Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Where to buy in Centre County

I moved here a couple of years ago from Indiana (as in the Hoosier State, not Indiana, PA), and haven't much explored gun shops. It's not like I don't have quite a few already, and to tell the truth, I'm kind of nervous about Pennsylvania's de facto gun registration. The ones I know about are Lion Country Supply, J&E, Robbins Gun Shop, Rapid Fire Sports, and Stem's, the guy who lives not a quarter mile down the road from here. I won't buy long guns at anyplace that doesn't sell handguns, so I buy ammo at Wally World, but not guns, and I don't buy at Dick's. So is that pretty much it for Centre County, or are there more places I haven't heard about?

I'm thinking about a 12-ga pump action to keep in the house for protection. Haven't shot a shotgun since I was 16 or so, and don't own one.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Where to buy in Centre County

For most of my purchases i make an hours trip to Clearfield to BoBs Army Navy. I really havent heard any of those other places other than J&E and its a nice little shop.
    Freedom is paid with the blood of those who understand what being free really means. (Me)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - 1775 Benjamin Franklin

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by bondc View Post
    The ones I know about are Lion Country Supply Not bad, lots of shotgun stuff more hunting based, J&E 2 good guys who recognized a lack of a true "gun shop" in the area, still getting off their feet but seem to be doing a good job, I've done a couple of transfer there and got a set of MEPS there, Robbins Gun Shopnot farmiliar with this one, is it maybe in milesburg?, Rapid Fire Sportssame thing, where's this at?, and Stem'sNice guy but can be difficult to get a hold of (so I have heard) and meet up with due to his work schedule, still a nice guy, the guy who lives not a quarter mile down the road from here. I won't buy long guns at anyplace that doesn't sell handguns, so I buy ammo at Wally World, but not guns, and I don't buy at Dick's. So is that pretty much it for Centre County, or are there more places I haven't heard about?

I'm thinking about a 12-ga pump action to keep in the house for protection. Haven't shot a shotgun since I was 16 or so, and don't own one.

Have you checked out Grices in clearfield? It's down the road from Bob's army navy. it's your typical "gun shop" Lot's of hunting stuff, some reloading stuff... guns out to wazoo. I've had mixed experiences with the staff there, everytime I've been there it's been diffrent. Hope that helps
    Cheers,
    Josh
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Centre County)

Where are Robbins, Rapid Fire and Stems?

Conklins is in Milesburg. I've only ever been in there once and wasn't too impressed.

J&E is a nice place. I just bought some reloading stuff there last week. That was the first time I'd been in there since they got all the reloading stuff. I'll definitely go back there.

RMC down in Mingoville is good for reloading supplies, and is THE place to go for muzzleloader stuff.

Millers between Lamar and Mill Hall is big. Phil has a lot of stuff. Huge selection of guns. Mostly hunting guns, but some milsurp guns too. Some things he's good on price, some things not. You just have to walk around and look for deals.

If you get down to Altoona there's the Frontier Gun Store and East Coast Gun Sales. Both are good.

East Coast is fairly new, lots of hunting guns and they also carry a lot or ARs. They have good prices on bullets and powder and other reloading supplies. Good selection of reloading stuff.

Frontier is a must see for any gun nut. He has a great collection of old militaria, both souvineers and guns. His prices are a bit high, but if milsurp is your thing, you HAVE to go to this place.
    Last edited by Mr White; June 16th, 2007 at 08:29 PM.

(Centre County)

There's also Port's in Bellefonte.
    For some reason, probably because it's tucked away off the main road and they're a "sporting goods" store, I tend to forget they're there.
    I was only in there once on a slow day for a quick browse. The old guy was friendly and invited me behind the counter to help myself in the fondling of guns.

(Centre County)

The problem with Ports is that they refuse to do internet transfers. Period, well at least thats what they tell me. There selection isnt terriable and it's where I did my first 2 transfers of pistols. definatly a "Hunting" gun shop
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Centre County)

J&E is a nice place. I just bought some reloading stuff there last week. That was the first time I'd been in there since they got all the reloading stuff. I'll definitely go back there.

If you get down to Altoona there's the Frontier Gun Store and East Coast Gun Sales. Both are good.
    I will have to check out J&E this week. I am all set up for the reloading - Deprimed and sized about 300 yesterday. Now I need to decide on ingrediants and where to buy.

I am not sure where Frontier is in Altoona - could this be Allegheny Trade? If not, then Allegheny Trade is a great little store. But by your description about Military and older stuff. it sounds very similar. Mark and Chuck are basically the owner/operators/chief cooks and bottle washers.

I have had only good expierences at Grice - with the exception that when they are busy - it is tough to get waited on. The good news to go along w/ that statement is that when it is your turn you get their undivided attention!!

Phil, his wife, and the 2 daughters at Miller's gave me an AMAZING first time buying experience 10 years ago when I bought my first pistol. Back then it was mainly the 1 daughter who waited on me. She now oversees the archery Dept.
    I was in there again about 3 weeks ago and was again impressed by the way they treated me. I spoke w/ all 4 in depth and will definitely consider them for future purchases. EXTREMELY knowledgeable and downright nice.

(Centre County)

Frontier?? Did I say Frontier? I meant Pioneer. They are in Juniata, on 2nd St, about 2 blocks off of 4th Ave. GMap "Altoona PA Gun Store" and it'll locate it for you.
    East Coast is a decent store too. They're in Duncansville, back behind Ainsley RV. If you're in the area, they're definitely worth a visit.

I hear mixed opinions on Millers. Some people love 'em and some people hate 'em. I've never had a bad experience with them. I like going there. I go there enough that they know me so that probably helps.
    Last edited by Mr White; June 17th, 2007 at 10:21 AM.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    Where are Robbins, Rapid Fire and Stems?
    Robbins is in Bellefonte and Rapid Fire is in Centre Hall (according to Google). Stem is the trucker that lives a quarter mile down the road (I live on the Scotia Ridge, about 2 miles from the range). I found out about him cause he's listed on gunbroker.com as one of the FFLs who do transfers for gunbroker.

(Centre County)

Where in Bellefonte is Robbins? Iv'e never seen their store or even heard of them.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast