Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Engraving is required...right???

The biggest reason for wanting a SBR from the factory is to eliminate the need for engraving of personal info. From what I have read on this very helpful forum, if I were to buy a lower to make into a SBR that personal info engraving is REQUIRED. I have not read differently anywhere...but I was just told differently by someone who should know. I am not going to say who I just spoke to, but I will say I was speaking to the "sbr guy" (as described by another employee at same company) from a well known company that builds dedicated .22 uppers among other things. I was told last week by this same company that they do sell SBR complete lowers. I liked the idea of using the same brand upper and lower. I called to order a complete upper and SBR lower today but changed my mind by the end of the phone call. I was told by the "SBR guy" today that they will NOT sell a complete SBR lower, only a complete rifle and the cost is considerably higher than just buying a complete upper and lower. He told me about the extra work/time on their part to sell it as a SBR to justify the added cost. I had no problems with that, but here's where it got strange to me. He told me that I could buy the lower and do the paperwork to make it a SBR myself and that it would take less time to do it that way. I said that I wanted to buy factory SBR so I didn't have to worry about the engraving. He said that I didn't have to have it engraved. I wasn't sure what to say because it was the exact opposite of my understanding. I asked why people that are building a SBR on the gun forums seem to always do the engraving and why all of the BATFE info I've seen says that it is required? I also informed him that previously I had contacted BATFE to ask about abbriviations in the engraving for a SBR. BATFE confirmed that making a SBR does in fact require the name/city engraved. The "sbr guy's" response was that I wasn't a manufacturer and that the engraving wasn't required. I never placed the order because I want to make 100% certain that if I buy a complete lower with the intentions of making it into a SBR on my own that the engraving is in fact required. It is, right??

(sorry it took so long to get to what is likely a stupid question)
    Last edited by MJH; June 29th, 2009 at 08:24 PM.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Engraving is required...right???

I marked mine, it's better safe than sorry in my eyes. If your that worried about having your name on the guy then a factor SBR would be the way to go. It's a topic that is clear as mud and there appears to be no true standard.

http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17660
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My understanding is that a factory made SBR will have the factory info on it. That is all that is required. the builder, not the owner. If you buy both parts and put them together, you are the builder. Since a factory built will already be assembled, they are the builder. No company, as far as I can tell, will sell a SBR lower only. A complete rifle is another story.

(Monroe County)

Yes, you are supposed to engrave your information.

Now, the serial number must be on the receiver, but the other info can be put on the barrel.

In either case it can not be obstructed.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer View Post
    Yes, you are supposed to engrave your information.

Now, the serial number must be on the receiver, but the other info can be put on the barrel.

In either case it can not be obstructed.
    if its ,,say,,a colt lower, wouldnt it then simply be a colt sbr?...after all, hes not actually forging the lower right? its still produced by a company. im probably way off, but that was just my thoughts.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    if its ,,say,,a colt lower, wouldnt it then simply be a colt sbr?...after all, hes not actually forging the lower right? its still produced by a company. im probably way off, but that was just my thoughts.
    Way off... Read bellow (quoted from above) and your mind shall be freed.

Quote Originally Posted by devinsdad View Post
    My understanding is that a factory made SBR will have the factory info on it. That is all that is required. the builder, not the owner. If you buy both parts and put them together, you are the builder. Since a factory built will already be assembled, they are the builder.
    Quote Originally Posted by devinsdad View Post
    No company, as far as I can tell, will sell a SBR lower only. A complete rifle is another story.
    I believe that Anvil Arms sells a SBR'd lower only and I'm sure there are a myriad of SOT II's that have SBR'd lowers and then sell them off with their info marked on them so that you don't have to engrave them with your info. If I recall correctly there is at least one dealer near harrisburg that has done this for people.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have been reading on many forums that the ATF has informed manufacturers not to sell "SBR Lowers" as these are not complete SBRs.
    My understanding is that the weapon must be assembled into an SBR to be an SBR, you can't just say "this is an SBR lower", It must physically be made into an SBR to be one.
    So to be legal a Manufacturer would need to assemble the weapon into an SBR, then disassemble it then sell you the lower.
    Yes this sounds absolutly stupid, but thats what I've read.(go over to ar15.com and do some searching).

YMMV

And yes, if YOU assemble an SBR, you ARE the manufacturer, and must have your info. on the firearm.
    NEVER TRUST A PRIVATE WITH A LOADED WEAPON OR AN OFFICER WITH A MAP

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by GUNGUY45 View Post
    I have been reading on many forums that the ATF has informed manufacturers not to sell "SBR Lowers" as these are not complete SBRs.
    My understanding is that the weapon must be assembled into an SBR to be an SBR, you can't just say "this is an SBR lower", It must physically be made into an SBR to be one.
    So to be legal a Manufacturer would need to assemble the weapon into an SBR, then disassemble it then sell you the lower.
    Yes this sounds absolutly stupid, but thats what I've read.(go over to ar15.com and do some searching).

YMMV

And yes, if YOU assemble an SBR, you ARE the manufacturer, and must have your info. on the firearm.
    so, in other words, just buy a complete sbr and avoid all the hassle?

(Monroe County)

"so, in other words, just buy a complete sbr and avoid all the hassle?"

If you want to pay the extra money go ahead. I know that Kahr/Auto Ordnance charges $600 extra for a SBR Thompson which is way too high in my opinion for just screwing on a shorter barrel.

(Chester County)

Chapter 6 of the ATF's NFA Handbook seems to indicate that engraving is required, due to creating an SBR from an existing weapon being considered "making" an NFA weapon, with makers being subject to the same marking requirements as manufacturers. That's how I read it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast