Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default First time OCing

I have been in NC for about a week. While i was there, I picked up a new paddle holster for my Ruger LCP. I realize a LCP isn't a typical OC gun, but its the only pistol I have until I get a job.

I had sorta OCed in Charlotte, like when I was getting gas or such, but covered up when I walked around. I didn't want to ruffle feathers in another state. I decided today to OC when I got back.

I went to the Wawa in Skippack to get some gas with my brother. I OCed while filling up. We were going to eat there, but honestly I got nervous. There were a lot of suburbanite looking people and the PSP barracks is less than a half mile away. I'm 22 years old, and I doubt someone would assume I'm an LEO or something.

Instead I drove up 113 toward Harleysville, made a right on 63 and stopped at some pizza place next to another legacy (non-gas) Wawa.

We walked in and were the only people there. They didn't say anything and didn't seem to notice. I would be surprised if the waitress did notice since I was wearing a black t-shirt, black gun/holster, strong side facing the wall.

All was going well until.........

I fake slapped my brother for cursing and he knocked my hand into my full soda. Spilling it all over the table and ourselves haha. The waitress didn't look happy and I felt like a huge idiot! I had to stand up to move booths and helped clean it. But still no one noticed, or at least didn't look like they did. I paid (with a generous tip) and went home.

It was cool OCing, defiantly more comfortable. I have been CCing for about 10 months now.

-Alex
    Last edited by MontCo Alex; July 22nd, 2009 at 07:03 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: First time OCing

Nice report. Carry on!!!

Almost forgot... you're gonna ruin it for everyone!!!
    The 2nd amendment is the RESET BUTTON on the constitution.
    Faith, Fun, and Firearms.
    Grace Life Church member

(Monroe County)

I'm sure the, "NO GUNS ALLOWED!!!!!", signs were being put up before your car was out of the parking lot...

Good for you.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Lebanon County)

Welcome to the dark side where we're "going to ruin it for everyone". Congrats on an uneventful OC experience. The way it should be.

(Chester County)

OC Warning!!!- It is easy to become addicted. The more you try it, the more you want to do it. I've been finding that out myself lately.

You are right around the corner from me. Just let me know when you are ready for that OC lunch. I'm sure we could find a few more people around here to go with us.

Congrats!! +rep sent

Oh yeah, Your gonna ruin it... ahh never mind.
    Last edited by smithwessn; July 22nd, 2009 at 10:31 PM.

(Schuylkill County)

Which holster did you buy? I'm interested in one for my LCP.

The
    suburbanite looking people
    probably thought that you had some kind of PDA on your belt. I don't think anyone besides a gun-person would think the LCP was a gun. :-)

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by smithwessn View Post
    OC Warning!!!- It is easy to become addicted. The more you try it, the more you want to do it. I've been finding that out myself lately.

You are right around the corner from me. Just let me know when you are ready for that OC lunch. I'm sure we could find a few more people around here to go with us.

Congrats!! +rep sent

Oh yeah, Your gonna ruin it... ahh never mind.
    Yea defiantly a good idea. I remember talking about it in a previous thread with you and someone else in Spring city. I'll be out for the next two weeks (shore, then wisdom teeth removal ), but after that we'll try to get together.

Quote Originally Posted by vette97 View Post
    Which holster did you buy? I'm interested in one for my LCP.

The probably thought that you had some kind of PDA on your belt. I don't think anyone besides a gun-person would think the LCP was a gun. :-)
    I picked up a Fobus paddle holster shown here (the picture shown is a P3AT, it looks a lot better with a LCP in it haha)
    That being said, its not a level II retention holster. Although the retention is adjustable, and you can make it pretty tight. I made it pretty tight, then my cousin, who has been taking kung fu for a while now, tried to take it from me (it was unloaded of course!). So I got some practice with retention. Personally though, I don't think a gun grab in the area I live in is very likely, and I'm pretty good at situational awareness.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon118 View Post
    Nice report. Carry on!!!

Almost forgot... you're gonna ruin it for everyone!!!
    I don't get the 'you're gonna ruin it for everyone!!!' I'm assuming at some point in the past someone said this in response to OC, and it just spread from there?

-Alex

On another note, i posted my story on FMyLIfe, but it didn't get published! Though their FAQ says it was started by french guys. So I'm not surprised. Although their maps page makes it look like 80% of their posts come from the US so I dunno.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by MontCo Alex View Post
    I don't get the 'you're gonna ruin it for everyone!!!' I'm assuming at some point in the past someone said this in response to OC, and it just spread from there?................................

-Alex
    It is one of the most common accusations of people who are nominally pro gun, and even pro CC but anti OC. After they tell us that we are going to have the cops called on us everytime we venture outside, get thrown to the ground regularly, and spend many nights as guests of local municipality they usually like to add that OC will frighten people who will call their legislators and demand that any carry be outlawed, and have no guns signs put up in every business where we are seen, thereby ruining it for everyone.

With more and more people OCing and only a few businesses becoming no gun, we have sort of taken it up as a somewhat sarcastic addition to the usual congratulations to new and successful OCers.

For those keeping, score of the few businesses where we have been forced to parse out an actual policy
    For;
    Home Depot-Follow State Law
    Lowe's-Follow State Law
    Wal Mart-Follow State Law
    National Penn Bank and subsidiarys-No official policy, will not prohibit.
    Wendy's-Up to the owner, we think. Therefore will vary widely

Against;
    Giant
    Some malls (NB: despite haveing an official or posted no gun policy many OCers [like me] report having no problems whatsoever in malls to date, except when when the wife sees the no gun sign, and then there is no problem with the mall, just with the wife.)
    Some banks-change to National Penn, problem solved.

Places in which OCers have visited but not been bothered and therefore there was no need to ring corporate's bell;
    Too numerous to list.
    Last edited by truecrimson; July 23rd, 2009 at 11:14 AM.
    If you don't know who your state legislators are go here:
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/index.cfm
    put your zip plus 4 in the box in the upper right hand corner.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by truecrimson View Post
    It is one of the most common accusations of people who are nominally pro gun, and even pro CC but anti OC. After they tell us that we are going to have the cops called on us everytime we venture outside, get thrown to the ground regularly, and spend many nights as guests of local municipality they usually like to add that OC will frighten people who will call their legislators and demand that any carry be outlawed, and have no guns signs put up in every business where we are seen, thereby ruining it for everyone.

With more and more people OCing and only a few businesses becoming no gun, we have sort of taken it up as a somewhat sarcastic addition to the usual congratulations to new and successful OCers.

For those keeping, score of the few businesses where we have been forced to parse out an actual policy
    For;
    Home Depot-Follow State Law
    Lowe's-Follow State Law
    Wal Mart-Follow State Law
    National Penn Bank and subsidiarys-No official policy, will not prohibit.
    Wendy's-Up to the owner, we think. Therefore will vary widely

Against;
    Giant
    Some malls (NB: despite haveing an official or posted no gun policy many OCers [like me] report having no problems whatsoever in malls to date, except when when the wife sees the no gun sign, and then there is no problem with the mall, just with the wife.)
    Some banks-change to National Penn, problem solved.

Places in which OCers have visited but not been bothered and therefore there was no need to ring corporate's bell;
    Too numerous to list.
    I have been considering making a map website, which shows where you can and can't OC/CC. I'll probably start with PA then expand it to other states.

York City Pharmaceutical District, Pennsylvania
    (York County)

Quote Originally Posted by MontCo Alex View Post
    All was going well until.........
    ... until they started monitoring you on the email.

Good job playing it cool, as you should.

Continue to give. Continue to live... for what you know is right.

Just keep on keeping on!!!

There's still a lot of love among us. There's still a lot faithful and trust... when we keep on keeping on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast