the lawsuits.
    Are they accountable for handling possibly handling a gun they know nothing about, people get trigger jobs etc. I'm sure it happens, don't think anyone has been killed though, yet. Anyway at least you have it a hell of a lot better than we have it over here as far as second Amendment rights.

(Monroe County)

No matter what happens, the incident would be spun to reflect that there would have been no incident if Joe Public hadn't been carrying an evil gun in the first place.....

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    No matter what happens, the incident would be spun to reflect that there would have been no incident if Joe Public hadn't been carrying an evil gun in the first place.....
    ^^^^^^^^THIS!!!!!!^^^^^^^^^^

More than likely that would be the anti gun media response. But the reality of it is, if the police officer didn't violate your rights it would not have happened in the first place. After all a holstered gun never hurt anybody....except maybe Barney Fife.

(Luzerne County)

What he said.

(Lackawanna County)

You or me, lying on the ground bleeding out, our gun on the ground next to our body, and Officer Friendly on the radio reporting "sumbiotch pulled a gun on me..."
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by wa3ra View Post
    You or me, lying on the ground bleeding out, our gun on the ground next to our body, and Officer Friendly on the radio reporting "sumbiotch pulled a gun on me..."
    word to tha mutha...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast