Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Default Re: Open carry and what you should know before you do it

Fantastic thread. As a new resident of PA and an avid OCer, this thread has some very valuable information and links. Thank you!

(Monroe County)

Couple of things
    Quote Originally Posted by pricedo View Post
    The Sportsman's Firearm Permit is valid only for sporting purposes and does not authorize the carrying of a loaded handgun in a vehicle.
    I don't remember my question about where you found this being answered. Just to clarify, having a SP and a Hunting-ect.- license does indeed authorize carry of a loaded handgun in a vehicle, if you are going to, engaged in, or coming from hunting/fishing/furtaking/dog training. The combination qualifies you for exemption from 6106(a) under 6106(b)(9) or 6106(b)(10). That is specifically the kind of wrong information, lumped in with true information, that I spoke of when I said that was a really bad piece of information. If you stumble across this thread again, please tell me where you quoted that from.

Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    I understand what you are saying, i was only saying if one chooses to carry concealed, one should choose to wear certain clothes as to cover or hide their handgun or guns in doing so.

Also i was just stating my opinion in methods of carry. Not condeming others choices.
    jrm,
    It's cool. I think the fact that your profile shows you being from the island led him to post that the laws here are different. To be clear, in Pa., one can choose to conceal, carry openly, or any combination, switching from one to the other at any time. The only caveat is that if one conceals, or gets in a vehicle, one needs a LTCF. There is no penalty for printing or having your weapon become exposed, it just does not matter here. There are plenty of people who make sure they stay concealed at all times, but those who tend to OC usually are not concerned if they become exposed on the occasions they do intend to conceal.

Your opinions on carrying are your own and valid for you, and I thought you expressed them well. However, this may not be the best thread to do it in. OCers have had their actions bashed and their threads trolled on this forum so many times, that the CC and OC threads had to be separated into two distinct sub-forums. Not so long ago, a post similar to yours would have ignited a fifty page war. Many OCers are still pretty quick to get defensive here because of it. I understand your stated reasons for CCing, and while I don't necessarily agree with them, they are your reasons and are certainly valid for you.

Hope that helps

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Erie County)

Open carry doen`t make a lot of sense when there are vehicle restrictions and possibly more and a LTCF in PA is relatively easy to obtain if you have a clean record. Maybe I`m missing something that would make open carry a preferable way to carry,but concealed carry makes a lot more sense to me. When one open carries,people will stare,some will get nervous,some may even call 911 and report it to police. If a LEO sees you oc he will likely confront you and question you and hopefully he knows the PA gun laws and it ends there. Just my opinion.

(Erie County)

It appears that my previous post offended Ironsight and Howard Bullock. I didn`t mean to offend anyone. I didn`t know there was a separate forum on cc vs oc. I`m new to this forum and I thought it was open to opinion. Guess I was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan671 View Post
    It appears that my previous post offended Ironsight and Howard Bullock. I didn`t mean to offend anyone. I didn`t know there was a separate forum on cc vs oc. I`m new to this forum and I thought it was open to opinion. Guess I was wrong.
    Many people on this forum strongly support the right to OC. On an almost weekly basis a new member comes to the board and makes remarks that are anti-OC and just tries to stir the pot. If you want to discuss OC vs. CC do a search and find one of the many threads already discussing it. Just to warn you though, if you take a staunch anti-OC position don't expect to be welcomed kindly.

The real problem is, discussing the merits of OC vs. CC does NOT belong in this thread whatsoever. That was your biggest problem. OC is legal, plain and simple. If you don't like it, that's your opinion, but this thread isn't the place to discuss your own personal feelings on it.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

Some of us have thicker skin than others. I'm a staunch supporter of OC, and if you want to shoot me a PM or start a thread I'd be more than happy to talk to you about why it is I choose to OC 95% of the time, and the experiences that I have had OC'ing both in this state and my home state of Indiana. I see no reason as to why we can't have an intelligent and respectful conversation about our preferred method of carry.

(Lehigh County)

Offended? No. Your post was way off base for this thread, had nothing to do with the entire point of the thread, and a topic repeatedly discussed over and over and over again.

If you don't like OC, fine, don't OC, but don't clutter up the sticky threads in this forum with a debate over it.

(Northampton County)

I support oc prefer cc.

(York County)

I just wanted to provide a link to my (A) thread and to my (B) thread/pamphlet....

Also, I thought this t-shirt might be useful for those places where OC is frowned upon...

(Northampton County)

All the info I've been looking for, in one place. Time to get a coffee, a pen and paper and get down to biz.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread.

+1000
    Feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/...ayathomed.html

...infinite distraction...

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast