Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Can you shoot at a gun range or on private property in another state...

Few things here. I'm backing Customloaded here. I know of no state that 100% bans firearms. Also, he DID say in compliance with the state's law (whatever that may be), so don't forget that. For instance, in NY, unless engaged in a NRA competition you can't transport a handgun into the state to use. Only if your transporting it through the state. I think someone on here even asked someone in NY law enforcement and they said if your caught with a handgun in NY from out of state your getting arrested.

People literally do this ALL of the time.

Pennsy, you check with whatever state your going to's laws. Also check federal law as well. Like state before, Federal law trumps state law. I'm sure wherever your going you'll be just fine. Especially if its long guns and especially if your going to private property. Like previously stated, your not CCing.

I don't see what the big deal about this is. I kinda thought this was common knowledge.

(York County)

Default Re: Can you shoot at a gun range or on private property in another state...

From the MD General Assembly website:
    §4–203.
    (a) (1) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, a person may not:
    (i) wear, carry, or transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, on or about the person;
    (ii) wear, carry, or knowingly transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, in a vehicle traveling on a road or parking lot generally used by the public, highway, waterway, or airway of the State;
    (iii) violate item (i) or (ii) of this paragraph while on public school property in the State; or
    (iv) violate item (i) or (ii) of this paragraph with the deliberate purpose of injuring or killing another person.
    (2) There is a rebuttable presumption that a person who transports a handgun under paragraph (1)(ii) of this subsection transports the handgun knowingly.
    (b) This section does not prohibit:(1) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a person who is on active assignment engaged in law enforcement, is authorized at the time and under the circumstances to wear, carry, or transport the handgun as part of the person’s official equipment, and is:
    (i) a law enforcement official of the United States, the State, or a county or city of the State;
    (ii) a member of the armed forces of the United States or of the National Guard on duty or traveling to or from duty;
    (iii) a law enforcement official of another state or subdivision of another state temporarily in this State on official business;
    (iv) a correctional officer or warden of a correctional facility in the State;
    (v) a sheriff or full-time assistant or deputy sheriff of the State; or
    (vi) a temporary or part-time sheriff’s deputy;
    (2) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a person to whom a permit to wear, carry, or transport the handgun has been issued under Title 5, Subtitle 3 of the Public Safety Article;
    (3) the carrying of a handgun on the person or in a vehicle while the person is transporting the handgun to or from the place of legal purchase or sale, or to or from a bona fide repair shop, or between bona fide residences of the person, or between the bona fide residence and place of business of the person, if the business is operated and owned substantially by the person if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;
    (4) the wearing, carrying, or transporting by a person of a handgun used in connection with an organized military activity, a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, a Department of Natural Resources-sponsored firearms and hunter safety class, trapping, or a dog obedience training class or show, while the person is engaged in, on the way to, or returning from that activity if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;
    (5) the moving by a bona fide gun collector of part or all of the collector’s gun collection from place to place for public or private exhibition if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;
    (6) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a person on real estate that the person owns or leases or where the person resides or within the confines of a business establishment that the person owns or leases;
    (7) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a supervisory employee:
    (i) in the course of employment;
    (ii) within the confines of the business establishment in which the supervisory employee is employed; and
    (iii) when so authorized by the owner or manager of the business establishment; or
    (8) the carrying or transporting of a signal pistol or other visual distress signal approved by the United States Coast Guard in a vessel on the waterways of the State or, if the signal pistol or other visual distress signal is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case, in a vehicle.
    (c) (1) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to the penalties provided in this subsection.
    (2) If the person has not previously been convicted under this section, § 4-204 of this subtitle, or § 4-101 or § 4-102 of this title:
    (i) except as provided in item (ii) of this paragraph, the person is subject to imprisonment for not less than 30 days and not exceeding 3 years or a fine of not less than $250 and not exceeding $2,500 or both; or
    (ii) if the person violates subsection (a)(1)(iii) of this section, the person shall be sentenced to imprisonment for not less than 90 days.
    (3) (i) If the person has previously been convicted once under this section, § 4-204 of this subtitle, or § 4-101 or § 4-102 of this title:
    1. except as provided in item 2 of this subparagraph, the person is subject to imprisonment for not less than 1 year and not exceeding 10 years; or
    2. if the person violates subsection (a)(1)(iii) of this section, the person is subject to imprisonment for not less than 3 years and not exceeding 10 years.
    (ii) The court may not impose less than the applicable minimum sentence provided under subparagraph (i) of this paragraph.
    (4) (i) If the person has previously been convicted more than once under this section, § 4-204 of this subtitle, or § 4-101 or § 4-102 of this title, or of any combination of these crimes:
    1. except as provided in item (2) of this subparagraph, the person is subject to imprisonment for not less than 3 years and not exceeding 10 years; or
    2. A. if the person violates subsection (a)(1)(iii) of this section, the person is subject to imprisonment for not less than 5 years and not exceeding 10 years; or
    B. if the person violates subsection (a)(1)(iv) of this section, the person is subject to imprisonment for not less than 5 years and not exceeding 10 years.
    (ii) The court may not impose less than the applicable minimum sentence provided under subparagraph (i) of this paragraph.

Keep it unloaded with ammo locked away seperate and have fun!
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" -- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Help, I can't find anything other than forum garble to clarify this.'
    I think there is confussion in MD as to wheter or not the ammo has to be carried in the original container and NOT in the seperated magazine.

Something about the loaded magazine makes the gun redialy functional.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Franky4Fingers View Post
    ... For instance, in NY, unless engaged in a NRA competition you can't transport a handgun into the state to use...
    Yeah, that would pretty much rule out taking a handgun into NY to shoot on someone's property, wouldn't it? That was one of the OP's questions, although with regard to MD. So, as I'm sure you know, you can't assume you can go to a state to do a little target practice.

In New Jersey you can't even LEAVE the state with a handgun unless your destination is a recognized activity out of state. And it's up to you to prove it to defend yourself, not up to them to prove you committed a crime. You automatically committed a crime by transporting a handgun. I can't even bring a handgun into NJ and sleep over at my parents' house for a range trip in the morning.

Although the posts are technically accurate, they are misleading in lack of details, cavalier attitude, and lack of caution. In the context of speaking of travel to states in general with a modest disclaimer for "state law."

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Yeah, that would pretty much rule out taking a handgun into NY to shoot on someone's property, wouldn't it? That was one of the OP's questions, although with regard to MD. So, as I'm sure you know, you can't assume you can go to a state to do a little target practice.
    umm...yeah, thats why its been said several times that you have to check and abide by the particular state in which you are traveling because there are some states like that with techincalities. But as also said, there is no 100% banned state. You have to find out the odds and ends. Which is something he also asked. He was going under a possible presumption that some states you cant take a gun in whatsoever. And thats false. Its also federal law that you can travel directly through any state in the union with any legally owned civilian gun, thats federal law there and trumps all states.

I believe the OP's question has been answered several times over... but I'll sum it up once again.

Find out the states law that your going to and every state you have to travel through's laws about transportation and usage in there state. You'll be able to take or shoot some type of gun in every state, no state is 100% banned.

I don't see what else could be discussed here.

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

MD is not as assinine as NY and NJ, one does not need a pistol permit or anything of that sort to possess. See the law posted by bighorn jd.

To be on the safest side, case the guns and all empty mags, put them in the trunk. Put the ammo in the back seat area. Or vice versa. Drive from point A in PA directly to point B in the Frostburg area, or take one last bathroom/gas/food break before the border, then make it point A mason dixon line straight to point B Frostburg area. Drive according to the traffic laws LOL, so cops don't notice you. Remember your 4A rights. I understand the western MD cops are pretty laid back though. We even have at least 1 county cop in my area ( rural) who is pro gun and knows about the self defense laws, as he told a neighbor to buy a gun after someone walked into his house who wasn't suppossed to be. I also imagine western MD rural people are like the ones around me. Today it sounded like WW3 around here LOL. People sighting in slug guns, some EBR-ish sounding stuff, pistol shooting, and even what sounded like someone firing off a cannon! It was coming from all directions and was all day long. I was not involved in any of it though, as the parents were outside all day doing stuff and my mother gets annoyed if I do any shooting when she is having to do alot of stuff outside. I would like to practice with the .22 on golf ball sized things though LOL.
    LOL, I am a woman...

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Franky4Fingers View Post
    <snip> Its also federal law that you can travel directly through any state in the union with any legally owned civilian gun, thats federal law there and trumps all states.<snip>.
    Ummm.... that is not federal law right there. Federal law says:

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12