Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Schuylkill County)

Default Re: LTCF (2 References)

Wait, i specifically remember the Berks application had something on it about the references needing to be residents in the same county although i could be mistaken.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by J.W. View Post
    Wait, i specifically remember the Berks application had something on it about the references needing to be residents in the same county although i could be mistaken.
    You remember IN-correctly...

Berks app

#5 on instructions...is that correct?

Two good things....he only charges the $25 and issues while you wait

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    You remember IN-correctly...

Berks app

#5 on instructions...is that correct?

Two good things....he only charges the $25 and issues while you wait
    This is what I was told about Berks by a friend that recently got his LTCF. He was in and out in 15 minutes.

Other counties (Lehigh for sure, and Monroe I believe) say that the references must be from within the county. This requirement is not legal, as I understand it, because it violates the UFA. IANAL and this is my first time looking up the statute to quote it. Hopefully I got it right.

§6109. Licenses.

(c) Form of application and content.--The application for a license to carry a firearm shall be uniform throughout this Commonwealth and shall be on a form prescribed by the Pennsylvania State Police. The form may contain provisions, not exceeding one page, to assure compliance with this section. Issuing authorities shall use only the application form prescribed by the Pennsylvania State Police. One of the following reasons for obtaining a firearm license shall be set forth in the application: self-defense, employment, hunting and fishing, target shooting, gun collecting or another proper reason. The application form shall be dated and signed by the applicant and shall contain the following statement:

I have never been convicted of a crime that prohibits me from possessing or acquiring a firearm under Federal or State law. I am of sound mind and have never been committed to a mental institution. I hereby certify that the statements contained herein are true and correct to the best of my knowledge and belief. I understand that, if I knowingly make any false statements herein, I am subject to penalties prescribed by law. I authorize the sheriff, or his designee, or, in the case of first class cities, the chief or head of the police department, or his designee, to inspect only those records or documents relevant to information required for this application. If I am issued a license and knowingly become ineligible to legally possess or acquire firearms, I will promptly notify the sheriff of the county in which I reside or, if I reside in a city of the first class, the chief of police of that city.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by sbaker View Post
    This is what I was told about Berks by a friend that recently got his LTCF. He was in and out in 15 minutes.

Other counties (Lehigh for sure, and Monroe I believe) say that the references must be from within the county. This requirement is not legal, as I understand it, because it violates the UFA. IANAL and this is my first time looking up the statute to quote it. Hopefully I got it right.

§6109. Licenses.

(c) Form of application and content.--The application for a license to carry a firearm shall be uniform throughout this Commonwealth and shall be on a form prescribed by the Pennsylvania State Police. The form may contain provisions, not exceeding one page, to assure compliance with this section. Issuing authorities shall use only the application form prescribed by the Pennsylvania State Police. One of the following reasons for obtaining a firearm license shall be set forth in the application: self-defense, employment, hunting and fishing, target shooting, gun collecting or another proper reason. The application form shall be dated and signed by the applicant and shall contain the following statement:

I have never been convicted of a crime that prohibits me from possessing or acquiring a firearm under Federal or State law. I am of sound mind and have never been committed to a mental institution. I hereby certify that the statements contained herein are true and correct to the best of my knowledge and belief. I understand that, if I knowingly make any false statements herein, I am subject to penalties prescribed by law. I authorize the sheriff, or his designee, or, in the case of first class cities, the chief or head of the police department, or his designee, to inspect only those records or documents relevant to information required for this application. If I am issued a license and knowingly become ineligible to legally possess or acquire firearms, I will promptly notify the sheriff of the county in which I reside or, if I reside in a city of the first class, the chief of police of that city.
    The PSP gets to decide what is on the form, as long as it includes what the statute requires, and it may not exceed one page. The PSP decided to include two references on the form, and state that they may not be related to you. That is all. The counties making their own rules about residency of references will either process the application as you provide it, or not. If they do, and deny you based on residency of your references, you have a valid appeal. If they don't process it, you have a valid reason to take them to court over it.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Franklin County)

Thanks for all of the replies folks. I do have two references from Maryland and it was my bad that I thought they had to be PA residents. I'll be wearing a nice suit and I hope that keeps me from running into any snags LOL. Thanks again and keep safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Peddler View Post
    Thanks for all of the replies folks. I do have two references from Maryland and it was my bad that I thought they had to be PA residents. I'll be wearing a nice suit and I hope that keeps me from running into any snags LOL. Thanks again and keep safe.
    Here in Delco, the 19 year old girl who took my application would't have cared what I wore, and whoever handles your app won't either. You're in a "shall issue" state now brother - be free and wear tye-dye and flip-flops, you'll be fine.

(Allegheny County)

Does this mean Allegheny is in violation by stating the following on their page:
    "MUST include FULL Name, FULL Address & Phone Number; CANNOT be family member and MUST live in Pennsylvania." ?
    http://sheriffalleghenycounty.com/HT...earms_app.html
    If so, has anyone written to them to correct this yet?

York City Pharmaceutical District, Pennsylvania
    (York County)

I used two out of state references when I moved here.

York County.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MuzzleFlash View Post
    Does this mean Allegheny is in violation by stating the following on their page:
    "MUST include FULL Name, FULL Address & Phone Number; CANNOT be family member and MUST live in Pennsylvania." ?
    http://sheriffalleghenycounty.com/HT...earms_app.html
    If so, has anyone written to them to correct this yet?
    Correct...it doesnt give any stipulations on the app EXCEPT cannot be family. Lets say i give you an app and you never saw the website...how would you know?

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Correct...it doesnt give any stipulations on the app EXCEPT cannot be family. Lets say i give you an app and you never saw the website...how would you know?
    I'll have to check when I get home because I don't think Lehigh has the application online, but I thought their application said the references had to be from Lehigh right on it.

In a post several months ago, some people pointed out that they cannot refuse you for the residence of the references or they could be taken to court. But apparently, what they did at one sheriff's office was refuse to accept the application. I guess this would make a legal challenge a little more difficult since there is no official denial of the LTCF. IANAL, just bringing up what I remember.

I, like others, took the sad route of just giving them what they wanted (including additional proof of residency because I'm not a citizen) because I really wanted the LTCF.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast